electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
LFO crossmodulation and level inversion=DikMik (Fixed!)
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
greaseenvelope

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: LFO crossmodulation and level inversion=DikMik (Fixed!) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Figured out this strange way of hooking LFO's up to each other through various mixers and feeding their outputs back into each other's sync, restart, and pitch mod imputs. All kinds of FM like effects can be found by inverting various of the LFO's mixers outputs and finding different combinations of LFO out types and waveforms. Investigate the LFO menu (B1-3) to find a lot of different ways to change the way the LFO affect each other and the pitch of the OSCs.
I use Rob's ladder filter and tubescreamer "modules", which I love the sound of but now I need to learn how to make them (and blues hells BBD delay) responsive to control data from the LFOs. Is it as simple as putting a level modulator module in the chain?
Any advice or commentary appreciated.

LFOmachine.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  LFOmachine.pch2
 Filesize:  3.26 KB
 Downloaded:  1275 Time(s)

Last edited by greaseenvelope on Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wasn't 'DikMik' the EMS synthi operator from old spacerockers Hawkwind? Or have I just drunk too much coffee? Rolling Eyes Cool
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tom, that is quite true. We do have a thread here somewhere where I gave this type of patch that name. Well, it used to be a term for that kind of synthi style patches.. I simply brought it back to life.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyway, you were right.. so there is no need for getting off the coffee trip anytime soon.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Something seems to have gone wrong with the patch upload, it's displayed as having a zero bytes size and the G2 editor wont open it for me.
greaseenvelope

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the 1st time I've tried uploading a patch. Let me try to fix it.
EDIT: It's fixed! Sorry guys!!!

Last edited by greaseenvelope on Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Something seems to have gone wrong with the patch upload, it's displayed as having a zero bytes size and the G2 editor wont open it for me.

FYI, Safari won't download it either.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for fixing it.

Pretty weird patch :-)

You play it tweaking the knobs I assume ?

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

- what a shame- the patch is slightly too big for my computer power (dsp showing at 98%)
greaseenvelope

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I play it primarily with all 3 levels of the LFO control menu, turning on and off the level inverts on the LFO cross mixer gain controls while tweaking the modulation amounts and LFO rate. There are 8 different variations. Also try at various distortion stages (control next to filter cutoff).

Thanks for the feedback. Any advice about how to include the filter in this madness or streamline the design a little?

BTW: I bet you could make it a little cheaper by taking out an OSC or converting robs filter or distortion blocks to a cheaper one from the menu. The trick I'm trying to show off is mainly in the LFO cross mod mixers and the wacky way that they're routed.
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool patch, you can get some really great sounds out of it, thanks grease Cool

If you want to add the filter into the fray, just add the output of one of the SignalMixer's to the output of the cutoff constant module with a mixer and connect that to the 4 filter poles' control inputs the same way the cutoff constant module is connected already. No need to convert or adjust anything Smile
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice gritty noisebox!
Tweaking those parameters is lots of fun.
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I couldn't help myself... Hope you don't mind, I've added 2 AHD envelopes, lfo mod of the cutoff and a noise generator for added dirt Very Happy

lfomachine_afromod.pch2
 Description:
Greaseenvelope's lfo patch with added controls

Download
 Filename:  lfomachine_afromod.pch2
 Filesize:  4.02 KB
 Downloaded:  1336 Time(s)

greaseenvelope

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweet! Sounds awesome and you have done exactly what I wanted to do but did not yet have the programming mojo (only had G2x since mid-july). Now I'm going to have to reassign all the knob parameters to adopt the new features. This is why the G2 user community seriously rocks. Cool

BTW: History lesson people. Del Dettmar was the EMS AKS jockey in Hawkwind. DikMik's setup was always really simple: EMS audio generator, wah pedals, phasers, distortions, spring reverb, and echoplex. DikMik disappeared at some point during the most LSD soaked period of the bands history, and hasn't been heard from since as far as I know.

Last edited by greaseenvelope on Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i had fun with this -- great noisemachine!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

greaseenvelope wrote:
BTW: History lesson people. Del Dettmar was the EMS AKS jockey in Hawkwind. DikMik's setup was always really simple: EMS audio generator, wah pedals, phasers, distortions, spring reverb, and echoplex.

Oh pure joy- my perfect keyboard rig :D

would someone be so kind to send in an mp3 of this G2 patch? would make this aging 38 year old hippy very happy!!!!

ps- here's a nice take on the vcs3;

kb1.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  353.79 KB
 Viewed:  19222 Time(s)

kb1.gif

greaseenvelope

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is one sexy machine.
Also, I posted a clip of me improvising on this patch at the Harmony Central KSS Extreme Weirdness Project.
Go to http://www.keyssynthsandsamplers.com/weird
Mine is one of the last listed under the name "greaseenvelope"
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
Jump to: