electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
NM1 vs. G2 audio quality
Page 2 of 2 [43 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
General Elektrick

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also have the Modular and the G2.

For dirty Drum n Bass amen breaks I prefer the old Classic soundwise.

For spacy Noodles I prefer the G2 soundwise.

This year I decided that i need a real modular and after taking a look at

http://www.buchla.com/200e/index.html

and the pricing information there
I got myself a doepfer A 100 system. After the first 3 month i started to patch more and more on the G2 again. I am not so happy with the sound of the A100 and the Analog Solution Modules. They are pretty noizy compared to the clean sounds of the G2.

Well I will see if I am going to sell the A 100 Stuff or keep it as an addition.

"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: NM1 vs. G2 audio quality Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kmmcdonald wrote:
The bottom line is that I am weighing a choice between the G2X and a Studio Electronics Omega-8. Unfortunately, I am unable to audition the G2X in my area. So, my question is this:

How does the sound of the original NM and the G2X compare with each other? Is the G2X any smoother? Is the low end any more solid?

thanks

Why don't you try the G2 demo software. You should use a good soundcard, but I understand that you have a rather good one. For comparison, here is an 'analog' patch that can be used to compare the G2/G2X/G2E with any analog synth.

In my experience the G2 can stand up against any analog synth, except for analog hum, crackling pots and blown out analog components. Still, some heavy patching and sonic trickery is often needed to get the right sound. Like you need a big bottom? Why not add that sine osc set to one or two octaves below? Such a thingy is a jiffy on the G2. Not satisfied with the resonance of a filter? Why not add your own resonance feedback path to get just the right stuff, while using all that trickery or wizardry written about on e.g. those analog synth DIY lists? Or this forum. Wink

The G2 is much more flexible in adapting the sound of its modules than the classic NM. And face it, if on any fixed architecture synth you need just that extra third LFO for your sound (or five extra ones) you're in deep trouble...

If I were you I would at least bargain a discount on the Omega just to get e.g. an extra G2 Engine to be on the safe side of things. I think one should be able to talk 900 off from 4500.

G2DemoAnaSynth.pch2
 Description:
An 'analog synth' to run in e.g. the G2 demo software to compare it with any other 'analog synth', just to get the idea. But do use a good sound card.

Download
 Filename:  G2DemoAnaSynth.pch2
 Filesize:  4.19 KB
 Downloaded:  1460 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked Wow! That is a lot more than a little demo of the G2 doing an analog synth. That is a great patch. Naturally, since I have a G2X, I immediately cranked it up to 8 voice polyphony. Then got in and started adjusting things. Rob, you put good names on the controls so it makes one feel like they know what they are doing to adjust things. Very Happy

Woah... another gem. I could see playing this at a Philly spacemusic concert and bringing down the house. (Well, in space music that is a bit of an overstatement. Laughing )

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A great patch, Rob ... very oberheim-ish ... love the delay ....
/Dasz
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Superb patch, sounds fantastic. Thanks Rob!
G2DREAM

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice job Rob!You are the Ronaldinhio of the Modulars!
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: NM1 vs. G2 audio quality Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:

<snip>
In my experience the G2 can stand up against any analog synth, except for analog hum, crackling pots and blown out analog components.
<snip>

I cannot agree with this statement.

I've delved into many different approaches to replicate the musical qualities of analog circuitry on the G2. This has been a fun and highly instructive undertaking in itself. And although the results have indeed yielded considerable sonic improvements, there still remains a big difference between the G2 and analogue synths.

So my attitude is this: if you want analogue sound, get an analogue synth! The G2 is digital and will always sound digital. I'm not saying this to bash the G2. I own two G2Xs -I think this is ample proof of my opinion on this instrument. Who says digital is bad anyway? Sometimes digital is the only way to do things.

But if you want the analogue sound, I don't think there is a substitute and I don't think there can ever be. A discrete time domain machine can never replicate the behaviour of a continuous time domain machine -you will always hear a difference.

So I prefer to use the G2 for synthesis things that can only be successfully done in the digital domain.

For analogue: I'm lusting after those Cwejman synths... man, do they sound incredible! Well, I know, they're not Clavia and they're not red -but hey, at least they're swedish. Laughing
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: NM1 vs. G2 audio quality Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:
For analogue: I'm lusting after those Cwejman synths... man, do they sound incredible! Well, I know, they're not Clavia and they're not red -but hey, at least they're swedish. Laughing

Those are goovy synths. I suppose you have noticed that we've started a Cwejman user forum here on electro-music.com. If you get one, you won't have to go away for another community. Very Happy Which one are you lusting for, the S1 or S2? I haven't yet seen one in the flesh, but they look like dreamy boxes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They must be swedish, the knobs look like NM Classic and Lead1/2 knobs! Made in sweden definitely ...

/Dasz
G2DREAM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_artikel-184088.html?sn=1a4312e56f06ee913ac5c7ac50f67a14
Crying or Very sad
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G2DREAM wrote:
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_artikel-184088.html?sn=1a4312e56f06ee913ac5c7ac50f67a14
Crying or Very sad

What is the frown for, the price?

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G2DREAM wrote:
Crying or Very sad

You know.. the synth isn´t that small in real life. The picture is NOT 1:1

Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
G2DREAM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeap, the price...
But who needs it?
Back to my engine! Laughing
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G2DREAM wrote:
Yeap, the price...
But who needs it?
Back to my engine! Laughing

...and the aliasing narrow pulse oscillators.

*ducks*

Wink
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its a little cheaper than a Moog Voyager. No presets but that might be a good thing. Similar module compliment.

It reminds me (visually) of the old ETI synthesizer, with the layout of the oscillators.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
Its a little cheaper than a Moog Voyager. No presets but that might be a good thing. Similar module compliment.

It reminds me (visually) of the old ETI synthesizer, with the layout of the oscillators.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

That's the best pic I could find of the eti

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
what about this one? it was a click away from the previous one Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thumb up

Thanks... welcome

Page 2 of 2 [43 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: