electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 Version 1.40 Released!
Page 4 of 7 [155 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:

How does the guitar know you are picking in a different location?
Is there an opto-sensor that detects right hand movement?

Its not actually the guitar that does it but rather the converter which is an AXON AX 100 MK II ( http://produceren.terratec.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1 ).

The AXON blurb states it uses a neural network of some kind to determine pitch, tone characteristics and the picking position from the transient of the pick. This is different to other midi convertors which analyse the waves from the string.

As far as I am concerned though its probably some form of magic.

It works very well though, I used it mainly to send modulation but now I have CC70 as well.

Cheers

Andy
monobass

G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
It would be nice if you were able to tell the mutator to mutate osc pitches by octaves... but i guess if you start putting in these special cases the GUI for the mutator will become messy after a while.

Absolutely.. It's always better for things like this to start simple. The gui is so important and could so easily just turn into hell. The mutator will no doubt mutate over time.

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
Am I crazy or does it sound better now? Some reworking of the basic audio stuff or maybe just a little tweak to the reverb or maybe just my imagination.
Seems to be an improvement in the upper mid - high range on old patches. Clearer and less fatiguing somehow.

Yeah I hear it, but that could just be the new uses for old patches that makes me think it sounds better. It could also be the new soundcard that I got too Very Happy I'd be interested to see what those graphs say with v1.4

But talk about a breath of fresh air! I've been through alot of old patches and created (or should I say mutated/crossed) some great sounds from them. Sequenced patches are fantastic when being mutated!! And more often than not, mutations inspire me to expand on the patch, add new functions etc. I'm still blown away by the organic nature of the cross breeder. Especially with sound effect patches, you can really hear that the cross variations come from the parents - they have similar characters, with some interesting changes in timbre.

Once again, a big thankyou to Clavia for such an excellent addition!
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, you're not alone...
I also have the feeling old Patches don't sound the same... well, it is the same, but... more defined, more detail... more open?

Wout
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:

Unfortunately MutaSynth isn't freeware yet and I think it will never be, now it is implemented into the G2.

Oops .. I thought it was :-(

monobass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Wout Blommers wrote:

Unfortunately MutaSynth isn't freeware yet and I think it will never be, now it is implemented into the G2.

Oops .. I thought it was Sad

I think having to set up all the cc's by hand (and importantly choosing which to map and how to categorise them) for the NM would kind of defeat the reason why the G2 one is so good.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

_ Steve _ wrote:

I think having to set up all the cc's by hand (and importantly choosing which to map and how to categorise them) for the NM would kind of defeat the reason why the G2 one is so good.

Sure it will never be a G2, but there are some MIDI CC mapping tools for the Classic as well of course :-)

monobass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
_ Steve _ wrote:

Sure it will never be a G2, but there are some MIDI CC mapping tools for the Classic as well of course Smile

Yeah true.. are there tools which will map cc's to all parameters regardless of whether they are mapped to knobs or not? Unfortunately it's an academic question now anyway it seems Smile

It would still take time and I find I just write better music from things being fast, it's all about spur of the moment things for me. Thats why I find my patches don't get used in songs until I've generally left them un-listened for a month... so the technical knowledge of how they were patched and what was frustrating or took a long time doesn't influence me... such as the old classic "this patch took 6 hours... so I HAVE TO USE IT" Smile

The mutator will alow me to put instant new perspectives on a patch.. and wipe away the 'baggage' of it's creation.. that means a lot to me.. planning kills my creativity.

Axiom

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

today i've finally installed the new OS. it kickass. the nord sounds far better in the mid-hi range.. seems to be more brilliant.

The patch mutator.. well.. i'm usually against any kind of automations. I love to manually patch and develop my sounds.. but.. this function is AWESOME. It can give new starting points to develop other sounds within a patch and it shows its bests on sequenced patches. Thumbs up to Clavia and Mr. Palle.

I will never stop to endorse Clavia instruments. They deserves endless advertisement for quality of their products Smile

Luca
Macrostructure

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
The Patch Adjuster is very cool, IMHO. I'm very disappointed you can't assign the knobs to the G2's physical knobs. These knobs would be so fabulous to use in live performance.

Agree 100%. For me this is actually more inspiring than the mutator.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pleasant surprise: in the editor CTRL+Z now works over variation changes !
monobass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Pleasant surprise: in the editor CTRL+Z now works over variation changes !

So if you accidentally copy a variation to the wrong slot you can undo it?..

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

_ Steve _ wrote:

So if you accidentally copy a variation to the wrong slot you can undo it?..

Hmm, when I later needed that it didn't do it ... maybe I did something wrong.

Before that I had been doing variation switches and edits and CTRL+Z coold correctly unwind that, something I couldn't remember to have seen before.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, bed time :-)

wyleu

G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: An interesting measure of usage. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Has anyone who has some sort of patch object model, got a utility to count the number of variations in a patch?

It should be interesting to see if there is a greater use of the variations features of the synth before and after the introduction of 1.4.

This aspect of the mutator must encourage Clavia as it could well be leading to an increase in the use of the variations buttons which are so prominently displayed on the user interface.

Be nice to display the number of variations in the the patch archive to further aid this process.

windchill

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jamos wrote:
What a bummer. No significant new features other than the patch randomizer. Color me disappointed.

Personally I am with Jamos on this one. I am glad that many of you are enjoying the Mutator - and I can see that it is well implemented and is, for some types of user, a useful tool. For me however it is a complete waste of space - lower in importance than just about every request this group has ever added to the wish list. I doubt if I will ever use it. What's worse is it indicates that Clavia's priorities for the G2 may be radically different from what I would like to see (but this is of course Clavia's prerogative).
windchill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But it must be said ....it sure is good at making very silly noises Surprised
monobass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you prefer serious noises windchill? Wink
windchill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

_ Steve _ wrote:

Ha ha, in a way ... yes.
The work I do with the G2 is laboriously tweaked and fussed over until it is exactly what I want.
I am a control-freak when it comes to sculpting sound
My comment about silly noises indicates that although I have had a great deal of fun today with the patch mutator - nothing has changed my opionion about it being of little use to me in my musical work.
But ... yes ... it is fun.
monobass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

windchill wrote:
_ Steve _ wrote:

Ha ha, in a way ... yes.
The work I do with the G2 is laboriously tweaked and fussed over until it is exactly what I want.
I am a control-freak when it comes to sculpting sound.

Me too, it's just I also do the tweaking by manipulating recordings of my G2 patches rather than always through patching. If I found a mutation that contained a fantastic sound which only comprised 1% of the total output of that patch I wouldn't hesitate to extract that 'good bit' with digital scissors and use it in my compositions Smile
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Axiom wrote:
today i've finally installed the new OS. it kickass. the nord sounds far better in the mid-hi range.. seems to be more brilliant.

I'd love to hear what one of the bigwigs has to say about this (like Rob, cebec, Kassen etc.) I can definitely hear it - for a start the G2 is sitting in my tracks alot better than it used to!
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like to hear from the experts as well. I don't feel like going back to 1.32 to compare, but this picture shows the result of passing a saw wave through my phase shifter building block. The sinc pulses are visible as with 1.32, but they seem smaller and are 'animated', ie change polarity and shape from cycle to cycle. This seems to verify that some low level change has been made, or that my memory is really bad.

I haven't notice any changes like this on any of the other versions.

sinc.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.81 KB
 Viewed:  11614 Time(s)

sinc.jpg

The Why Project

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can hear the differences too... it sounds a like the G2 got some more
'bite', like my MicroModular has.

Me thinks that's great! thanks

Regards,

The Why Project
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

take a look at the pulse waves, too. they have a slightly different shape and there's no ringing on the transitions, which i distinctly remember being there last week.
i compared some fft plots to some jpgs of same (1 khz square, 12.54 kHz 10% pulse, and Afro88's controltest_tk2) but didn't notice anything strikingly different.
the scope tells another story, though, it seems...

maybe i'll set aside some time to compare 1.32 to 1.40.
one thing i noted is that the preview of the Stage's 2.0 OS says it will include enhancements to the synth section's 'analog' waveforms
monobass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heres a comparison of the waveform of an early patch I created for a waldorf pulse emulation.

Ignore the ring around the sync pulse, but you'll notice the general shape and the resonance on the peaks looks different.

Version 1.32 - Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Version 1.4 - Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

pulse_wave_01_147.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  pulse_wave_01_147.pch2
 Filesize:  1.3 KB
 Downloaded:  1160 Time(s)

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

_ Steve _ wrote:
Heres a comparison of the waveform of an early patch I created for a waldorf pulse emulation.

Yeah, the big difference is that the 1.32 AA is the same on each cycle where 1.4 varies (at least when the wave frequency is not an exact multiple of the sample rate). Looks like the pre 1.4 may have been not quite right.

Edit: The most obvious improvement is in the output of, for example, the compare module, when using it as a saw to pulse shaper. Much less aliasing Very Happy I think this was in the wish list somewhere.
Page 4 of 7 [155 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: