electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Bugs
G2 Engine Crashes with Roland A-70 Masterkeyboard
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sinswolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject:  G2 Engine Crashes with Roland A-70 Masterkeyboard
Subject description: while changing bank/program the midi LED is permanent
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

i'm using the clavia modular engine G2 with my Roland A-70 masterkeyboard with several other expanders (Roland JV2080, alesis qs, Kurzweil K2000). The G2 is connected in midi chain behind the alesis expander using midi channel 11 and 12. In the A-70 I've stored several setups for different songs. When I change this presets, the G2 engine hangs (the midi LED is lit permanent, a PC connected to the G2 via USB shows USB connection lost) when I use some special preset changes and must be restarted via power off/on .
I had isolated the midi commands and send them to clavia but didn't get any hints. So I have waited for the new 1.4 Version, but there are the same problems.
Is there someone with equal Setups or problems, or better, can someone help me? Idea

kind regards

Wolfgang
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't really help you I'm affraid, but I do have some sporadic problems when I control one G2 from another through MIDI. Or maybe it comes from the controlled G2 using internal MIDI sends I don't know what it is, but its sporadic and not very reproducible.

Could it be that your G2 sees a lot of MIDI data that's not meant for it (i.e. on other channels than 11 and 12), and it's choking on that ? I don't know how much trouble it would be to test that, after all you're doing Clavia's work then, maybe.

sinswolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Blue Hell,

I will try to isolate the midi commands that will result in the problem. When I get that midi commends, I will publish them here.

greetz

wolfgang
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also run lately into more and more hangs with my G2...
it seems to be related to patches...but than it works again...or just happens on patches that never made problems before...Just an idea that certain patches are more likely to hang..the last realtime sequencer i posted here was hanging often for example..but during patching i played it for hours without a hang... Only when the machinedrum is clockmaster it happens...At least i got that image...but than i had a hang without the machine drum... so i can only say that statistically it happens much more when the machinedrum is master...not enough to point to the source of the problem.
I was thinking about sending the machine in for service but cant afford that timewise in the moment...
What makes me currious is that it all started happening the day i bought the elektron machinedrum...

Are others have similar issues so that we might present it as a bug to clavia? this thread looks like that it might be the same problem.
With me the leds from the selector buttons are freezing an no sound gets out of the machine...forcing a recompile clears the situation, but i had situations where i had to do a cold start to get it working again...

I mailed clavia about it allready but the answer just was that they dont think that its a hardware problem, or see this as the least likely source of the problem, but also dont have a reproducable software situation with my problem so there was no advice what to do..
I rather would like this to be investigated before sending my G2 without good purpose all the way to sweden...

So question... HAve any other users experianced a hanging g2 ?
and what was the configuration when that happened?
I can say it only happened with the MD as clockmaster sofar...
with my G4 powerbook as clockmaster there was no hangs...
And thats a pitty beecause it grooves better with a jitterfree clock from the MD...especially because the MD soundengine is pretty late in relation to the nord..

I think this question might be moved to the main forum to get more attention to this question.. the bug forum is not so much visited..
And because of the rare nature of the problem we might dont get enough cases together to give a hint for the source of the problem.
I think it might be a well hidden bug... nothing the beta testing was able to show...but when it only happens in certain equipment combinations it is hard to find..nothing to blame clavia...but hanging on stage is nothing we want with hardware...
I need to know what is going on here.
whats about mother misty...another MD owner...
i will post in the main forum...
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
So question... HAve any other users experianced a hanging g2 ?
and what was the configuration when that happened?
I can say it only happened with the MD as clockmaster sofar...

Hi sven,

I use an MD & G2 almost everyday (MD as a masterclock)
but I've never experienced something like you describe.
(I will check the LXP5 Tout.prf2 patch you've posted,
see what that gives...)
3phase

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes please check it... i just need to leave the setup in stop mode connected to the editor for half an hour alone than it hangs on my machine.
thanks
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have not experienced hangups like 3phase describes, but do get one weird 'crash' with one performance. It is a performance in which drum sounds are triggered by an electronic drumkit via midi, but also involves a lot of audio-in mangling and processing. About once every half hour (wild guess), while playing the perf with the drumkit, it will trigger some kind of snare-burst, in which the sound is played/triggered very fast without control by our drummer. It lasts for 2 or three seconds. Than everything is back to normal. Sequencers / clicktrack runs normally throughout this 'event'.
It also happened on our first live tryout which we played a few weeks back; annoying!!
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
yes please check it... i just need to leave the setup in stop mode connected to the editor for half an hour alone than it hangs on my machine.
thanks

Hi,

I've played the performance synced to an MD for about 40 mins and I've got no hangs.
You've said "With me the leds from the selector buttons are freezing and no sound gets out of the machine"
When that happens, what happens to your MD, does it also freeze?
Are there other things you've changed since you have your MD?
Maybe your MD isn't configured right? I've noticed that you can do alot of "wrong" things
(sometimes with cool results Smile ) in the Global Edit menu of the MD.
It could be your midi-cable aswell, have you tried it with another cable?

How do you sync your MD & G2 by the way?
3phase

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was syncing the G2 with the MD as master directly... but after the troubles i changed it and have them all as slaves to Ableton Live...im just not too happy with that...maybe i try again with md as master...
weard shit...maybe its really a hardware issue..i ve a serial within the first 20... maybe the hangs only occur on older machinesß maybe there was a hardware revision inbetween...?
To bad... I am working now with the G2 for the next 2 days..hope it dont happens again... but if i might be able to post another scenario...
thanks anyway
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've had nothing but trouble syncing an engine to Ableton, with the clock jumping around plus / minus 2-3 bpm around the Ableton tempo. I've played once (last tuesday) with a MD as a clock master and slaving my engine; it worked like a charm, rock solid.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Bugs
Jump to: