electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music
Are GENDER Electro?
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jayblaq

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Are GENDER Electro? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello we at Fiberlineaudio have just signed a very kewl and unique band from Sweden with a very electro 80s sound... but my big question is would you call them ELECTRO?

Let me know as I am finding it real hard to classify their sound:

Gender - The Power (Single)
http://www.fiberlineaudio.com/label/modules.php?name=catalog&file=product_info&products_id=380

Gender - The Power (Live Video)
http://www.fiberlineaudio.com/label/modules.php?name=videos

Hope you enjoy Gender as much as we do!
Jay Blaq

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome

I am checking out the video now.
Electro? Dunno. These days it might be. This live video is reminding me of old pre-Ure Ultravox with a sprinkling of elements of other signed or unsigned late 70s acts. Maybe even a bit of TH is in here. At the time this would be nothing but arty rock.

Defining genres has a lot to do with ( missing? ) documentation of what old acts really were doing. It must be noted that what ended up on vinyl really never did capture the essence of what was going on.

Gender isn´t bad at all. Electro? Nah. But is it very disappointing if it is white arty rock? This can turn into a pretty hot band. Perhaps they should hire someone for looking into those lyrics though.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Early 80s sound? Nah, rather late 70s. This isn´t bad at all though.
Anyways, congrats with signing these guys. The playing is absolutely decent. I am interested in hearing more.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm with mr. 80 but I also think you could conceivably make a case for it being new wave. I think it lacks any of the typical electro features in the drums.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

True. No electro patterns there.

But gender has potential. They should not have to conform. Let them figure out what they want to do on their own.

But then again, Kassen and me, we are both europeans. It is very obvious that electro means something completely different over here.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jayblaq

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah thanks Guys. They are trying to be artistics. You'll probably love the upcoming songs we have they are all very raw and sparse in sound and new wave sounding like Depeche Mode pre 1986 on one and old new wave God Peter Murphy on the other.

Thanks for taking the time to check them out and get back to me. It helps to have people listen and give their thoughts.

Jay

jayblaq

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
But then again, Kassen and me, we are both europeans. It is very obvious that electro means something completely different over here.

Yeah well true electro to me is old kraftwerk on up to detroit electro and even the miami bass stuff like Hashim and the old school electro breaks.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, indeed, there's potential there. For my own tastes it's a bit too polite but those aren't a good indication for potential success.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Yes, indeed, there's potential there. For my own tastes it's a bit too polite but those aren't a good indication for potential success.

Yeah, a bit polite. I would like them to go loud and proud. What if these guys recorded some covers? Something like Peter Hammill´s Sitting Targets would be perfect for these guys. The way I hear how the guys play, this song could take them places and even fix some of the lyrics issues. if they want that late 70s/early 80s "synths with a band sound", then there is a goldmine out there of unknown material.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, like our board members "cultural amnesia", I like them, those guys play some rough stuff but it's still personal and sensitive, in a weird way. While on the "early 80's synths with a band sound" topic; I think Rod Vey is woefully under-apreceated, that might be a good target for a cover if you want to do one.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
I think Rod Vey is woefully under-apreceated, that might be a good target for a cover if you want to do one.

agreed

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: