electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Need Some Help w/ software reccomendations
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bando

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Need Some Help w/ software reccomendations Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been messing around in Fruity Loops Pro for a few years, and i am really used that step style sequencing. Anyways i recently stepped up to a mac powerbook and was looking at new workstations. Does anyone know which would be best for an intermediatte semi-serious user? I was looking at Reason, Logic, Protools LE, and Live 5, so which of these is semi-similar to the fruity loops enviroment? i know these are nothing like that, but i have been trying the demos of Reason, Logic, and Live and unfortantely can not get a good enough idea of whether i will love the programs or hate them once i start digging into them. Also i don't know if this helps, but I am producing a wide variety of music, from electronic to film scores, and i hope to integrate a "mini" studio into the whole scheme of things in the near future. Any advice would be appreciated, the local Sam Ash rep was saying to avoid logic unless ive used logic before, and kept trying to sell Reason, even though i don't know if it does what i need it to do. If anyone could give the pros and cons of each program and how is the intsruments are, like drum machine etc...
thanks and sorry for writing a book when i could have just asked one question...

Also, anyone know if the Alesis Photon X25 is anygood?? I am looking for a new portable midi controller
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Bando to electro-music.com

The three programs you are considering are each quite different. I don't use any of them, so I better not make any recommendations. Still, I think Live would be the most similar to FL. It is a very interesting program.

I hope Seraph answers your post because he uses OSX and runs all three of these. Very Happy

If anyone can help you, it would be Seraph...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bando

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks again
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use Fruity Loops (still kickin' it with v3.5), so I will switch over to Cubase from time to time, especially if I am recording live sound. Cubase is capable of step style sequencing, but I'm not sure if you've ever tried Cubase. Some people don't like it. According to the latest release on the Steinberg website:

Recommended Notebook System:
PowerBook/iBook G4 1.42 GHz or faster
512 MB RAM
Display Resolution 1024 x 768 pixels

I know how you feel about possibly moving away from step sequencing. It's very addictive.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know what you mean by step sequencing. Do you mean creating MIDI notes in piano roll notation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For a step sequencer I would recommend Reason. For just step sequencers, Reaktor has many different types. But I would not say it is anything like FL.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
bando

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not necessarily in just the piano roll, i liked the piano roll feature, but i mainly used the sequencer that is the main screen, and i used my midi controller to coordinate the notes i wanted on that screen, it might have automatically gone to the piano roll, but i never really went to that screen often, so i am not 100% sure. also thanks everyone for your help so far in this issue
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 31
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
If anyone can help you, it would be Seraph...

gee...I'll do my best Very Happy it depends on how you work. if you are into loops and pattern-based kind of composing I would go for Live and Reason. if your approach is more traditional (linear) and you read music, I would prefer Logic and Reason. All of them support Rewire, a very powerful and reliable technology. Am I making myself clear Question

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: