electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  mosc Back on the air tonight - Twyndyllyngs
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Toggle on/off switch...
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
AngusHastie

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Toggle on/off switch...
Subject description: ...using a momentary note-on footswitch?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to use a midi footpedal (which sends a momentary midi note-on) to toggle a sequence patch on and off. Anyone know the best way to build a simple toggle switch that responds to the keyboard gate and can be used for this sort of thing?
Cheers,
Angus
Antimon

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would use the "1" output of a binary counter as in the attached patch.

Is it possible to have the midi pedal send a midi control command instead? Then you could just assign the midi command to the button of a momentary toggle switch...

toggler.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  toggler.pch2
 Filesize:  954 Bytes
 Downloaded:  832 Time(s)

AngusHastie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh, of course, yes, that's the answer - cc rather than note-on. thanks
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Problem - if I assign a midi control # to a toggling switch, sending the control value (from an FCB1010 control pedal) only switches the switch on but does not toggle it on and off Confused
How can I get it to behave as a toggle rather than just an on signal?
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 6
G2 patch files: 213

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just patch a momentary switch into a Set-Reset flipflop. See attached patch. (I included resetting the flipflop at patch loading, so the toggle status is always 'off' when you load the patch. But this is optional.) Then assign the switch to your food pedal CC#.

flipfloptoggle.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  flipfloptoggle.pch2
 Filesize:  813 Bytes
 Downloaded:  729 Time(s)

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Instead of the switch in Tim's patch, you could also use the MIDI CtlRecv module. Then use the "Recv" output, not the value output. No matter what value is sent on the pedal, the toggle with flip between on<->off with each press.

I like this method, because it makes it easy to program the FCB, and allows me to use the same FCB patch for multiple G2 patches, without worrying about exact CC values as well as CC#'s.

Also, the FCB can toggle between two values itself, if you have EEPROM version 2.2 or later (I think). I have 2.4 right now, and the toggle feature is there. However, it is much easier to put the modules in the G2 than it is to program the FCB Smile Smile Smile
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!
I presume you mean that you replace the momentary switch with a control receive module, linked to a flip flop like in Tim's patch?
Also, can you download new software for the FCB?
Cheers, Angus
deknow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...also, the fcb1010 can send alternating cc value on each press of the same button. this is good for toggling!

you can download os updates for the 1010, and there are also some "user modified" os which looks quite useful with the nord. the best place to find this stuff is on the fcb1010 yahoogroup.

deknow
deknow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jk, i should have read your post more carefully so as not to repeate what you said.

deknow
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 150
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
.the best place to find this stuff is on the fcb1010 yahoogroup.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb1010/

AngusHastie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks, all. I'm still surprised that the Toggle Switch doesn't...well...toggle! I would have expected it just to change its state with each high signal received, but there you go...I'm sure there's some perfectly good reason.
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 36

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AngusHastie wrote:
thanks, all. I'm still surprised that the Toggle Switch doesn't...well...toggle! I would have expected it just to change its state with each high signal received, but there you go...I'm sure there's some perfectly good reason.

You can use the Flip Flop for that:

FlipFlop.jpg
 Description:
Note to toggle via flip-flop
 Filesize:  9.84 KB
 Viewed:  7374 Time(s)

FlipFlop.jpg

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are two types of switches: the momentary and the toggle. In theory, you should be able to set the toggle type switch to a CC messege, and each time it gets sent a non-zero value, the switch should toggle. It may be worth looking into whether it reacts to specific values, or just the fact a CC# was sent (just like the Rcv output from the ctlsend module).

The program you have in the FCB might also be doing something funky, like sending high value when pressed, and low value when depressed. I never dove too deep into the FCB to know everything it could do, just what I needed. But you might try a MIDI Monitor such as the one in MIDIOX, to actually see what messeges the FCB is sending out.
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 150
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
There are two types of switches: the momentary and the toggle. In theory, you should be able to set the toggle type switch to a CC messege, and each time it gets sent a non-zero value, the switch should toggle.

But that's not what it does ... it is off for a zero CC value and on for a non-zero value. Well, AFAIK.

The momentary switch gives a short pulse-like connection when the CC value goes from zero to above zero, the CC value has to drop to zero again to make it re-firable.

No idea why its called a toggle switch, probably for its button action; one press on. a next press off. But the thing that toggles is the button then and not the switch ...

There seems to be room for a third type of switch or a settable option on an existing one, the true-toggle. But the circuits proposed so far will do the trrick of course.

Funny though, I never would have thought it works in a non-logical way .. the way it does ...

Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: