electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
My favorite module, the Control sequencer
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: My favorite module, the Control sequencer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Folks,

Oh what a happy day. I am no longer opressed.

In my haste, I made a mistake and now none of my NW05 patches will open in the editor -- it's annoying going back and forth. Time will of course fix this problem, or Grimley (if you have a minute, contact me).

Sorry for the delay on pics and patches from NW05 Vancouver, I hope to post more soon! It's not in my hands tho. That's funny, actually.

This one goes out to all of you, a great starting point for ideas. My favorite module, the control seq. Now if it and the others only had patterns ... sigh ... Sad

This patch is unfinished, but I'll let you finish it. Post your results of mods and tweaking and your variations here, for once, please!
/Dasz

NW05_JumpSeq_DZ.pch2.jpg
 Description:
Taken during patch construction.
 Filesize:  52.63 KB
 Viewed:  12114 Time(s)

NW05_JumpSeq_DZ.pch2.jpg

NW05_JumpSeq_DZ.pch2
 Description:
A patch fresh of the grill. This one is a contol sequencer which uses 2 sequencer to select the step (2 LFO's also exist, but I have not refined them, they are not yet ready). The 1st seq is the overall position source, the 2nd one is the quick pattern.

Download
 Filename:  NW05_JumpSeq_DZ.pch2
 Filesize:  3.93 KB
 Downloaded:  1731 Time(s)

rhombus

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy crap I'll have to wrap my brain around this sequencer algorithm first.

1) I get the whole LFO controlled back and forth deal, although I don't fully understand how the sine wave causes the sequencer to go full on. I guess I don't really know what range of values LFOs put out in terms of raw integers.

2) Could you explain how mixing two sequenced control signals works? I'm referring to the work Mix2-1B1 is doing in the FX area. Is it just simple addition where the values of Offset and Path are added together to control JumpSeq? Then when the Ctr value gets above 64, it automatically goes into Park?

3) I guess I need to understand the Key Quantizer more as well. I'll study the manual some more, but I take it that a control signal fed into a key quantizer snaps that value to the nearest key, but then feeding it into a NoteSend? Does that control the root note so then the Key Quantizer acts more in terms of number of half tones away?

I was pretty amazed by this at the meet, I'm glad I finally have the time and sobriety to examine this in detail.
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, this sequencer is great, thanks Dasz. Really nice controls for slightly modifying or drastically changing the sequence without getting right in and editing single notes. Nice filter setup too! Cheers Very Happy
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hope you don't mind, I got a little bored this afternoon and made some variations, added a chorus section and did my own implementation of the LFO...

nw05_jumpseq_dz_afromod.pch2
 Description:
My variations of Dasz's patch with some modifications

Download
 Filename:  nw05_jumpseq_dz_afromod.pch2
 Filesize:  5.17 KB
 Downloaded:  1396 Time(s)

dasz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Hope you don't mind,

No need to say that, cuz this is what I'm talking about, posting what you do with the patches ...

nice mod Afro88 ... I like the s/h on the lfo ... now imagine mixing the lfo and the 2 seqeuncers to control the single control sequencer .. the big thing is not going outside the control range (like -ve values)

or imagine adding more things in series, but routing the output of each stage through some processing and into different control seqeuncer setups ...

We're having fun!
/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey rhombus,

Quote:
I was pretty amazed by this at the meet, I'm glad I finally have the time and sobriety to examine this in detail.

Yeah, that one was a lot of fun ... thanks for the kind words....

Quote:
1) I get the whole LFO controlled back and forth deal, although I don't fully understand how the sine wave causes the sequencer to go full on. I guess I don't really know what range of values LFOs put out in terms of raw integers.

The lfos need to send positive only signal. I use the divide (x0.50) to ensure the signal won't go over if I mix 2 lfos ...to select the step

= (desired step number-1) * 4

Quote:
2) Could you explain how mixing two sequenced control signals works? I'm referring to the work Mix2-1B1 is doing in the FX area. Is it just simple addition where the values of Offset and Path are added together to control JumpSeq? Then when the Ctr value gets above 64, it automatically goes into Park?

Just addition. the trick isthe different speeds of the sources being mixed.

Quote:
3) I guess I need to understand the Key Quantizer more as well. I'll study the manual some more, but I take it that a control signal fed into a key quantizer snaps that value to the nearest key, but then feeding it into a NoteSend? Does that control the root note so then the Key Quantizer acts more in terms of number of half tones away?

I use this one a lot if I don't feel like entering notes one at a time. I hit randomize on the seq and feed that into the quantizer.

Hope this helps, I hope you will post a patch with your own changes to it too Wink

/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and I hope you will post a jpg of you tweaking this patch Wink

/Dasz
Axiom

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to tank you, Dasz, for your works that are continous inspiration to me in learning Seq uses on G2.

Thumbs up.

Luca

dasz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks luca, I appreciate that ...
/Dasz
Axiom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is my first sequenced patch. I've recorded an improvisation using four patches together. Here is the result... since is the first take it contains awful mistakes Razz

Listen Now!!!

Enjoy Smile
Luca

Loop0rz_AX.pch2
 Description:
My first two variation sequenced patch.

Download
 Filename:  Loop0rz_AX.pch2
 Filesize:  2.89 KB
 Downloaded:  1340 Time(s)

dasz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice patch Luca, nice guitar work too ... you may want to consider using more variations ...

I started messing with it and once again made the same mistake as yesterday. Now my tweaked patch won't work in the editor. Embarassed

Again time will solve this problem. I am really sorry, I just don't think about these things when tweaking and I should.

Luca, can I use this tweaked patch in my music?
/Dasz
Axiom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course, dude Smile

Luca

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: