electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze » Miscellaneous Photo Gallery
my studio
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: my studio Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's what it looks like now...
More pictures in a couple of months!

studio.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  174.37 KB
 Viewed:  18470 Time(s)

studio.JPG

deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'd put in a buch of power outlets (every couple feet) if it's not too late. very convienent.

deknow
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Construction is complete.
Moving in this week!

studio1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  180.32 KB
 Viewed:  18398 Time(s)

studio1.JPG

studio2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  204.5 KB
 Viewed:  18399 Time(s)

studio2.JPG

egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Moved in but everything is still in boxes.

studioboxes.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  247.42 KB
 Viewed:  18292 Time(s)

studioboxes.JPG

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I visited the EGW studios yesterday. It's a beautiful house secluded in the woods. Greg and I rehearsed for a gig at the Fels Planetarium in Philly this Saturday. We played down in the basement because the studio isn't ready yet. I look forward to making some beautiful music in this studio eventually.

Congrats, Greg and Hong, on your beautiful new home...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like it will be fantastic!
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is one impressive stack of boxes! All this is studio gear?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it's all studio gear (and some furniture).
It looks like more when it's in boxes (including cables, manuals etc.)
Not shown are the media (CDs, tapes, records) and acoustic instruments.
It will be a while before I get everything set up.
Since I'm starting with a clean slate (previously I built up the studio one item at a time), I want to think carefully about what I will use and where it should be placed, how everything will be connected.
For now I still have my performance rig (G2, XL-7 and micromodular) that is surprisingly versatile, enough that I haven't really missed the studio.
redskull

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Marvelous space Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i had a nose around Trevor Horn's SARM studios. can't say which one or when (i shouldn't have been there...), but it was recent.

droooooool is all i'm gonna say.
distolectric

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

man, you got a huge place for creativity there...
i wish i could get half of this space to make my music Wink
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm pleased to report that the studio is operational.
I still have a lot of work to do but I can make something that resembles music now.

left.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  247.43 KB
 Viewed:  18064 Time(s)

left.jpg

right.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  222.12 KB
 Viewed:  18064 Time(s)

right.jpg

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats, Greg. A lot of work but well worth the effort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
distolectric

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

man...looks like fun Very Happy
great work
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greg, it looks wonderful. i'm working mostly with the g2 these days, so most of my other gear isn't even setup.

the times i have tried to integrate everything as a "studio" (as it looks like your setup is), i find that as soon as i'm finished, i need something for a live performance, or some project where i need to remove it (and unwire, and eventually rewire). my nature is that i like to be able to do anything with anything, and this kind of tight integration seems never to work for me. i suppose a full patchbay (midi and audio) setup would help keep things flexible in the studio...i have tried this, but always end up needing to remove something (and once it starts following entropy into chaos, it seems it never goes back).

one specific problem that i'm curious about is that i have some gear with switching jacks on some inputs and outputs. these might disable an internal clock source (when a jack is plugged into a "clock in"), select between summing or not summing a stereo output (when jacks are plugged into both L and R outputs rather than just one...also with inputs on stereo units), etc. ideally i suppose, one plugs everything in, and reroutes the switches somewhere to the front so that you can manually choose what state the switch should be in. how do people deal with this issue?

deknow
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
the times i have tried to integrate everything as a "studio" (as it looks like your setup is), i find that as soon as i'm finished, i need something for a live performance, or some project where i need to remove it (and unwire, and eventually rewire). my nature is that i like to be able to do anything with anything, and this kind of tight integration seems never to work for me. i suppose a full patchbay (midi and audio) setup would help keep things flexible in the studio...i have tried this, but always end up needing to remove something (and once it starts following entropy into chaos, it seems it never goes back).
deknow

Yes, I know what you mean. Because of this, when I started performing, I constructed a performance rig that's completely independent of the studio. So I don't have to reconfigure things when I want to play out somewhere. The performance rig has a completely different philosophy, it's essentially pre-configured with a limited number of "setups" that can be quickly called up. In a live improv situation I think it's better to stick with a smaller number of (flexible) sounds that cover a variety of situations, so you can be familiar with them all and get to them quickly. In the studio I like to experiment a bit more and never know ahead of time what combination of sounds I will use.

Of course it costs alot more to have separate studio and performance setups. I probably wouldn't have done things this way if I had done the performance one first.
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:

one specific problem that i'm curious about is that i have some gear with switching jacks on some inputs and outputs. these might disable an internal clock source (when a jack is plugged into a "clock in"), select between summing or not summing a stereo output (when jacks are plugged into both L and R outputs rather than just one...also with inputs on stereo units), etc. ideally i suppose, one plugs everything in, and reroutes the switches somewhere to the front so that you can manually choose what state the switch should be in. how do people deal with this issue?
deknow

Everything runs through patch bays. Summing of L and R can be done in the mixer if needed. The only gear I have that occasionally uses a switching input is the Sherman Filterbank. The FM modulation source defaults to the audio input, but can be anything else that's plugged into the FM jack. Plugging something into the FM jack turns off the default audio input. So I just use a Y cable to send the audio input also to the FM input, routed through the patch bay. That maintains the default, while letting me patch another FM source in without going behind the rack to switch cables.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a similar setup, though I don't have any gear doubled up. So my studio becomes an extension of my portable rig. Same solution though, everything goes through patchbays. My biggest problem was with MIDI, so I hacked some MIDI cables in half, and added 1/4" TRS inserts to the 3 active wires, so MIDI could be patched as well. Now I have a single 8 channel snake that connects the two rigs together. Very quick to disconnect when needed.

My problem, for example, was the limited # (ie - 2) of MIDI I/O into my laptop (the studio has 8 MIDI I/O that I didn't want to carry with me). 1 set is dedicated to my G2, the other had to be shared between a sound module, effects unit, and foot controller. My compromise was to use an out to the sound module and effects for the portable rig, and the in for only the foot contoller. The outs from the effect/sound and in to the FCB1010 only connect in the studio. That way I can access each device with software editors while in the studio, but not be bogged down with a larger MIDI interface when portable. The studio adds other effects & sound sources as well, but they are on a seperate mixer that runs stereo into my portable rig/laptop for sampling & recording.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
so I hacked some MIDI cables in half, and added 1/4" TRS inserts to the 3 active wires, so MIDI could be patched as well.

And no MIDI bleeding through into your audio ? Amazing :-)

Veil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice...
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze » Miscellaneous Photo Gallery
Jump to: