electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Power Book G4 Software Opinion
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Rev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Power Book G4 Software Opinion Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love and Respect

Hello all, just got a G4, having a hard time deciding between ableton, protools, and reason for software. I come from a more traditional hardware musical background (real instruments) and am looking to fuse acoustic guitar with down tempo breaks/hip hop beats. But I dont want them to sound cheap.

Contemplating buying Roland V drums, and a keyboard. But coming in ground level. I would rather master one thing at a time and not have to buy TONs of gear.

any suggestions for the beginner would be helpful.

keep it light,

-Rev
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi...moving this topic to a more appropriate forum
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a nice entrance, hugs to you.

Protools, Live and Reason are very different things, I suppose the end results could be similar but the way of working is quite different. This is good as it'll make your question easier to answer.

Phrased this way all the Protools people will say "protools" and all the Live people will go "Live", that's of little use. Let's look at what *you* wnat to do and how you'd like to do it.

Rev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right on brother,

You speak true, all the people of all the different software schools are all going to say they like whatever software they are using.

To answer your question, What I like to do most is make beats. How I do it is mostly harware based at present. All of my work revolves around the drums. The guitar is usually just a funky loop that plays into the beat. My voice is another drum with different accents on different syllables.

The main problem I am running into is playing the drum beats I am used to playing on the set on a computer. How to get out a beat I have in my head, that I am used to playing with four appendages on a set, only using the keyboard of a computer.

I guess the software would first and foremost have to be beat friendly...dig? Second, have the ability to plug in and sychronize other software.

If all three do that, maybe I should just pick one and go with it.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Logic and ProTools are DAWs. Reason is an instrument stack with sequencing and some DAW features. Ableton Live is Ableton Live.

If you want to buil a full virtual studio then I guess a full featured DAW is your best way to start out. Logic might be the best choice. The full version comes with a shitloads of plugins and instruments and is as such a far more cost effective bundle than ProTools. The full unrestricted ProTools suite really shines, but this will be very costly. Frankly I don´t see much point in the low end version of PT. It isn´t bad though, but Logic is more complete for the money. At the moment PT LE only works with Digidesign or M-Audio hardware.

Ableton Live is something else. This is a great application, but at the moment it doesn´t make much sense to invest in it if you are going to install it on a G4 class mac. Ableton has not written the code in order to make use of the Altivec processor. This means it doesn´t perform well on a mac. Live is however pretty stable on a mac.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rev wrote:
The main problem I am running into is playing the drum beats I am used to playing on the set on a computer. How to get out a beat I have in my head, that I am used to playing with four appendages on a set, only using the keyboard of a computer.

This is easy. Get something like the dirt cheap ION kit and use it as a midi input device.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rev wrote:
.. all the people of all the different software schools are all going to say they like whatever software they are using.

I am actually mainly using Steinberg Cubase 5.2 VST 32 on my G4 dual 1.2 ghz powermac. I recently aquired a G5. I am running Cubase SE and Logic Express on that one. It is very likely that I will go for Digital Performer or Logic Pro. I am not exactly pleased with CSX.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="elektro80"]
Rev wrote:
.. It is very likely that I will go for Digital Performer or Logic Pro. I am not exactly pleased with CSX.

interesting..i also am sticking with cubase 5.1 for now ...and am also not a fan of SX..it seems to suck a bit...

and sadly, pro tools 7 still has the ridiculous 32 track limit, or it might look promising

so, Logic seems the, ahem, logical choice for OS X

Rev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you all for the advice, Sounds like the best bet for me is to get the ion Kit, and Logic. Any ideas for where to look for best prices? And one other thing, just to dispel my ignorance...What exactly does DAW stand for?

You guys rock

-Rev
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Digital Audio Workstation.

It gets used for both the computer itself, implying it's a especially powerfull computer that gets used only or mainly for working with audio and for sequencers that also host effects and so on.

Example usage; "Don't install ICQ on the DAW, it's in quarantine" or "since version 4 Live is becoming more and more DAW-like"

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: