electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Patch adjuster with exclude options?
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Patch adjuster with exclude options? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

I don't want to start a poll yet, but I'm wondering what you guys think about the patch adjuster.
I like the function but I find it really annoying that you can't lock modules when you use it Sad
This makes it almost impossible to use it without destroying a diy-circuit.

Do you think we also should have an "exclude from patch adjuster" like we have the
"exclude from mutation" option? I think this would make the patch adjuster even more usefull.

misty.
Acidfever

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you are right.

Yesterday i was using the adjuster on a patch with Robs Tiltfilter in it and things went bad because of this.

You should be able to lock modules out from any of this stuff.

Sometimes you just do not want certain areas to be affected because they mean a lot to the sound of the patch.
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep, i think it's essential. even better would be to give us access to specific controls rather than modules... for the adjuster AND the mutator Twisted Evil

but, i suggested the extra adjuster control to the team during testing...
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like this gizzmo, but I would really like it if you could attach one or more of these controls to a morph group so it could be adjusted by a knob or external MIDI CC when you are playing.

The exclude modules feature you suggest would indeed be great too, but if this thing just created morph groups then you could always disconect the stuff you didn't want to be in the group.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a great idea Howard. I noticed how helpful the adjuster is, but it really is a small step to make it a very powerful tool. Just simply making it an automated Morph assigner is great.
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
That's a great idea Howard. I noticed how helpful the adjuster is, but it really is a small step to make it a very powerful tool. Just simply making it an automated Morph assigner is great.

FYI, I already asked the guys about adding such as feature; in person at NAMM (and prior to NAMM too).
/Dasz
eposk

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i absolutely love the new patch adjuster and mutator features!!!

but why cant you assign midi CC to the patch adjuster? I would love to include these controls on the G2 knobs. being able to assign the random function to a button would be ideal.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
FYI, I already asked the guys about adding such as feature; in person at NAMM (and prior to NAMM too).
/Dasz

So, what did they say? Is this coming before or after we get the fixed filter bank? Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dasz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's on the list of features as usual. But no promises or commitments as usual.
/Dasz
AngusHastie

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Surely assigning a patch adjuster control to a knob or MIDI CC and then excluding the controls you don't want to change is not a million miles away from what you can easily do already - i.e. just assign all attack times (or timbre, mod rate or whatever) controls to a knob?
dasz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, sure. But its way more usable, and the idea for the feature is to let people tweak existing patches and not look for all the attack knobs.

The Nord Modular is not easy for all of us. And also, each of us is very different as a nord user, and not all of us can understand each other's patches, so this feature has merit. Me included.

It is a 10 minute, 30 lines of code feature to write. (I'm guessing, as a former VB6/C# GUI developer)

Now, I wish you could create your own group. The ones they have are nice, but I wish to be more specific about which types of controls to include. This is more a vertical way of tweaking, a neat concept. Nice one, Clavia.

I just created a prf2 in 43 minutes (from scratch, with an idea of what I wanted, but this is not what happened in the end). That's a new record! It's called NAMM_DZ.

Next one will include a neat idea I have been thinking about. New ideas, all the time. Back to patching.
/Dasz
AngusHastie

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm. Curious as to why they didn't include this feature in 1.4 given that it's evidently so easy to implement. It's not like they didn't think of it because the manual makes specific mention of the fact that it's not an available feature!
Question
dasz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My estimate is in VB6/C#. You know, go through a collection of modules, find all the commonly named parameters. Add a pointer to each unique one to a collection of collections (one per type of parameter). Each time a module is added or removed it is added and removed from this 2d collection. Then it is a matter of assigning all the common parameters to a morph.

But alas, there are always priorities, such is life. And deadlines. You have to cutt off new development at some point otherwise you won't release it.
/Dasz
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I like this gizzmo, but I would really like it if you could attach one or more of these controls to a morph group so it could be adjusted by a knob or external MIDI CC when you are playing.

I'm wondering if that would be possible?
The adjuster lives in the editor, not the G2.
What would happen when you tweak that morph when there isn't a computer connected to your G2?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would just suggest having an option on the patch adjuster added to the editor. You right-click on a patch adjuster knob and you have the option of assigning it to a morph group.

I find it useful and convenient that page E on the front panel is usually used for effects. I can often quickly adjust the reverb parameters, even on patches that are otherwise unknown to me if the patcher respects this convention.

It's usually really hard to adjust some of the other things that the patch adjuster identifies. I'd love to have the attack/release times brought to the front panel on many polyphonic keyboard style patches. Just jumping to Page C rarely does the job as there are usually several EGs in the patch. Oh, happy happy joy joy indeed.
jksuperstar

G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would think the code is small, but for having it built in to the Nord, requires a bit more patience and care in coding....memory limits, performance issues, etc.

I think howard is right though, it wouldn't be a difficult request for the editor. The question though, is how is this handled in the Nord itself? Do you use Morphs? Because that would break some patches (s would auto-assigning MIDI controls to many knobs). Do you have this almost as a second set of morphs? That might blow up the bandwidth that exists for all the processors to communicate with each other and how the system was originally designed.

I'd suggest some combination...a quick key stroke puts the keyboard in "patch adjust" mode, which is much like the "global" mode for performances...something that uses the front panel, but is a seperate mode. THough if it is up to the user to assign what knob groups mean what, is that stored with the patch, or as a system setting (so YOU always get to see the patch through your own perspective). The first method sounds alot like morphs, but less manual.

Hmmmmmm. Not as easy as it first looks.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think it requires a change on the G2 at all. My suggestion is just to make it convenient to assign these control to a morph group. You's have to edit any patches you'd want to use it with.
crueltwist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just discovered this thing after having had the G2 for years now (I'm not a manual reader)

if you have a graphics tablet like a wacom etc. (which I use all the time for patching - much more versatile than a mouse) you can really play with it - alas you need the patch window open so it might look a bit email check onstage but you can give the knobs a good wanking that way with great results (especially with the timbre knob - sounds positively sick!)

happy scribbling
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: