electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Sound Lab -> modular
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
slabman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Sound Lab -> modular
Subject description: Turning the Sound Lab into a modular
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe this is kind of a silly idea but would the circuits in the Sound Lab be suitable for turning into individual modules in a modular synth? That way it might be possible to get into the modular world gently and economically with a small battery powered modular than can be expanded. The only disadvantage I see is that the oscillators are not as 'pro'-level as those you might normally get in a modular. That might not matter too much if noise & fun were more important than strict tuning.
Sprak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It sure is Smile Check this out (some pages down):
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/SOUNDLABMINISYNTH/SoundLabMods.html
I'm currently making my Soundlab modular. It's a tricky but really fun thing to plan the optimal modular layout. (Must..resist...urge..to add...a million... output amount knobs...!)

bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've taken the Soundlab VCOs and built them into my beginnings of a modular.. They work fine for what I'm doing at the moment 'cos I'm not really going for many synth-lines, more for creating a massive sonic-processing system (which is working out just fine at the moment!).

There are details within MFOS which show how to change the VCOs to 1V/Oct scaling and they do track reasonably well like this.

There's two of them in one of my test boxes (the two bits on the far left hand side of the pic::)
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

EDIT:: been meaning to try out the Soundlab's Env Gen too...
bugbrand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah --- I'd recommend 4mm banana plugs for the connections 'cos they're great!
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 51

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Remember too that the soundlab circuits run even better off +/-12V. My setup (which will eventually have a "modular" section) has both 12 & 15V supplies which should cover most modules I might make.
BTW I had trouble trying to get my noise tranny to spill the beans with 2 9V batteries, but ever since I changed to the +/-12V PSU it's leakin' noise like Niagra Falls!!

slabman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: inspirational! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks all - you've confirmed I'm not crazy (well at least not in that one small area of my life). I'm going to start some serious planning about how to do this. Probably start with one VCO, EG & VCA - that will at least get me up and runnning with percussion sounds.

I guess there's also the converse question to this, which is: has anyone thought of building a Sound Lab in one of the 'serious' modular synth formats (MOTM, FracRack, etc) as a self-contained voice module? Not my personal cup of tea but could be neat in a larger setup.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 51

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure what the serious modular formats are!! Razz
But I'm sure it could be done.

bugbrand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm waiting for several Paia Frak Raks plus a selection of blank panels to arrive.. I think these'll be IDEAL (and very well priced even with international shipping.. as long as the customs don't slap a great import tax on it..) for making proper modules that can be taken out, moved around etc.. Similar looking size-wise to the doepfer modules for example
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: