electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
antique music / new sounds
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Carsulae

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: antique music / new sounds Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What do you think about antique music as baroque pieces reinterpreted with electronic sounds?

I found it an interesting way to exploring new methods with antique tecniques.

You can see my revisitation of famous Pachelbel canon at:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-8150.html

Thank

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is interesting. I haven´t listened to the Pachebel piece yet though. Some "early" european music also sounds a bit alien, which is a good thing. personally I find it more interesting to listen for what goes on in inside the music and try to learn new ways of thinking.. or old ways of thinking music.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Carsulae

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: But.. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't you know Pachelbel canon?
Probably i don'hunderstand wery well your reply...(my english language..)

But..

Yes , old music in electronic language seems a little joke but i think :
it would be not a new way of musical expression but an interpretation
with modern sound , an experiment ..

why writing a canon or a Bach fugue with electronic devices?
what would be the sound resulting in it?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this piece very well.

Very Happy

trivia: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachelbel's_canon]the wikipedia entry[/url]

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Carsulae

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: is my ignorance Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And......is my ignorance in electronic music..
i don't know Brian Eno music ( i've seen something in internet now..)

i'll buy some on line Brian Eno music .

I hope my version is'nt too like other musician versions.

Electro-music.com is a good place to learn more

Thank you

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not sure you will like Brian Eno´s music, but I think you should invest in listening to it.

What I suggest you do is to research various flavours of electronic music.

An important point to make is that this is more about music than the electronics side of it.

Something I think you will learn to appreciate is this one:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-306.html

It think it is reissued on CD. The LP is probably available in the secondhand vinyl stores too.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
orczy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I personally enjoy electronic versions of classical music, Tomita "Snowflakes" album being something I play everytime I am digging Debussy. The thing with that album is that he did something with the pieces. He added a certain flavour that was only hinted at wihin Debussy's piano pieces. I think this is the key.

I don't think there is anything wrong with using old forms and techniques within electronic music. I suppose the question is why? If you see older forms as a valid way to express yourself, then there is no problem. The danger may be that they could so easily end up soundinglike an academic exercise, especially with forms such as canon and fugue. That strict counterpoint with electronic exactness could end up becoming quite dry.

Regarding Eno: Highly recommended. Try "Discreet Music".
opg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

orczy wrote:

I don't think there is anything wrong with using old forms and techniques within electronic music. I suppose the question is why? If you see older forms as a valid way to express yourself, then there is no problem. The danger may be that they could so easily end up soundinglike an academic exercise, especially with forms such as canon and fugue. That strict counterpoint with electronic exactness could end up becoming quite dry.

I completely agree. You would turn it into Musak or General MIDI-sounding songs unless you put a lot of work into the sound of each voice itself - giving it more character, I mean.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is what I think too.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like this sort of thing. I like the original version very much and I've heard it millions of times played on many different instruments. It's very valid to play these Baroque pieces on different instruments, including electronic ones.

I encourage you to experiment more with this. I'm not sure I like your choices of sounds, but nevertheless I still like your version - I'd love to hear more...

You can get MIDI files of many of the classics on this web site: http://www.classicalarchives.com/ This is a fantastic resource. Highly recommended.

I enjoy playing these MIDI versions and trying to come up with interesting electronic instrumentation. I have a bit different opinion than most people about playing classical music with machine-like precision. To me the music really comes alive. I love it. It really connects me to the composers - like they are playing my synths for me. Particularly amazing to me is listing to MIDI versions of Chopin piano pieces. Mozart is fantastic as well.

Thanks for posting this... Good work.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nodular

G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would also suggest Wendy (Walter) Carlos' "Switched on Bach" and other experiments by the author on this matter (she performed several "Clockwork Orange" OST tracks).
I'm trying to kinda follow her steps now (joke), and I'm working hard on these pieces:

1) I. Stravinsky - Three Scenes from Petruska
2) F. Schubert - Ave Maria
3) F. Chopin - Prelude n. 4

It's an amazing kind of work.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nodular wrote:

I'm trying to kinda follow her steps now (joke), and I'm working hard on these pieces:

1) I. Stravinsky - Three Scenes from Petruska
2) F. Schubert - Ave Maria
3) F. Chopin - Prelude n. 4

Hope you can post something. I'd love to hear it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Didn't see this thread when it was fresh, but here is another recommendation. One of the records that made me an EM fan at a young age is:

"Everything You Always Wanted to Hear on the Moog (but were afraid to ask for)" By Andrew Kazdin and Thomas Z. Shepard (1967). It has 'adaptions' of:

Chabrier: Espana
Lecuona: Malaguena
Bizet: from Carmen; Habanera, Les Toreadors
Ravel: Bolero

The voicing is imaginative rather than imitative. I remember when I was little and listened to this - it was as if the music and the synthesizer spoke to me in the most haunting voices.

DJ
--
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:

"Everything You Always Wanted to Hear on the Moog (but were afraid to ask for)" By Andrew Kazdin and Thomas Z. Shepard (1967).

I remember seeing that album but I don't think I ever heard it.

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
"Everything You Always Wanted to Hear on the Moog (but were afraid to ask for)"

I had that one on cassette.

I liked Bolero.

Smile
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I had that one on cassette.

...forgive me for being ot, but i have switched on bach and the art of the synthesizer on 8 track!

deknow
illuminated

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edited
Last edited by illuminated on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I read on the net (so it may not be true) that Holst's family got the Tomita version of Planets pulled. They did not think it was appropriate.
On the surface, Carlos and Tomita did the same thing but their work is very different. With the exception of the Clockwork Orange soundtrack, I tend to prefer Tomita's stuff.
chuck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ancient music works very well with electronic instruments because the ancient music had no real constraints on tone color. This is why Switched on Bach worked.

After you've done some ancient music with electronic sounds.... try listening to your favorite electronic music and imagine what you would have to do to make this with ancient instruments. This is one way to see the power of electronic music.

Charles E. Ives
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can check my rendition of Danse De La Poupee by Debussy for flute and synthesizers

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
K

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
you can check my rendition of Danse De La Poupee by Debussy for flute and synthesizers

very French indeed Very Happy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:

I did! Excellent stuff.

K think s this is "french". Well, sure but how french in which way? Dunno, perhaps it is french in a swedish way? Is there a video too? Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
K

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Well, sure but how french in which way?

something like
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK.. that kinda french. I see.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
orczy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
I read on the net (so it may not be true) that Holst's family got the Tomita version of Planets pulled.

Yes this is true. Imogen Holst thought Tomita's versions were disrespectful, and the album was pulled in the UK only. I am sure it was always available everywhere else.
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: