electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Ambiloop Real Time Ambience Looping Software
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Ambiloop Real Time Ambience Looping Software Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I came across this software while surfing through the Loopers Delight website ( www.loopersdelight.com ). I have not tried it yet. There is a currently active forum for it on Yahoo groups. It appears to be pretty cool - up to 8 loops can run at the same time. You can also control various parameters via MIDI. I am going to play around the software this weekend - I'll post my experience afterwards. Here is the address for it:
http://www.evenfall.com/ambiloop/index.html

I have put the link in the links section of the website as well under Music Software.

Dave
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mike Victor has used this software in Fringe Element.
He likes it alot.
DES

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One thing about it I forgot to mention - it's FREE! Very Happy
I have been looking at various looping devices - the Boss RC20, the digital echoplexs, Line 6 DL4 - they are ok but didn't give me the control I wanted or were not able to operate in stereo. Supposedly this software does...guess I'll find out!

unfortunatley I have not had a chance to try out a Boomerang looping pedal nor the Lexicon Jam-Man - those are supposed to be real good...

Dave
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you should also try the AKAI E1 - HEADRUSH Tap delay/Tape Echo Simulator/Looping Recorder
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen..
it sounds very well Exclamation

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ohh... that one beats using tape loops.

I once tested the "adjustable loop box" for the ferrographs.
It did work.. but in order to get it to work hours would be spent adjusting the adjustments.. the gate train output was cool though. easy to sync an old sequencer to the pulses.. ! excellent!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With rare exceptions, like Amy X Neuburg, people over use loopers. I think this is because they are so easy to use and they provide a substitute for talent and imagination.

I saw a peformance last year where Victor Wooten, perhaps the best bass player I've ever heard - of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones,, did an absolutely horrid and boring performance using a looper. It seems facination with the technology can overpower artistic sensibility.

I make the same argument for echo and reverb, BTW. Laughing

My philosophy on these things, "just a touch, not too much."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree that loopers are overused. And they tend to produce music that is static. However, they can be useful, especially for a solo performer.
I don't agree about reverb however. Sometimes lots of reverb can make great spacey effects, though not necessarily "natural."
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
reverb can make great spacey effects, though not necessarily "natural."

Quite right. natural space sounds is an oxymoron since there is no atmosphere, and hence no sound, in space. Wink

Also, odd. In space, if there was sound, there would be no sound reflections as the nearest surfaces would be thousands or millions of miles away. If there was sound, it would be very dry. Why do we associate sounds that sound like they were recorded in a tank or bathroom as spacey?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Why do we associate sounds that sound like they were recorded in a tank or bathroom as spacey?

They should only be associated to recordings done inside spacey bathrooms. Everyone should have one Exclamation Shocked Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

loops can be made intersting when they are placed in the right context within an arrangement and mix, and are kept dynamic with varying modulation

i can think of a lot of linear pattern-based music that is boring and predictable and whose conventions are used and misused as a 'subsitute for talent and imagination'

blanket ,general statements like
Quote:
people over use loopers. I think this is because they are so easy to use and they provide a substitute for talent and imagination.
are never 100 per cent correct

as for reverbs or any samples etc

violin sounds should come from a real violin, or if you want a room sound, use a room

but samples and FX can be used to create 'impossible' spaces [ultra huge] and or impossible sounds [a violin sample played 6 octaves below middle c]

but the rule for me is..never replace what is real with what is a processed event..and use processed events to imply 'the unreal'
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I often use reverb inside efx patches. very effective and it does not sound like reverb.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paul e.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3 voice loop idea

in a given key in 4/4 time

assign a counter point melody to 3 voices [of the same sound]

make voice 1, 3 beats long
make voice2, 5 beats long
make voice 3, 7 beats long

send them on an infinite loop

i don;t know enough about math, but i think there will be thousands and thousand of permutaions that can be heard

estimated time of listening before getting bored = 3 hours

hehehe
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, that is one sual way to add some action. You can as well make similar loops which are sequenced modulation/efx/filtering using the same scheme.. on top of rythm/tonal patterns/loops. Like having a stepfiltering scheme running which is 2 bars or 8 bars or whatever etc. etc.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paul e.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
a stepfiltering scheme running which is 2 bars or 8 bars or whatever etc. etc.

THAT is cool
paul e.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW cycling 74's Pluggo has a few sequenced/stepped filtering plugs in their suite
DES

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looping CAN be boring just as any repetitive arpeggio, chord progression, sequence, etc... It is a tool and as with all tools they can be used to produce good or bad results.

There is a Stick player - Glen Poorman - who has been using looping for a while. Go to this link - http://www.poorman.ws/detroitstick/music/downloads/ and check out "Untitled Soundscape" - I think this a very tasteful use of looping. While there check out some of his other material - some of these songs I believe were done "live" so to speak. I believe he also has a midi pickup on his Chapman Stick which he uses.

To clarify what I am talking about - my interest is on live performance looping - a person plugs in and starts playing, kicks in the loop start point and then kicks it out at one point then proceeds to either record another part or to "modify" the currently playing loop with filters, or whatever. This is similar to a person on a modular for example entering a pattern into the sequencer, hitting play, then modifying various parameters while the sequence is playing.

Dave
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your combined loop of 3, 5, and 7 beats will start repeating after 105 beats (probably less than one minute). But that may be long enough that you don't notice it as a repetitive thing.
I tend to use random patterns - they never repeat!

I don't think the term "spacey" generally refers to outer space. Any place you make a sound can be considered a space, whether it's a living room or a cavern. Using reverb to give a sense of space just means putting some dimensions on it. The bigger the dimensions, the "spacier" the room.
It can also refer to music that tends to put you in a "spaced out" state of mind, which might have nothing to do with reverb!
paul e.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Your combined loop of 3, 5, and 7 beats will start repeating after 105 beats (probably less than one minute). But that may be long enough that you don't notice it as a repetitive thing

i told you i wasn;t good at math..hehehe

and, this is just meant as one loop ..offset and layer that loop idea with a series of loops, and things get funky

paul e.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

incidentally, how did you arrive at the figure of 105 beats for the above l
just curious Question

egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3, 5, and 7 are relative primes. So you just multiply them.
(Relative primes means they don't have any common factors)
If you have numbers with common factors, such as 3, 5, and 6
then you have to remove the common factors before multiplying them.
So those would repeat after 30 beats (3 x 5 x 2).
paul e.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah, thank you, egw..

very informative

egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another way to think of it,
what is the smallest number that is an integer multiple of all three.
Thats when all the patterns will be starting again at the beginning.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I downloaded Ambiloop and I can't figure out how to make dynamically set loop length. It seems you have to predetermine the loop length.

Dave, is that right? There are no directions.

I'd think you could start recording and then tap a button to stop - thus setting the loop length.
DES

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard - I can't answer that question as I downloaded it yesterday and have had no time to play with it. I did sign up at Yahoo Groups for their user group and it seems pretty active - just look for Ambiloops for the groups id and check it out. From what I remember reading you should be able to do just that - start playing and hit enter and exit points....From what I gather the actual development group hangs out at the yahoo group location - there are also two beta versions there as well in the downloads section.

Hopefully this weekend I'll have a chance to dig into this...

des[/quote]
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Dave. I don't thing I'll have time to check out the mailing list for a while, though. I'll wait for your assesment.
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Jump to: