electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Easy PCB making
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
gubbeper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Easy PCB making Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've put some pictures and text here that show how I make my own PCB:s in my own kitchen, with no special tools and no chemistry degree. It's not a detailed instruction but more of a way to inspire fellow Sound Labers who might think this is more complicated than it is. Hope you enjoy it! Smile

IMG_0035.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.35 KB
 Viewed:  26668 Time(s)

IMG_0035.JPG

Last edited by gubbeper on Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice work and your kitchen looks very clean too. I've made all my pcbs
using Press and Peel Blue for my guitar FX, but haven't tackled the larger boards.

I don't know if you meant this
Quote:
Only a few hundred tiny hoes left to be drilled.

yep I know I'm juvenile hehehehe

I want to build the sequencer this winter. Keep me posted on how it goes.

deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

....it looks like you get excelent results (by doing careful work, no doubt). i have to say, however, that given the hole drilling operation, and the fact that adding legending on the other side is a pain, i've opted for mail order houses when i've needed custom boards.

deknow
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey very good work! I've never used photoresist, I've just did the "iron on" method by printing special paper through a laser printer. But photo resist looks much cleaner, and doesn't seem to need any touch up at all!

Unfortunately, most of the parts I use now have shrunken into TQFP and other surface mount packages, so going to board houses are sometimes the only choice. But I'll have to try out the photoresist next time I play with something like through-hole dips, or maybe even SSOP type packages.

Thanks for the post!

[edit : jk* - I moved this to the How To/Developer's Corner from the SoundLab forum so other's can find this info when making boards!]
gubbeper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oops Embarassed Thanks Zebra for the correction! Smile

About drilling hoLes I must say it is WAY easier than you might think. I would say it took about 20 minutes to do both these boards!
When it comes to legending I've noticed that if you use glass fibre based PCB:s they become semi transparent after the etching. That means you can see the PCB artwork through the board when looking at the component side. If you have the component layout in front of you on paper or on the computer screen, it's easy to find the same place on the board! The same is NOT true if you use PCB:s of the cheaper material that you can't see through.
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey gubbeper,

Excellent documentary. Time to be proud indeed! Gotta love that exposure unit Very Happy Are you using natriumpersulfat (en. spelling?) for the etching there?

It's so cool to make your own PCBs, I've done it some times too. I find the drilling to be the hard part, usually wearing out drill bits really fast, at least on epoxy boards, even using supposedly very tough bits.

Next up is double sided then? Idea Smile

DJ
--
gubbeper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dr: Thanks! And yes it says Natriumpersulfat on the package. I haven’t tried double sided yet but I don’t think it would be that hard. I read an other article about how to do it and basically you just tape the to negatives together and then, somehow, fix the board in between them. Didn’t look that complicated. Actually one of the boards on the pictures is double sided but the other side is simple enough that I decided to try and wire it by hand.
About drill bits, I’ve bought some, supposedly, professional ones from this guy that I’m eager to try out on the next board. I hope they’ll last a bit longer. - Pun intended Very Happy
DrJustice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Natriumpersulfat is nice to work with. When I was a kid we used jernklorid (en. sp. Ferite Chloride ?) - that was extremely messy - everything became rusty red!

I did some double sided boards by drilling guide holes in the board and the films, then using alignment pins through it all to hold it in position. Worked fine. The idea is that the board can then be handled somewhat and the films perhaps applied/reapplied for two single sides exposures etc., with repeatable alignment. But it is simpler and probably just as effective to use the tape method.

Still got a couple of makes of drill bits lying around to try out. Even though the likeliness of using a board house even for hobby projects is on the rise, you never know... might drag out the PCB kit someday just for the fun.

DJ
--
Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice work! Very Happy I have done the same, but with boards with fotoresist already on them, and with a UV-lamp... The result is really good! Very Happy Rolling Eyes

Don't forget that there are copper traces on the component-side on the sequencer boards, you'll have to add jumper-cables or something... I had to modify the board for that... Confused

http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
K

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy PCB making Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gubbeper wrote:
I've put some pictures and text here that show how I make my own PCB:s

wow...you make it look simple Very Happy
babuf77

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This link is no longer functional... Sad
gubbeper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

babuf77 wrote:
This link is no longer functional... Sad

Ops, sorry! Embarassed The url must have changed when I reinstalled the server some time ago. I changed the original posting to point to the new address so it should work now.

/Per

babuf77

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I cannot find this "photoresist" ANYWHERE. I found some pre-treated boards at a local shop, but that won't do. Anyone have anything for me? Or must I use the radioshack marker method?

Also, sources for copper clad boards would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks to all!
gubbeper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just asked at a local supplier so I'm afraid I can't help you there. I've included the instructions I got with the can though if that can be of any help.

Positiv20_instr_wiki.png
 Description:
Instructions for the can of photoresist used
 Filesize:  333.54 KB
 Viewed:  420 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Positiv20_instr_wiki.png

Last edited by gubbeper on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
DETOX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

does anyone of you (germans/german speaking) know the german name for "photoresist" and where to get it (all those chemicals in general)?

cool and very easy to understand tutorial gubbeper, thanks for that !
Floppy

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello detox, same question here, sorry i cant help.
and thank you gubbeper for the great tutorial.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.elv-downloads.de/downloads/platinenfolien/leiterplatten.pdf

has some of the words in German ... like "Photopositiv", "Eisen III Chloride", "ätzen" and what not Wink

I did a Google for German pages on the words "platinen selbst machen chloride" (without the quotes), there seem to be lots of useful links.

Coriolis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good tips on pacifying your better half - I took notes... Laughing

C

gubbeper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the kind words! I just realized that photo album has 6315 views Very Happy
I am going to update it soon though. I ran out of spray and started using PCB:s that where pretreated with photoresist and found out that they weren't at all as responsive to the kitchen sink light.
I kind of gave up and bought some special, non kitchen related, equipment Shocked It's a very small and generally crappy looking exposure box bought at Kjell.com:

http://www.kjell.com/?item=89445

I'll ad some information about that in the coming weeks.

/P

Ilanode

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DETOX wrote:
does anyone of you (germans/german speaking) know the german name for "photoresist"

It should translate as "Photolack/Fotolack".
DETOX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ilanode wrote:
DETOX wrote:
does anyone of you (germans/german speaking) know the german name for "photoresist"

It should translate as "Photolack/Fotolack".

have you seen it yet (to keep the board's language english)?
are you sure about that?

EDIT:

now i've read something about it too ! Smile
gubbeper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I re uploaded the instructions a few messages above that had disappeared somehow. It says "Fotokopierlack" in the lower right corner. Can that be the magic word you're looking for?

/P

Ilanode

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The German Wikipedia knows only Fotolack which is translated into Photoresist.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fotolack
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: