electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Theremin
Singapore's only diva of the theremin
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
hypnotique

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Singapore's only diva of the theremin Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thought you may like to meet 'Singapore's only diva of the theremin' (a strange acclaim?), Shueh-li:
http://xenovibes.com

On the whole, it's quite new age music with an Asian twist.

I was very flattered both her and myself were included in Peter Kirn's article on 'Theremin Divas'.
http://www.createdigitalmusic.com/forums.html?option=com_content&task=view&id=627&Itemid=44

The world is a strange place!!

Susi

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool, and thanks for posting this link.

Don't forget Juli...

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

This was her first public performance on Theremin. http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-8011.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
K

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

does every theremin player qualify as diva or there are also mere mortals playing it Question
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To me, Juli will always be a diva.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
K

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
To me, Juli will always be a diva.

no doubts about it Very Happy
gsga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Singapore's only diva of the theremin Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hypnotique wrote:

Hey there. You had asked on another thread if there are any interesting US bands/artists using theremin? Check this out, if you're not familiar already...

http://www.iquiqu.com/sunq/index.html

Saw them in Philly last year. They're a melodic lounge/ambient duo from Olympia, WA (by way of Japan).

K.O. won the thereminworld.com's tribute to Bob Moog contest.

Simply Shueh-li

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Singapore's only diva of the theremin Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Hypnotique, Susi, and gang,

I am also honoured to meet all of you online

Firstly I agree that descriptions or tags are simply that and nothing more Hypnotique, yet we all have to deal with it on a daily basis. Some of us buy in to phrases coined by clever marketing dudes others choose to go the opposite way.

The 'strange acclaim' was thanks to the national newspapers in Singapore who decided after many years of hard work to bestow upon me : - ) I am really a show producer rather than a theremin expert like the rest of you.
I hope to learn more from everyone in my short stay in the US before I leave. Perhaps we could meet in person one of these days y'all!

Cheers to the real theremin divas and divos (if there is such a thing!)
Simply Shueh-li
www.xenovibes.com

hypnotique wrote:
Thought you may like to meet 'Singapore's only diva of the theremin' (a strange acclaim?), Shueh-li:
http://xenovibes.com

I was very flattered both her and myself were included in Peter Kirn's article on 'Theremin Divas'.
http://www.createdigitalmusic.com/forums.html?option=com_content&task=view&id=627&Itemid=44

The world is a strange place!!

Susi
Wink Wink
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Shueh-li, great to have you here.

Hope you are enjoying your stay in the US.

Simply Shueh-li

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
welcome Shueh-li, great to have you here.

Hope you are enjoying your stay in the US.

Thank you Mosc for your welcome. I have enjoyed listening to your Concerto For Alto Flute and Electronics!
I hope to learn more from everyone on electro-music.com.
And yes, the people in Dallas have been wonderful to me.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Simply Shueh-li wrote:
I have enjoyed listening to your Concerto For Alto Flute and Electronics!

Thanks very much. Maybe I'll do a concerto for Theremin and Electronics. All of a sudden, I know a lot of Theremin players.

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome, Shueh-Li! I enjoyed visiting your "Fine" city last February.

As far as US artists, I just saw Barbez, with Pamelia Kurstin on Theremin, bass, and vocals, play a show. Very good band.

We have several Theremin players here in the DC area. My Thereminist friend and sometimes bandmate plays with Alzo Boszormenyi
and the Acid Achievers.
gsga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah, I forgot about Barbez. They are weird x10! But very entertaining! I don't have many WTF moments at shows anymore, but seing them was def one of them!
Simply Shueh-li

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gsga wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot about Barbez. They are weird x10! But very entertaining! I don't have many WTF moments at shows anymore, but seing them was def one of them!

Hello MusicalGirevik,

I had a listen to Barbez and also Alzo Boszormenyi and the Acid Achievers who remind me of a band in Australia I once enjoyed known as TISM or This is Serious Mum : - )
Were you in Singapore for work or leisure?

Whereabouts are you based MusicalGirevik and gsga?

I look forward to learning more from all of you!
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Shueh-li,

Alzo Boszormenyi and the Acid Achievers is a punk/cabaret band with costumes and theatrics. The night I saw them play, they were actually the 2nd least risque act that night... Those of you who have heard of Lisa Suckdog know what I mean...

I was in Singapore on leisure with my parents, following the European way of planning for a multiple-day stop in Singapore as part of any Asian vacation, because it's a great place for recovering from jet lag. The city is clean, beautiful, has great food... B) Unfortunately, we arrived there during Chinese New Year, so lots of places were closed.

I'm based in Washington DC, USA.
gsga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shueh-li: Hey there. I'm based in Lehigh Valley, PA/USA midway btw Philly and NYC. Small town with quite a few people into electro/experimental music, oddly enough. Very Happy

MG: Hey, Carver is great! Def out there. I think I missed her when she came through Philly recently. Sad
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Theremin
Jump to: