electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
How do I control the Quicktime Virus?
Page 1 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: How do I control the Quicktime Virus? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I recorded that .mov of the roboride I had to install Quicktime to see what it looked like.
I should have known that would be a bad idea. Of course Quicktime started loading itself with the qttask at startup and even going into msconfig couldn't stop it. It's such an insidious virus, that it just kept coming back every time I started up.
I went to add/remove programs and there were two options, one removed quicktime and the other removed the extensions which came with it (not recommended) well the first one didn't get rid of the little bastard, so I had to wipe it out with the (not recommended) option.
Is there any way of being able to view .movs without feeling contaminated everytime you look at the start bar?
I know I'm probably more biased against Apple than most, but this kind of thing is exactly why, it makes my skin crawl.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

De-install.

then

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

VLC is free as in speech, free as in beer, it's cross platform and it opens nearly everything. You'll like it.

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks heaps Kassen,
You're a champion.
That's what I wanted, something that does what it's supposed to do without all the bullshit.
Very much appreciated.
Andrew

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The startup file that QT always downloads from the net?
Turn off "contentguide"
prefs.

That said, I have registered my QT .. so I am running QT Pro.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No sorry Stein,
The PC version of Quicktime doesn't try to download anything (well not that you can see) and it has no prefs. In fact, it has no nothing anymore cos I wiped it!! Twisted Evil
I ripped it's head off and set fire to it, and filled it full o' lead, and flushed it down the toilet etc etc. Shocked
Ha Haa!!!!! Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing (echos of maniacal laughter fade off into the distance, followed by the howl of a cold and bitter wind)

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry, I'll be serious now. Honest.
No, the thing I hated was that it loaded a QTtask into the running processes at startup. Even when you remove this from the startup list using msconfig it somehow, magically, diabolically puts itself back. I hate anything that tries to f#!% with my system.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, don't be tempted by those apples, Uncle.

Before you know it you'll start wearing clothes.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

On the mac the QT toolbox is great fun. The very player app you have had issues with is simply just a GUI player shell. The real stuff is down there in the engine compartment.
Trivia: On the mac you can add codecs on the fly. The whole QT architecture is insanely cool. Throw in a component object into /Library/Quictime and you are set.

Loinclothes are optional

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Sorry, I'll be serious now. Honest.
No, the thing I hated was that it loaded a QTtask into the running processes at startup. Even when you remove this from the startup list using msconfig it somehow, magically, diabolically puts itself back. I hate anything that tries to f#!% with my system.

Nothing like this on the mac. Well, actually .. it does the same of sorts. You are talking a headless process.. ? The QT is a toolbox on the system level of the OS. It doesn´t steal many cycles anyway. You are simply loading hooks and processes that will give apps access to the toolbox. This is actually relatively common for many types of software.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
I ripped it's head off and set fire to it, and filled it full o' lead, and flushed it down the toilet etc etc. Shocked

OK, not the parking lot and a 9mm this time then?
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

On the mac the QT toolbox is great fun. The very player app you have had issues with is simply just a GUI player shell. The real stuff is down there in the engine compartment.
Trivia: On the mac you can add codecs on the fly. The whole QT architecture is insanely cool. Throw in a component object into /Library/Quictime and you are set.

To me the point of VLC is that I don't want to add codecs. I tried that stuff for a while but I don't understand it at all, even just DIVX by itself had dozens. No pointers on where to get which one, some packages claimed to have them all but those were incompattible with other packages and none of them realy did play everything. Nor was there any real documentation. Or sensible error messages.

Now VLC just deals with everything for me. Well, except for WMV but I figure that if Microsoft doesn't feel the need to be compattible then I don't feel the need to watch that stuff.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...The mac side seems a different matter. I understand PD and Jitter and so on can talk to quicktime and do lots of cool stuff.

That's nice but if you would just want to watch a movie on Windows then Quicktime will start up SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW, then beg to be upgraded/updated and finally get round to playing the movie. If that can be turned off then I never found out how and if I can't find it then I think it+s safe to asume it's intentionally hidden.

QT is nice if you are on a mac and want to VJ but if you'd just like to watch some moving images elsewhere then it's pure hell, hardly a step above Windows Media or Real Player.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
That's nice but if you would just want to watch a movie on Windows then Quicktime will start up SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW, then beg to be upgraded/updated and finally get round to playing the movie. If that can be turned off then I never found out how and if I can't find it then I think it+s safe to asume it's intentionally hidden.

They must have a hired someone at Redmond in order to write the PC frontend to QT. Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not the cycles I'm that worried about really. It's just that something is on my system which has locked me out of being able to control it. It's that whole patronising Apple "you're too stupid to know what you need, so we'll look after everything for you" kind of attitude.
It wouldn't matter what it was capable of, if it won't let me control how it does it, then I'm afraid it's time for the 9mm!! Laughing

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jesus,
I just read what I posted, and I can't believe I'm such a control freak!! Shocked
Maybe I should get some help.
I remember something about "an apple a day keeps the doctor away"
Strange, I really like eating apples Laughing
"I talk to the trees!......
That's why they locked me away!!........"

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. if keeping those processes in rein is your main obsession.. don´t ever install Linux or UNIX. Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nah, it's cool, Uncle, I understand.
Actuially sound quite healthy to me; it's your computer, you paid for it, you get to tell it what it does.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Well.. if keeping those processes in rein is your main obsession.. don´t ever install Linux or UNIX. Laughing

Erm, you do know you are running BSD, right?

:¬p

I realy don't see much difference. With Linux it's hard to controll because it's often underdocumented, with Windows and Mac it's hard to controll because the powers that be want to keep you out of it.

Anyway, I think Uncle will be more happy with VLC then with QT. If any acute paranoia should arise the sourcecode should be there (don't ask me exactly where...).

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle, what QT did you install, the one that you needed to download and install iTunes for ?

If soo, you could have deinstalled iTunes without deinstalling QT, with that option I think its tolerable, on my PC anyway .. it still has the nag screens of course for contents that is not streamed.

(QT seems to offer the only browser extension able to stream mp3's without needing a playlist, which is pretty convenient for me, and it does so without nag screens. )

iTunes is hell tho with unneeded processes that are hard to get rid off.

brinxmat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
It's just that something is on my system which has locked me out of being able to control it.

Which is why we have the registry. All control stems from the registry; master the registry and you WILL be OMNIPOTENT and CONTROL NOT ONLY YOUR OWN FUTURE, but THE FATE OF OTHERS (and OTTERS)! Grsshppr.

Mind you, so will anyone else who has mastered the registry. Cuts both ways. I suggest you go to the registry and delete all references to *Quicktime*, *mov* and so forth. This, I am quite certain will help. When your machine refuses to boot, you will know that you have not yet achieved enlightenment.

All media players smell because they are "consumer" products, and therefore have a nasty limiting interface. Much better to open things in an Editor like Stein, more control, less biscuits and juice.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, There are two big problems with QuickTime on XP.

First, you have to install iTunes if you want QuickTime. I hate that kind oof thing too, but what can we do? Getting upset and feeling like it's presonal won't do much for us, so relax. It's really not too bad now because they have improved the installation proceedure so you can choose not to make iTunes the default app for any filetype. If you do that, it doesn't hurt anything. After you install it, you can actually delete iTunes and leave behind QuickTime player. Very Happy

The second problem is the little icon in the taskbar. I don't think it's a big deal, but if it bothers you remove it by startting up the QuickTime player. Then drill down as follows...

Edit -> Preferences -> QuickTime Preferences -> Advanced

There is a checkbox "Install Quick Time Icon In System Tray"

Make sure is is unchecked and click apply.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick Time Player has it's uses and I think it's not bad to have on a Windows machine. The best thing is to use the Quick Time Plugin with your browser, hopefully Firefox, to play mp3 and mov files. They will play instantly without waiting for the entire file to download. You can get other programs to do this too, but QuickTime integrates very nicely into the browsers. In fact, I haven't found anything better, or even as good.

There is not problem using the QT Plugin and also using other media players. I have several loaded on my XP machine. I haven't tried the one Kassen suggests - I will certainly do that. You will need Winamp if you want to do any live streaming for electro-music.com events in the future. I very much like the Quintessential Player. It's really nice. http://www.quinnware.com/ - free - Winamp plugin compatible. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
brinxmat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

QTWin sans iTunes?

(On the QTWin downloads page; and no, it doesn't exactly jump out at you: just says "QuickTime Standalone Installer".)
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

brinxmat wrote:
QTWin sans iTunes?

(On the QTWin downloads page; and no, it doesn't exactly jump out at you: just says "QuickTime Standalone Installer".)

This one?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, that like for a few months was removed - believe me I looked for it. Thanks for posting it.

Since this is mostly about Windows issues with QT, I'm going to move this topic from Schmooze to Windows...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perhaps a bit late, but I find it remarkable that Apple is now refering to "pentium or compattible" instead of to "IBM-compattible" or even "x86".

Mind you; I never understood the way Apple people refered to IBM-compattibles at all; if I were Apple I'd avoid the PC word like the plague because it implies (probably correctly, considdering the amount of people that build their own) that it's more "personal".

Page 1 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Jump to: