electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Numerology 1.1
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Numerology 1.1 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A snip from the Numerology 1.1 product blurb:

Quote:
" includes fifteen major new features and several smaller enhancements and fixes. Prominent among the new features are Gate Division for sequencing complex rhythm patterns, a MIDI Learn mode for remote control via MIDI CC, and new modules for processing control signals.

Numerology is a modular MIDI sequencer for Mac OS X that is oriented for live performance and experimentation. It uses sequencing techniques first established by analog sequencers in the 1970's, implemented within a virtual studio environment built from the ground up for improvisation and experimentation. Whether you are a new to music making or an experienced performer, Numerology offers a unique and powerful environment for extending your compositional boundaries.

To hear evidence of this, visit http://www.five12.com to hear a demo sequence made using gate division, pitch slew and MIDI remote control. This live, improvised track is an example of how Numerology's features can be combined to create a powerful compositional instruments. There are also demo tracks showing Numerology's capabilities with traditional electronic music, as well as something completely unexpected from a MIDI sequencer, a granular textures demo.

Numerology Level 1 is written for Mac OS X, version 10.2. A free demo is available for download. The full version can be purchased online for $50."

The demo is interesting. Personally I find that this product makes a whole lot of sense. This a pretty creative little application.

Smile
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, this is software sequencing done right! The demos are very good, indeed. Too bad this won't run on a PC.

I've been looking for a software seq for a long time. Almost worth buying a Mac laptop just to run this program to trigger my Nord Modular. Why don't you get it and write a review here on the forum. Maybe they will give you a copy in exchange. Maybe they'll buy me a Mac if I do the review. probably not Sad .

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good idea.

The demo has some restrictions so I guess I must get the licensed version for a review.

It combines some of the features of .. well.. the lot of old vintage CV/Gate sequencers and those custom clock/gate modules with a sensible software GUI.

BTW: This demo runs just fine on a G3 Powerbook and iBook ( 300mhz to 500 mhz models). An inexpensive secondhand laptop Mac with these specs and OS X will do just fine. Which should mean that a portable mac including Numerology license should cost less than many of those secondhand Roland digital cv/gate sequencers from the early 80s. A midi interface and an a midi to CV/GATE interface is neccesary too of course.

Numerology seems to be one of the most interesting products around at the moment for travellers into the wonderful world of sequencer madness. I hope the Numerology license comes with a pocketprotector.

Last edited by elektro80 on Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Numerology is still around. Jim has added a host of new features since June, 2003. Wink More notable ones include AU hosting, groove clock with swing and other goodies, MIDI input module, etc.
ocp

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 1.4.2b3 version is a bit buggy but I'm lovin' it just the same!
Audio Input added btw Wink

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Are old powerbooks the neo-punk instrument? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
This demo runs just fine on a G3 Powerbook and iBook ( 300mhz to 500 mhz models). An inexpensive secondhand laptop Mac with these specs and OS X will do just fine.

Stein is absolutely right. (and I keep harping on about this! Wink ). Less than a year ago I sold my older Lombard laptop for 50 ukp. Whoever got it snapped up a bargain too. Numerology ran great on it, and was sending signals left right and centre through my Emagic mt-4- in time too I may add Smile

I should also mention here that SuperCollider worked fantastically on the G3 as well.

If you fancy getting an older powerbook, consider getting this freeware haxie too;

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shadowkiller

As it really speeds up OSX on older machines, by removing the shadow created by Quartz in OSX

£50 for a highly flexible modular sequencer? What is there to loose??

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: