electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
A DIY Theremin?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: A DIY Theremin? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been thinking about building a Theremin. Any suggestions which kit or design is the smart thing to get. Obviousoly midi / CV output is cool too..

Paia has a kit.. the manual is here: http://www.paia.com/thereman.zip

Moog has one.. and the net seems full of various takes on the Theremin.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Hmm.. or perhaps we could think up our own design and create the "electro-music.com theremin kit"?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought a Theremin from Moog, then call Big Briar. It is this one.

I paid a little more and he signed it. Exclamation

I don't need the MIDI output because I can easilly do that with the Nord Modular G2 by using the envelop and pitch followers.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might have seen these theremin kits from australia.

the paias and moogs are a lot classier looking though.

Also, here is a good resource page with good links:
http://www.rogo.com/folkstuff/theremin.html

I built an optical theremin from an Electronic Musician article once, but never truly finished it (I got transformers to replace the batteries it ran off of, but the case proved to be too small and I havn't the tools to make a new one). I am not a big fan of optic sensors since light is required.
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh.. the Theremax - I'm hankering after one!

Allegedly, it is one of the better ones in terms of controllability and there's some mods on the net to improve both control and sound. Paia prices are nice too Smile

DJ
--
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you take a look at the Theremax manual and schematics? I posted a link to a zipped pdf file in the first post?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DrJustice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've had a look at it, now and previously - never really studied it hough. Have you got anything special in mind, like pre-modding or something? Here's a link for Theremax builders: http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/theremin/tmaxmods.htm, and another genaral one: http://www.thereminworld.com/.

DJ
--
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, well.. I have had an idea about building something like the Theremax.. and using some old original Theremin cabinet design... making it look really cute and vintage. I also was thinking about adding a small modular synth to the box and a small foldout table thimngie with a midi or CV keyboard.. and also possibly some effects like stereo reverb and shit. The idea was partly to end up with a theremin controlled stereop filter. The idea was to have live control of stepsequenced filtering. You see... a kind of modular synth, theremin and filter bank with various sync options.. and yes.. of course.. at least stereo output.. and I have been dreaming about possibly extending this to some kind of playable surround patch. I have tested some ideas on the Nord Modular already.. but the mix of modules and options is more suitable for an analog modular synth / theremin hybrid.
The idea was partly to create a live instrument that compliments the modern gear I have.. and one that also allows me to patch up old sounds from way back when I actually had a full analog rig. Imagine.. and the whole thing could go into a vintage wooden cabinet with a modern flightcase enclosure.
Why don´t we have a theremin emoticon?? Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you find a Theremin emoticon, I'll make it part of the alreadly too huge collection.

Really, a G2 would do the entire thing for you. It has everything you mentioned, effects, midi I/O, surround panning. When you think about it, the G2 is a real bargin. And, since this is the DIY forum, I might add that every patch is DIY - unless you borrow other peoples', which is perfectly OK.

That's why I'm most interested in DIY controllers, because with the G2 and to some extent software synths, the circuitry isn't necessary.

Still, I've found the Theremin to be the most difficult instrument to play. When I hear Clara Rockmore, I'm amazed and humbled.

Last edited by mosc on Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a friend who built/owned/played a Theramax. Really great instrument. I've seen some other theramins & circuits for them, and the theramax does a very good job at staying stable, and staying musical by reacting to what you *want* it to react to, rather than junk noise in the room. It's also pretty well endowed in terms of controllability. However, I'm in Howard's camp...the audio & control inputs to the G2 are begging for expansion controllers, where the G2 can do most of the work of oscillators, midi-fication, etc...rather than the circuitry doing these things.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
Here's a link for Theremax builders: http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/theremin/tmaxmods.htm, and another genaral one: http://www.thereminworld.com/.

DJ
--

check this one too:
http://www.thereminvox.com/

yours truly
Links Editor Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Righto! That link is hot!
Very Happy

Uh.. well.. I have tried to read up on what the G2 can do.. and I kinda still thinks that what I have in mind is better done using analog gear instead. I know the G2 can be used for stuff like this but it kinda seems like overkill. I was thinking about some pipes and stuff into the NM classic.. for certain effects and stuff.. but in essence I was thinking about one lean mean analog sourround machine with a theremin interface.. and possibly also pedals and stuff.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I was thinking about one lean mean analog sourround machine with a theremin interface.. and possibly also pedals and stuff.

it has already been invented: it's called steam engine
cyclops shakng2 shaking compress shaking shakng2 cyclops

Quote:

Last edited by seraph on Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whatever you are smoking...I want a toke too..

happy smoker

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...i own a theremax (i built it several years ago...easy kit, took a day), and play in a band that had up to 4 theremins at one time (the lothars). all the other players had moog's, and they are much nicer instruments. i bought it originaly for the cv outs...i found that for most of what i did, knobs were better (they stay where you put them). i love the tmax, but i also play with lots of delay/reverb for more of a soundscapey thing than "notes". (i don't really play theremin in the band anymore, we are down to 2).

i've had a similar idea to yours, i was going to put a few analog synth's (some of tom g's EFM boards), an mmt8, and a tmax in a briefcase....but since 9/11, it would seem like a bad idea to make your instrument look like a portable nuclear device (i've had problems with guitar pedals in carry on).

in the end, howard is correct....the g2 is the perfect theremin synth. if you are looking for a moog theremin, one of my band mates is selling one of his (he is getting the new fancy model).

deknow
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have this in my PocketPC as well, works pretty good!

http://www.siliconmachines.com/clanger/

Hmmm...hadn't thought about it before, but I could put the output straight into the G2, and do the AM demodulation/envelope detection to get 2 control signals out of it...
gsga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know some don't like them, but you can get some interesting sounds using a pen light w/ the photo-theremins. These are interesting:
http://www.professortelevision.com/

There was, at one time a great little freeware ap called Virtual Theremin (mac) that had a fun interface with loops that you could play as backing tracks. The site no longer has it:
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/freeware/mac/
but I'm going to keep searching.

gsga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just found it. Still on my HD. So if you Mac users want it... I don't know how to upload this file. Instruct me.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mail it to me.. or attach it to a PM .. and I will try to figure it out. You should stuff it forst.. make a .sit file of it..
This is OS X or classic?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
gsga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Mail it to me.. or attach it to a PM .. and I will try to figure it out. You should stuff it forst.. make a .sit file of it..
This is OS X or classic?

I'll email to you. In an .sea / .sit
Classic.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THX! Very Happy ...

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Beto

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all! - I need to make a theremin track for the soundtrack of a Sci-fi film and, althoug I own a "real" theremin, it's impossible to keep it in tune and make a melody out of it, so I think that what I need is a virtual Theremin. ¿Could someone please post me the mac virtual theremin?

Thanks a lot! - Here's my mail:

info@losderrumbes.com

Beto LaCalle
santander, Spain

Last edited by Beto on Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrJustice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[Thread moved from developers corner]

Here is a page for a shareware virtual theremin for MacOS.

DJ
--
Beto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! - That's just what I need!
mosfran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all. I'm new in this site and very glad to discovered it.
Don't know if that link has already been given:

http://home.att.net/~theremin1/index.htm

Plenty of DIY theremin projects.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi mosfran
welcome to electro-music.com and thanks for the link Very Happy
of course I added that link to the Links page under Gear>miscellaneous gear

arrow http://electro-music.com/forum/links.php?id=24

Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: