electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
What is it that I'm doing here?
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: What is it that I'm doing here? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be interested to know what it is that I'm doing here. I have no clue about AD converters.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It might get clearer when you leave out the filter and replace the first osc by a real slow LFO that you set to saw mode and also to have an inverted positive only output signal.

And maybe this link helps : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AD_converters

Don't know if you know the saying ... about the one fool being able to ask more questions than ten wise can answer. Not that I think you are a fool or that I am wise or something, but still it made me think on that ....

Ok, some words : What you are doing is that you make an 8 bit digital signal of the first oscillator that you then convert to analog again using fantasy weights, which might be called a sort of static wave shaping. Then you FM a 2md osc with that - it will sound pretty wild I gues :-)

sebber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your reply and the link to Wikipedia. I should always go there first before asking a question here.

I was hoping for one of those deep explanations that often show up on this great board, so I just tried my luck. It's of course nothing that can be expected. I actually know about the filter and the FMing, and your answer showed me the direction where I should look for more information (static waveshaping).

Certainly not on this board, though, it's always daring to ask a question and I know of people that don't post their patches or ask questions because this is an expert's board. I hate to be a nusiance, so I should refrain from doing so, too. In order for electro-music to be a board for everybody I propose the building of a "safe" subforum for questions like this. The gap between the experienced NM now G2 users and beginners is a) too big for beginners not to be intimidated and b) for experienced users not to be annoyed by questions asked already in 1999.

This above paragraph is in no way criticism on the board. But I don't think the usual "There's no stupid question" helps, your answer made it clear. I hope it is seen as a constructive proposal.

Thanks again for "static waveshaping", I'll search in that direction. And yes: it's doesn't sound exactly angelic Smile
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have always considered the NM mailinglist and later on this forum a very open place, where beginners, intermediates and absolute synth guru's exchange information, ideas and patches (!). I started into the synth business myself with a micromodular in the late glory days of the mailing list. Surely, I have asked some annoying beginners questions (and still do sometimes), but either nobody responded, or someone pointed me in the right direction like in this thread. Imho, there's no need for a separate forum for that
sebber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it's just a proposal. I personally know some people who feel like this. It's good to hear that it's different for you.
But this is the wrong place for this discussion, I'm sorry I've started it. It should be posted in the main forum with a poll and only G2-starters should be allowed to answer Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber I didn't mean to put you down with the remarks I made. I tried to say that it was not easy for me to answer your queston. I used words for that that were meant to be joking, I'm sorry for the wording I choose.

Other words :

One can make interesting G2 patches with just a few modules that are almost impossible to understand. Making such a patch simpler or slower or removing feedback from it can be ways to try to find out what happens.

sebber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan, I was not mad or anything. Still thanks for clearing it though, makes me feel better.

I still cling to the idea of a low-threshold subforum, but that's something you moderators have to discuss. I believe it would enhance an already great place. The G2 is a modular synth of the next generation. Maybe it's time for a kindergarten for the ones that can barely look over the table.

Got to to work now. Have a nice weekend everybody.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
Jump to: