electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Emulating Waldorf Pulse Oscillators
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
monobass

G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Emulating Waldorf Pulse Oscillators Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The patch attached is an emulation of a Waldorf Pulse patch I use in one of my tracks which I want to perform live using only the G2. I was very pleased with how similar it actually sounds in comparison.. but I'd like to go further and do a complete Pulse emulation (the patch attached has many Pulse features missing).

After looking at the raw Waldorf Oscs with a software oscilloscope I did a little shaping of the G2 Oscillators to look/sound more like the Waldorf... but i've never tried this sort of waveshaping before.. so if anyone has any good tips on how to achieve waveshapes similar to these on the G2 like those pictured below then give me a shout!

I was very surpirsed how similar the Pulse and Saw actually look compared to the G2's more 'perfect' waveforms... It's all in that gradient.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

(The Triangle wave is actually just the sawtooth with some lo-pass applied, it was simple to tweak the filter on the Saw on the Waldorf to achieve the identical waveshape.)

Pulse test.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Pulse test.pch2
 Filesize:  3.44 KB
 Downloaded:  1653 Time(s)

davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know if i can tell you anything that will get these specific shapes, but I have some general guidelines.

You can do a lot of subtle shaping tricks with just a shaper and crossfader. For example:

Say you want to flatten or round off the top of a saw wave but not the bottom (lots of analog synths have a saw wave with this kind of asymetrical shape). Connect the saw to one input of a crossfader. Also connect it to a shaper module set to INVx3 and connect the shaper output to the second crossfader input. Now here's the trick - also connect the saw to the CONTROL input of the crossfader and set both crossfader controls to 12 o'clock. Now, when the saw goes positive, the crossfader output passes the shaped saw, and when the wave goes negative, it passes the unprocessed saw. So the final wave is only 'shaped' on the top half.

You can use this idea for lots of variations to make waveforms that are shaped differently on the top & bottom. Try using two different shapers on the two inputs. Try overdrive modules or wavewrappers. Try a triangle wave instead of a saw. Try using a saw wave on one input and a sync'd pulse wave on the second input. Etc.

Another way to get asymetrical shaping is to pass the wave through a level shifter to make it positive only, then through a shaper, and then another level shifter to make it bipolar again.

Another way to shape raw waveforms is by using a filter that tracks the waveform frequency. Try using a highpass filter set to a relatively low fc with a good bit of resonance. Normally, we think of HPFs as something you use to make a signal sound thin, but when you set it to a low fc and crank the resonance, it will emphasize the fundamental or one of the low harmonics, which can make the waveform sound more big & bassy.

Enjoy!

monobass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great stuff thanks Dave Smile

Plenty for me to be trying out there, that HP trick is very nice.

(I've attached my patch trying these techniques out if anyone wants a look)

davep_wave_examples.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  davep_wave_examples.pch2
 Filesize:  1.92 KB
 Downloaded:  1562 Time(s)

monobass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok here's my first attempt at the Pulse wave...

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Not bad although as shown in the circled area i'm getting some funny resonance type things in the middle of the 'down slope'. think it might be to do with the way i'm using a squarewave to sync... not sure.

pulse_wave_01.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  pulse_wave_01.pch2
 Filesize:  1.3 KB
 Downloaded:  1497 Time(s)

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That’s looking good, the funny spike I think is a Sinc pulse and is part of Clavia’s anti-aliasing, they pop up sometimes when doing wave shaping.

I had a think about this question while waiting in the supermarket car park. Here is the result. Using a compare to get a rectangle from the sawtooth and then using the sawtooth to AM the square or a saturated sawtooth.

What soft scope are you using BTW?

wave.GIF
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.63 KB
 Viewed:  35930 Time(s)

wave.GIF

WaldPulse.pch2
 Description:
wave shaping

Download
 Filename:  WaldPulse.pch2
 Filesize:  1.4 KB
 Downloaded:  1990 Time(s)

monobass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey G2Ian,

Ah nice technique... and I'm stunned as to how close the pulse wave sounds to the real thing in a side by side comparison!.. and the saw will only take a little tweaking to get it spot on I think.

Great stuff (hope you didn't forget any shopping due to contemplating this Wink )

I'm using a softscope in OSX called Wavewindow
http://www.macmusic.org/softs/view.php/lang/EN/id/3262/
ian-s

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

monobass wrote:
(hope you didn't forget any shopping due to contemplating this)

Elise (3) fell asleep on the way so I got to sit in the car with her while her mum and three brothers did the shopping Very Happy

monobass wrote:
I'm using a softscope in OSX called Wavewindow

Mac, pitty, it looks very nice.
davep

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I put a patch here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-57677.html#57677

...that uses some of the ideas I described. More explanation in that post. Smile

dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Dave,

Your discussion of Shaping tricks made me try out something in a patch which I was going to post (a digiridoo-ish thing), but I have once again screwed up and you can't open it in the editor Embarassed ...

But time will heal this I hope ... unless the file format changes again ...

/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Folks,

And so I have created another patch (no-where as good as the one that won't open in the editor).

A hard patch to read. But the idea is I change the DC offset (which splits the osc into negative and positive only waveforms with different shaping applied to each. Then we mix the signals through a LP/HP/BP ... after wich shaping is once again appied to each band (LP/HP & BP separately)... finally a saw osc is added to give this patch some basis in pitch ...

A very dark and evolving patch, not my best ...
/Dasz

DaveP2_DZ.pch2
 Description:
Strange dark evolving shaper-ed patch inspired by Dave P's article and cambodia visit ...

Download
 Filename:  DaveP2_DZ.pch2
 Filesize:  4.58 KB
 Downloaded:  1864 Time(s)

davep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dasz,

Nice, I like it!

I was playing around with it & ended up with a slight mod, mostly just slowing things down (Variation 2). I like the slowly shifting harmonic content a lot. Sounds a bit like a large table saw in a cave.

BTW, how can you screw up a patch so that it won't open in the Editor?? That sounds really annoying and I'd like to know how to avoid that.

davep2_dz_820mod.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  davep2_dz_820mod.pch2
 Filesize:  4.59 KB
 Downloaded:  1476 Time(s)

dasz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave,

Thanks for the kind words ...

Quote:
BTW, how can you screw up a patch so that it won't open in the Editor?? That sounds really annoying and I'd like to know how to avoid that.

Uhm, the patches do not open in v1.32 Wink ... but they do open on one of my G2's Wink ...

I like the modded patch ... I should do more variations ...

/Dasz

Last edited by dasz on Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

davep wrote:
That sounds really annoying and I'd like to know how to avoid that.

Avoid beta testing then :-)

and70it

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: wave window Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can wave window work in OS X 10.3 as standalone?
monobass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: wave window Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and70it wrote:
can wave window work in OS X 10.3 as standalone?

Yep, that's how I use it. It might be too simple for some peoples tastes, but great for just scoping waves, check out the demo.
G2DREAM

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there any so simple and good looking software for windows?

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G2DREAM wrote:
Is there any so simple and good looking software for windows?

Maybe http://www.sonicspot.com/wavetools/wavetools.html ?

It says it needs windows 3.1, but once I had it running under XP, although that was before installing SP2 I think.

G2DREAM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, doesn't work on me but thanks anyway for the info man!
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, there're always these:

Visual Analyser

http://digilander.libero.it/hsoft/

OscilloMeter

http://shmelyoff.nm.ru/

i wouldn't call them pretty or simple, though.
ian-s

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use the first one (VA.EXE) but not the latest version which looks better but mysteriously won't run on my XP machine.
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, VA's latest version gives me all kinds of trouble, lately... maybe due to XP updates? i'm not sure... it worked fine once upon a time...
Question
G2DREAM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok guys i will chek them out,thank you!
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone know of one that uses ASIO?

Cheers

Andy
foxystoat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Does anyone know of one that uses ASIO?

Cheers

Andy

This one isn't stand-alone, but it will run in ASIO if your host is set up for it:

s(M)exoscope

Regards,
Benjamin W.
monobass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Work In Progress Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is as far as I got with the Pulse patch, still plenty to do and by no means is this patch as efficient as it could be. It could be two more weeks before I have time to finish it though.

I'm going to do a one slot version without the 4 part modulation matrix.. and then a two slot patch with a full emulation (apart from the arpeg).

I've also almost finished a complete midi remote control patch for the real Pulse.. although unfortunately due to the mysterious 60 module CtrlSend limit this will be a two slotter as well.

Big thanks due to Davep and G2Ian for their help to date! (and Robs ubiquitous spectrum tilter).

Cheers

Waldorf_pulse_302.pch2
 Description:
Waldorf Pulse emulation. Work in progress.

Download
 Filename:  Waldorf_pulse_302.pch2
 Filesize:  7.2 KB
 Downloaded:  1690 Time(s)

Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: