electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
21 hertz | Ocean of time
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
philodox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: 21 hertz | Ocean of time Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

21 hertz | Ocean of time
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Life is full of surprises and sometimes they come from where you least expect it. A few months ago I received an email asking that I review an album based on the write-up I did for Microbunny last year. I agreed but, being busy with moving into my new condo, I didn’t get a chance to look at the artist’s website or listen to any of their music. Then Ocean of time arrived and, while I have still been busy, it seems to be what I reach for when I want to lay back and relax. The band, 21 hertz, consists of Karin Steneby ¹ on vocals, Christian Hörkkö on guitar and keyboards, Christian Ricci ² on bass and pads, and Sylvain Brochard on turntables.

Outside starts things off like many Trip Hop albums with a dirty beat overlaid with scratches. It takes a while to get used to what turns out to be, in the end, a very expressive voice with an impressive range. The bass is quite fluid while still having good definition and their integration of live instruments and synthetic sounds is striking. Karin’s voice has very some interesting qualities and is almost holographic at times. I wonder if they are using some creative studio enhancements here.

The first thing that comes to mind when hearing Sparrow is “Now, this is more like it!” I’m not implying that the first track is in any way lacking, but this is when I really start smiling. Again the quality of the recording strikes me. The placement of the instruments or imaging is really quite good. This is definitely not what you’d expect from such places as “Christian’s closet” or “Sylvain’s rat hole” [where the recordings were made]. I think they are being just a little modest.

The vocals cut through the smooth deep bass like a knife in Wave of time, seeming to sculpt the music with their cadence. There is something quite attractive about Karin’s accent when singing “I just want to stay, here with you…” The laidback and sometimes lazy-sounding voice carries with it a marvelous emotional range. There are some nice jazzy beats near the end that neatly finish things off.

The song Ever is very familiar. In fact, I checked the CD to make sure that it’s not a cover song, but as far as I can tell, all of their material is 100% original. The tone of the album changes significantly here and this track would not be out of place on an alternative rock station. That said, it is one of my favorites on the album. The epic quality that her voice and the accompanying music take on is just the kind of thing that I like. Whoever said that Trip Hop has to be boring?

A slower pace is set with some very pleasing guitar work in My time. Karin’s voice is melancholic but retains its purity of sound. The rolling bass fleshes out the mood nicely. All in all, it is a simple song that comes together in such a way that it is very unique.

Silence is a darker song and the tempo is once again quite fitting for the mood. Her voice is overlaid multiple times to create a chilling effect. You almost expect this song to erupt at times, but they keep pulling you back to the creeping beat and forcing you to give yourself over to it.

The rhythm in Still I do is rather catchy and I’ve caught myself humming it many times. There is perhaps too much scratching for my taste, but it does not impede the song in any way. Although it doesn’t necessarily sound like Jazz, it seems to evoke the same response in me and I find myself snapping my fingers and looking for a Cuban cigar.

Tired is another example of how well they have integrated her voice into their music. As with any great group it is just another instrument in the composition. The pace and buildup in this track is spot on - nice and slow with an occasional explosive burst of energy that carries you away.

The album ends with a dark song that is brightened by Karin Steneby’s sweet voice. Ocean ends up getting fairly abstract near the end, but that is the best way to close off a Trip Hop album. Unless it’s with “hookers and gin” ³ that is…

This album has really impressed me. As I wrote this I listened to it again and I think the hardest thing for me to decide was which track I liked most. The music is incredibly varied while still fitting within a common mold and not loosing you with sharp turns. I would have a hard time guessing how many times I listened to Ocean of time before finally sitting down and writing, but it was no small number. I can only think of a few albums in my collection that I would not grow tired of after this much exposure. I can’t wait to see where this group goes in the future. Wherever it is, I will be there waiting for their next release.

Review written while listening on an Eastsound CD-E5 CD player, DiMarzio M-Path interconnects, a Veda Audio Dynahi headphone amplifier, and a pair of AKG K340 Electrostat-Dynamic Headphones modified by Headphile and re-cabled in BlackSilver.

album: Ocean of time
artist: 21 hertz
year: 2005
label: Independent

review by philodox
august 2005
    1. Karin Steneby is also an impressive painter/sculptor and her work can be viewed on their website.
    2. The photography and music of Christian Ricci can also be found on the site and is worth checking out.
    3. If you are not getting this Portishead reference, you need to listen to their self-titled album again. Smile
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
Jump to: