electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Sequencer - interactive
Performance sequencer (rev B)
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
monokit

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Performance sequencer (rev B)
Subject description: 1-32 step sequencer with up/down/scan/random play modes and many fun features.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A new performance sequencer with up to 32 steps. It has forward, backward, scanning and random play modes and a lot of extra features. You get 2 sequencer tracks per slot, or 4 for expanded systems. Track 1 can be accessed from the G2 hardware front panel. Track 1 is in the FX area, so a single track can be combined with a synth patch in the (poly) VA area of the same slot. MIDI CCs are assigned to the interesting knobs and buttons. The sequencer will correctly respond to MIDI start/stop messages.

AUDIO EXAMPLE
Here's an mp3 demonstrating what the sequencer can do: PerfSeq32-B1-demo.mp3
This is a G2x only recording of two sequencer tracks. I attached the performance that was used for this mp3.

FEATURES

Here's the complete feature list for each of the tracks:

- Up to 32 steps for notes and gate events.
- Per-track clock for completely unrelated track tempos.
- Playback speed (faster or slower using clock divider).
- Real-time track length from 1 to 32 steps.
- Up, down, scanning and random playback modes.
- Clock trigger skip (randomly pauses the clock).
- Rhythm sequencer: up to 32 steps to define a rhythm (phrase) pattern.
- Accent sequencer: up to 32 steps to define an accent pattern.
- 16-step sub sequencer to fill the 'gaps' in the main sequencers.
- Accumulator used to modify note values, accent, note skip probability and gate length.
- Key range and scale.
- Key transpose.
- Note skip (random based).
- Mute.
- Gate length.
- Dynamics mixer for normal, accent, accumulator and random sources.
- Front panel control (track 1 only).
- MIDI CC control.

CREDITS

The Up/Down engine is based on the engine in Rob Hordijk's HowardSequencer patch, but heavily tweaked to implement the variable track length, 1-unit resolution, and (tricky) reset mechanism. Some of the other features are inspired by the Yamaha and Sequentix (P3) hardware sequencers.

QUICK START

Start the sequencer. Define the track length (T-Length) and a key scale. Define the output of the MidiOut module. Set the key range if you want more than two octaves. Now tweak the main sequencer notes. You could randomize the sequencers beforehand. Once you have a tune going, try the other play modes. Toy with TrigSkip and/or the upper row of the Rhy/Acc sequencer to add some phrasing (timing) to your tune. Tweak the key scale to find the interesting notes. Now randomize the SubSequencer and punch some holes in the step buttons of the main sequencer(s), the holes will be substituted with notes from the sub sequencer.

USER MANUAL

Here's a description of the function of each of the colored modules, following the screen in a (somewhat) top-down, left-right order:

P-Speed
Track playback speed. Set divider to '6' for normal speed. Value 1 is very fast. Higher values slow down the track.

T-Length
This defines the track length. This can be adjusted in real-time, also for the random play mode. For example, slowly 'open' the track by changing T-Length from 2 to 16, giving the sequencer engines more room to play. Values higher than 32 are possible, and this will include a pause in the pattern.

Engine
Engine (playback mode) selection switch. Select UpDown for the Up/Down engine providing up, down and scanning modes, or select Random for the random engine.

Random
The random source for the Random engine. Lower the Step value for less extreme value jumps. Note that the random engine still supports the defined track length. Also note that the random engine doesn't generate
random notes, it just randomly scans the main sequencers, so the notes are still musical.

ManDir
Manual direction switch for the Up/Down play mode engine. If the Up/Down engine is selected, and Man/Scan is set to Man(ual), this button selects up or down playback mode.

Man/Scan
Selects either manual up/down, or automatic scanning submode for the Up/Down playback engine.

Scanner
This is the LFO used for the automatic scanning. Note that you want the shape to be an unbalanced square wave in order to get movement. Use the Rate knob for the scan speed. The rate can also be modulated with a random source to add subtle variations to the scanning behavior.

MainSeqA and B
The main sequencers, where your tune is built. These are the SeqCtr (volt sequencer) modules that allow random access, but no record of notes from the keyboard, which is too bad. I suggest you first clear or randomize the sequencer and then start tweaking. When the key scale is set to some musical value you can't go wrong. See the sub sequencer module below for how to deal with the step buttons in the main sequencer.

TrigSkip
A trigger filter placed between the clock and the sequencers. Set Prob to something lower than 100% to skip clock pulses in a random fashion. Perfect for adding some subtle (or less subtle) random phrasing to your tune.

RhyAccA and B
These two event sequencers are used to define both a rhythm (upper row) and accent pattern (lower row).

The rhythm row is a programmable trigger filter (as apposed to the random filter in the TrigSkip module). Normally you will have all step buttons enabled (blue). To insert a pause in the tune at a certain point, you simply switch off the corresponding step button. So when the main sequencer plays 'ABCD' and you clear the 4th step button, the result is "ABC D", a 5-step sequence now. Note that this is different from using the step buttons in the main sequencers (which is also possible). The real fun starts when the rhythm phrase defined here and the track length (T-Length) are of different length. Oh, and add some TrigSkip as well. Wink

The lower accent row is normally blank. To get an accent at some point, enable the corresponding step button (in the lower row). Don't forget to use the Accent pot in the Dynamics module to hear it (if your sound supports velocity tweaks).

Accum
This is the accumulator, an integer value that counts up from 0 to T-Length, or down the other way, depending on the ManDir switch. This simply is the value produced by the Up/Down engine, but optionally boosted to give it more impact as a modifier source. The accumulator value can be added to the currently generated note value, which will sound quite musical when a key scale is defined. The accumulator value can also be used as a source in the Dynamics mixer, to change the gate length, and to modify the Note Skip probability. Note that the accumulator is always available, even when the Random play engine is selected.

AccDepth
Accumulator depth. Amplifies the accumulator range. For example, when the track length is only 8 steps, boosting with a factor 4 here gives a 0-32 accumulator range.

KeyScale
Set a key range and scale here. Both very important in live situations where you want all generated notes to fall in a musical grid. No 'bad' notes this way, even when you randomize the main sequencer values. Use the range pot to compress the note range (which can be wild due to the randomizing) into e.g. a one or two octave range.

NoteSkip
This one is similar Trig skip, but instead of skipping clock triggers that feed the sequencer, this module skips triggers generated by the sequencers. So actual notes will be skipped here, removed from the pattern. Use the ON/OFF swith to mute the output while the sequence keeps running.

GateLen
Defines the gate length. The main and sub sequencers produce triggers, and this is were the triggers are converted to gate signals. Slowly increasing the gate value can be very nice, depending on the synth sound. Use high values for very slow sequences. Using too high values will stop the notes.

SubSeq
The sub sequencer, or gap sequencer. This is a 16-step sequencer that is always fully scanned in random mode. Its note values are only used where gaps (switched off step buttons) are defined in the main sequencers. This technique allows you to 'punch holes' in a normally fixed pattern, and instead have a random note played taken from the sub sequencer pool, but only when the note in the sub sequencer has it's step button switched on. So for example, when only half of the step buttons are switched on in the sub sequencer, there's a 50% probability that a gap in the main sequencer will be substituted. Switch off all step buttons to make the gaps in the main sequences real gaps, in the traditional way. This is a very nice way to have a main tune going that gives a nice tonal stability, and still have subtle variations in one or two places in the tune.

Dynamics
The dynamics mixer. This is where the velocity value is constructed for the MidiOut module. The Normal pot defines the normal note velocity. Open only this pot to get a static velocity for all generated notes. The Accent pot defines the accent level for events defined in the lower row of the Rhy/Acc sequencers. Opening only this pot will only give you the accented notes. (Nice way to start a tune maybe.) The Accum pot adds the accumulator source as a velocity modifier. And the Random pot support a random velocity level source.

MidiOut
The track's note output. Only set the Chan field to the slot or channel you want, leave the other parameters unchanged.

PerfSeq32-B1.prf2
 Description:
This is the performance used for the mp3 using two sequencer tracks and two (slightly tweaked) preset sounds.

Download
 Filename:  PerfSeq32-B1.prf2
 Filesize:  17.75 KB
 Downloaded:  1986 Time(s)

PerfSeq32-B1.pch2
 Description:
This is the official PerfSeq32-B1 patch, with two blank tracks in the FX section. The variations (including INIT) are populated with the same settings.

Download
 Filename:  PerfSeq32-B1.pch2
 Filesize:  8.96 KB
 Downloaded:  2115 Time(s)

Last edited by monokit on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:09 am; edited 4 times in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Superb. This is fantastic. You deserve the Mosc Patch of the Month Award. Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Great patch, great documentation, great mp3 demo too.

I love sequencers. I have designed them myself, see: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-9425.html

This sequencer you've put together has tought me a trick or two. Lot's of fun to play with. Very well thought out. Very musical. Splendid...

There are a few hard-wired things in this that aren't to my taste, but that can be easily customized. For example, I prefer the rhythm event sequencers to be synchronized with the main sequencers. But, I'm going to play with this one for a long time. Maybe there is a new way here that I can absorb.

I love the way you implimented the accent. Quite nice.

Where did this accumulator function come from? Is this your own idea or does one of the sequencers you mentioned have such a feature. The same question for the sub-sequencer.

This baby is amazingly flexible. You have done a great job in bringing all of the useful controls up to the front panel too.

Thanks so much for sharing this.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
monokit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Superb. This is fantastic. You deserve the Mosc Patch of the Month Award. Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Great patch, great documentation, great mp3 demo too.

Gee! Shocked Very Happy
Thanks for the flowers Mosc!

Quote:

I love sequencers. I have designed them myself, see: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-9425.html

Ah, a real analog one. Looking damn sweet. I'd say, get it fixed asap.
I love sequencers too. Nothing beats a couple of sequencers with different track lengths and timing feeding some nice mono synth sounds. Add a touch of synced delay and reverb, and I'm happy.

Quote:

There are a few hard-wired things in this that aren't to my taste, but that can be easily customized. For example, I prefer the rhythm event sequencers to be synchronized with the main sequencers. But, I'm going to play with this one for a long time. Maybe there is a new way here that I can absorb.

The rhythm sequencer was done this way because I'll do about anything to distort a boring 16-step pattern into something with its own life. Wink It chops the tune into parts that are not obvious when you program it. There's a bit of a surprise, especially when you start toying with the pattern lengths.

But the traditional pause feature is still there. Simply switch off all the step buttons in the sub sequencer, and use the step buttons in the main sequencer for phrasing, in synch with the tune.

Quote:

Where did this accumulator function come from? Is this your own idea or does one of the sequencers you mentioned have such a feature. The same question for the sub-sequencer.

Both these functions are loosely inspired by the excellent Sequentix P3 sequencer. See here: http://www.sequentix.com/index.htm. This is a VERY powerful sequencer, and extremely deep, if you want to. On the P3 the sub sequencer is actually a track (8 total) that is linked with another track using one of the many logic functions. The accumulator in the P3 is a feature of a single track. All very clever. You should read the manual. Colin used to sell kits, but iirc that will be stopped soon. But his production model looks very nice imo, and he'll continue selling those.

Quote:

This baby is amazingly flexible. You have done a great job in bringing all of the useful controls up to the front panel too.

It was quite a bit of work, but I wanted this patch to be as close to a 'real' instrument as possible, complete with CCs, front panel stuff and manual.

If interested I'll build a 4-track version of the patch for expanded systems. There should be enough CC space to control all 4 of them (except for the sequencers that is). Too bad there's only front panel space for one track. I'd love to see a feature introduced that allows me to switch the front panel knobs to different sub sections of the patch, maybe using a key combo.

I'll be building more of these, but to add more features I'll have to break the 50% memory usage, so you'll get no more than one track (or two for expanded systems) per slot. Bummer. I want more memory! Wink

I'll also be doing a 16-step and 64-step version of this architecture.

Thanks again!
Robert

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

monokit wrote:

But the traditional pause feature is still there. Simply switch off all the step buttons in the sub sequencer, and use the step buttons in the main sequencer for phrasing, in synch with the tune.

Ahhh... I didn't notice that. Thanks for pointing it out...

These things you are making are very powerful. Have you considered you can map 8 stage versions to the knobs? Then you can get more sequencers running with knob controls.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
monokit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

These things you are making are very powerful. Have you considered you can map 8 stage versions to the knobs? Then you can get more sequencers running with knob controls.

I don't think I understand Mosc. 8 Stage versions?

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow. This almost inspires a new grade of G2 patches, called "instruments" Not just the patch, but the detail to programmability & even documentation!!

Thanks very much for the great effort!!
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Colin used to sell kits, but iirc that will be stopped soon. But his production model looks very nice imo, and he'll continue selling those.

Damned Lead-free solder requirments!!!
monokit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Ah I think you understand now. You're talking about 8-step sequencers, right? So instead of the 32-step ones do 8 step ones, to get a better sequencer/front-panel ratio.

I had already planned doing a 16-step version. Splitting a 16-step sequencer into two 8-step ones... haven't thought about that yet. Don't think it's possible since it only has one output, and one control input. It' can't select two different steps at the same time.

But anyway, most of the memory use is in al the other stuff surrounding the sequencers. To make a 4-track sequencer (or 8 for expanded systems) I'll simply have to get rid of some of the fun features. Maybe I can get a 3(6) track version going.

monokit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: PerfSeq32-B2
Subject description: Minor update of B1, Global panel support and a 4-track version for expanded systems.

Here is version 2 of the 32-step, rev B sequencer.
All features mentioned above still apply.

V2 UPDATES
  • Track 2 (also in the FX area) is now mapped to the Global front panel space. Press Shift-GlobalPanel on the hardware to see the track. Press again to see track 1. This should work fine when only one slot is holding the sequencer patch.

• To have readable module names in the global panel space, some of the names were slightly compressed.

• Expanded systems can load the a version of the sequencer with 4 tracks crammed into a single slot. Tracks 3 and 4 are in the VCA area. They're not mapped to the front panel, but they do have full MIDI CC support.

• Track 2 in v1 missed one of the CC parameters (I think it was Transpose). This has been fixed here.

• All tracks except the first one are muted. To enable them click the on/off button in the note-skip (NSkip) module (near the right hand side of the screen).

I'm also working on a 16-step version of rev B to get 2 tracks (or 4 on expanded systems) on the hardware front panel.
- Robert

PerfSeq32-B2.prf2
 Description:
Version 2 of the 32-step, rev B performance sequencer. 2 tracks per slot.

Download
 Filename:  PerfSeq32-B2.prf2
 Filesize:  11.2 KB
 Downloaded:  1641 Time(s)

PerfSeq32-B2-exp.prf2
 Description:
Version 2 of the 32-step, rev B performance sequencer. 4 tracks per slot, expanded systems only.

Download
 Filename:  PerfSeq32-B2-exp.prf2
 Filesize:  19.27 KB
 Downloaded:  1721 Time(s)

monokit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: PerfSeq16-B1
Subject description: 16-step performance sequencer with up/down/scan/random play modes. 2-track and 4-track versions.

Okay, here are the 16-step versions of the rev B performance sequencer.
All of the features mentioned above apply, except:
  • The main sequencer is 1-16 steps.

• The sub sequencer is clamped down to 8 steps (due to front panel space).

• The rhythm/accent sequencer is 1-16 steps, but only 8 steps available from front panel.

• Tracks 1 and 2 available on the front panel for normal systems.

• For expanded systems, a 4-track version is available where tracks 3 and 4 are mapped to the Global panel space. So all 4 tracks are available from the hardware.

This sequencer should be MIDI CC compatible with the 32-step version.
- Robert

PerfSeq16-B1.pch2
 Description:
16 step, rev B performance sequencer. Two tracks, both mapped to front panel.

Download
 Filename:  PerfSeq16-B1.pch2
 Filesize:  7.64 KB
 Downloaded:  1576 Time(s)

PerfSeq16-B1-exp.prf2
 Description:
16-step, rev B performance sequencer. 4 tracks, all of them mapped to front panel space.

Download
 Filename:  PerfSeq16-B1-exp.prf2
 Filesize:  16.53 KB
 Downloaded:  1590 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fantastic. Thanks very much... Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

beautiful!
well done for the little manual aswell, it's really helpful!
monokit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys! Smile Smile
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

off topic, but i really like that bass/lead sound used in the mp3 demo sequence

excellent

monokit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul e. wrote:
off topic, but i really like that bass/lead sound used in the mp3 demo sequence

Can't look it up now (still have to reboot to WinCrap for the editor, I run Linux), but IIRC it's a NL3-something patch from the Clavia factory presets, bank A. I just added portamento (my all-time fav), added some pitch mod on OSC A using the pre-built modulation routes, added Rob H's Tilt filter (a no-brainer), and tweaked the reverb/delay until it sat nicely in the mix. Love that sound. Very Clavia too. Reminds me of old Ae albums. Cool

dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very nice. well done.
/Dasz
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, freaking excellent. I can't believe I missed this one before.

Thanks monokit! Very Happy
monokit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, I'm having a comeback! Shocked Wink

Thanks guys!

Robert

Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Sequencer - interactive
Jump to: