electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Patch Load??
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
r3n0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Patch Load?? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello the NM community!

I tried in depth the G2 native demo, and I have to say I find it really interesting!!
Now I'm planning to buy a G2 Engine, but before any move I need to know more about the hardware calculation power.
I do not know if the "Patch Load" indicators show the available power for the whole G2 (the four DSP) or just for one DSP.
In the G2 PDF manual, I found things that help me think the Patch Load shows only 1 DSP power. But I'm not sure about it, just because it's not that obvious with my poor english skills. I tried a search on this very forum too, but I didn't find anything.

This is really important because some patches I made with the G2 demo software are really close to the 100% Cycles or Memory (or both), and I need more power!

So can anyone tell me, does the "Patch Load" indicators show the available power of the 4 DSP, or just one DSP?
In other words, if I use for example 80% memory in slot A with a monophonic patch, will it be possible to use more than 20% memory in another slot with another monophonic patch?

Thanks in advance

BTW great forum, lots of interesting things around here!
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi r3no, welcome to this forum.

To answer your question, 100% means 100% of one DSP. So, an unexpanded G2 engine or keyboard has 400% DSP power. An expanded G2 engine, keyboard (or a G2X) therefore has 800% DSP power.

Remember that the real G2 (not the demo) has four slots (4-part multitimbrality), and the patches in these slots can "talk" to each other via four internal audio busses and comprehensive interslot MIDI. Eg., one patch in one slot can be a MIDI sequencer which plays a polyphonic patch in another slot. So it is totally possibly to bundle the entire DSP power into one monster modular patch, if you want to.
r3n0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok tim, thanks for your reply and for the good news!
I already knew the slots can communicate via busses, and this sounds very promising. Cant wait to buy my Engine!
Cool
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to electro-music.com

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
frater v.i.o.

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heya.
today i loaded severel patches in the slots and even if patchload was not 100% each,often it was not possible to assign any voices to the last slot.

i reduced allocated voices to 2 in the other slots but it wont help.
there is still some patchload left but "voicemode" sign is red.
do i missunderstand something?
i thought it gives me 4*100% patchload.
plz help.thx. Wink

edit-o-mat:think i've got it...
what confused me was that i could not load a patch up to all 4 slots.but i guess the fx area is just one for all slots in a way.right?
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frater v.i.o. wrote:
i guess the fx area is just one for all slots in a way.right?

If you dont use FX area, each slot can be up to 100%. On the old NM, the VA+FX could not use more than 100%. On the G2, each FX area can use a whole processor by itself, so on an expanded G2 you can use all 800% dsp. On an unexpanded G2 it is possible to max out the DSP with only two slots in use.
frater v.i.o.

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aahh thx.
now i finally get it.
hmm i guess i'll have to get me this expansion board... Cool
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: