electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
looking for some active monitors
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
larns

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: looking for some active monitors
Subject description: found a big price difference
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'v been looking for some active monitors for my bedroom studio, i'm looking for something suitable for my room, i need a smallish pair of monitors because i don't have much space. i need a flat response and also a good frequency range. i'm looking for quality at a low price if that is possible.

my budget is low only £200 so it's a tough one.

im interested in the 'behringer b2031a' and the 'elesis one mk 2'

but iv also been looking at the 'E-MU PM5' i found 2 places selling them, but for very different prices. here are the 2 links

http://www.etcetera.co.uk/products/EMU410.shtml

http://www.nusystems.co.uk/product/E-MU.PM5

do you think they are overpriced on the first site or underpriced on the second?

does anyone have any recommendations?

thank you
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suggest you check out the Yamaha MSP5 active monitor. This model is very useable, very fun, quite musical and inexpensive. IMO it is far more useable for musicians than the new Yamaha HS series. It is not unlikely you will want to keep the MSP5s even if you upgrade to better monitors later on.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: looking for some active monitors

larns wrote:
i'v been looking for some active monitors for my bedroom studio, i'm looking for something suitable for my room, i need a smallish pair of monitors because i don't have much space. i need a flat response and also a good frequency range. i'm looking for quality at a low price if that is possible.

my budget is low only £200 so it's a tough one.

im interested in the 'behringer b2031a' and the 'elesis one mk 2'

but iv also been looking at the 'E-MU PM5' i found 2 places selling them, but for very different prices. here are the 2 links

http://www.etcetera.co.uk/products/EMU410.shtml

http://www.nusystems.co.uk/product/E-MU.PM5

do you think they are overpriced on the first site or underpriced on the second?

does anyone have any recommendations?

thank you

I am not too fond of the Alesis or the Behringer monitors. The Alesis isn´t really that bad, but it is slightly muddy in the bass and not really as transparent as it should be. One might say it sounds "oldish". However, both of these can sound pretty impressive and that might be all you need right now.

If your room is very small, then you can forget about deep bass. At best you can expect standing waves and a serious room boom. Since this is a bedroom, obviously the bed itself will provide some room dampening, but still ..

The MSP5 is a different kind of beast. It is clearly not neutral, but in this case this doesn´t matter much. It has decent dynamics, a decent extension in the lower bass, great spatiality and a very musical sound. If you know what you are doing, you will also be able to get very good translation of mixes. Be aware that mix translation is not just about the monitors, it is also about how you hear what you think you are hearing. IMO it will be far easier to learn to mix with the MSP5 than with the Alesis or the Behringers. ( Later on when you have that grand 35 square meter control room with all Neve gear you will probably still have a pair of MSP5s on the meter bridge.. just in case.. )

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: looking for some active monitors

larns wrote:

I strongly suspect the high price is for a pair while the low one is for a single speaker. In that case "nu systems" is still cheaper, but only by a single pence...

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: looking for some active monitors

Kassen wrote:
larns wrote:

I strongly suspect the high price is for a pair while the low one is for a single speaker. In that case "nu systems" is still cheaper, but only by a single pence...

Yup, seems like Kassen is right.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
larns

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes your right, the lower priced one is only for a single speaker, i didn't know they sold them singulary seems strange they do.

anyway my room isn't that small, its about 15ft by 10ft but there is a lot of furniture in the room, and i am in a semi detached house so i have to think of the neighbors

the MSP5s are a bit out of my price range, there roughly £300 (uk price)
so although they seem good, i cant afford them, is there anything else a little less exspensive?
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

check those M-Audio BX5A

arrow http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileBX5a-main.html

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
larns

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

again out pf my price range 400 notes too much for me, iv got bills to pay man. i have my eye on the MACKIE S5 but not sure just not sure
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Event TR5s are also an alternative. To my ears the Events are a bit better than the BX5s.

Re soundcard.. you could try to get something like the M -Audio Audiophile 2496. I have seen that one adverrtised in the UK for approx. UKP 40. You can buy a more advanced card later on. This card is quite decent.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
larns

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iv just bought the Emu 0404 soundcard il check out the Event TR5s thanks
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: