electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
How do I control the Quicktime Virus?
Page 2 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's a big ad campaign here in the US by Apple talking about "how until now the Intel chip has just been in boring PCs. Think of what can happen now that it is in a Mac."

Who cares about all the servers in the world - 95% run on Intel chips and on that 75% run Linux.

Oh, well, computer ads always seem stupid. Still, I like the ads for the Gateway Convertable

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A friend of mine has a laptop that works like that. The schreen flips over and you can use it as a tablet, write on it, scetch, etc. Seems exciting to me, if that's your thing.

Perhaps the new macs will be more exciting then that? I dunno, it's all stupid. If I want excitement I've got game consoles. Computers should just be doing their task, do it quickly and do it stabily as well as efficient. If the new Mac's can manage that I might get one. My bet is that it will simply be more design covering up for incompatibility.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouldn't speculate what the new Macs will do, but I can say that a tablet PC is quite useful for taking notes at classes or at meetings. I'm sure that it will be useful as a musical controller too. Maybe someone already has some software to do this. In the area of tablet PCs, I think Microsoft has a big lead there now. Too bad Apple dropped the Newton, but they have the UI chops to make an attractive tablet PC if they wanted to enter that market. Windows runs on many platforms from tiny hand-helds up through huge multi-processor servers.

Audio performance on Windows is better than on OSX too. I discussed this with a designer who works for Digidesign. He his a Mac user, so I believe him.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Audio performance on Windows is better than on OSX too. I discussed this with a designer who works for Digidesign. He his a Mac user, so I believe him.

if he works for Digidesign..he must be right ! Shocked

hehe ...who knows...i guess there must be some benchmarks somewhere...prefer that to an anecdote
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
He his a Mac user.

is there a 'typo/grammar/miscellaneous errata checker' ? Very Happy
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul e. wrote:

hehe ...who knows...i guess there must be some benchmarks somewhere...prefer that to an anecdote

I'd like to see some too but if there are none then word of moth will have to do for now.

Soon enough the playing field will be level and we'll see what OS gives the best audio performance. I'm becoming quite curious.

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
word of moth

Last edited by seraph on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Seraph, I've seen similar catterpillars here in Australia. They eat eucalyptus leaves. Sometimes they go "on the march" and you'll get an enormous rope of them winding down a tree and moving across the ground and up into a new tree. Each one is like 10cm by 2cm and the rope can be 8cm thick. It's an amazing and scary thing to see.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
It's an amazing and scary thing to see.

you are right, I changed picture, it wasn't a moth but a caterpillar Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Uncle Krunkus wrote:
It's an amazing and scary thing to see.

you are right, I changed picture, it wasn't a moth but a caterpillar Shocked

That will teach you to make fun of others!

I think it's a disgrace, first you name yourself after a angel, then you start making fun of those less fortunate in the spelling department, hmmm? Think you're mr. Perfect, don't you? Hmmm?

:¬p

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

I've heard the same. A friend of mine is a Protools HD dealer. He attends the Protools courses at Pinewood and all of that, so he's pretty serious about it. He's a mac user, and so are all his customers with no exceptions. The word was that it "works better" on XP. I helped him look for a PC system to use with PT (sell) - there are only a few systems that are Digidesign approved and they're not cheap. Seemingly nobody want to use XP for PT anyway...

DJ
--
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:

That will teach you to make fun of others!

oh come on Kassen, spell checker is for everyone Very Happy
as Howard says: Be kind; please use the spell checker.

Quote:
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, but the SpellCheck won't help you if spell the wrong word correctly.
"Moth" is a perfectly fine word....

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Yes, but the SpellCheck won't help you if spell the wrong word correctly.
"Moth" is a perfectly fine word....

that's true Very Happy

Quote:
DrJustice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's one solution to the OT: Quicktime Alternative. Works with all windows versions (the Apple one no longer supports Win98).

DJ
--
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried the QT Alternative program when I was having QT pluggin problems. This problem was on both the XP and OSX machines I have. See http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-11019.html

Oddly, the QT Alternative has exactly the same sonic qualities and problems as the latest version of QT. I ended up using an old version of QT, version 6.0.0. That one behaves much better than the latest version 7.something.

DrJustice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It works fine on this Windows 98 machine. I'll try it on my XP boxes as well and report back to this thread. Apple no longer has old QT versions available for download, or at least I found none (I guess only Apple is allowed to distribute it(?)).

DJ
--
DrJustice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right - the Quicktime Alternative works a treat on both Windows 98 and XP, both for playback through Windows Media Player and for QT embedded in webpages.

(Edit: this is my posting number 355 - that's real number magic, Ferrari 355 you see... Very Happy)

DJ
--
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you Google Quicktime 6.0 you'll find a few places. I don't want to post it here for obvious reasons.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
(Edit: this is my posting number 355 - that's real number magic, Ferrari 355 you see... Very Happy)

DJ
--

How many do you own? Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DrJustice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mosc, no problem - I'll go for the Quicktime Alternative from now on anyway.

Elektro80, none as of yet I'm afraid, but I've got my eyes set on one (yes I'm a sports car idiot...).

DJ
--
Macaba

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have fun!

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Razz )

On-Topic: QT Alternative has always been my weapon of choice.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to have a sample of that happening! Laughing
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ouch... somebody probably left for the eternal jam session in that one Shocked
Well, anyway... vrooom.

DJ
--
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

--sigh-- the bad thing about expensive toys is that they are expensive --sigh---
Page 2 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Jump to: