electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition » lofi
Tracker Software
Page 2 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FLechdrop wrote:
http://www.modplug.com

This tracker has a rather more Windows-like style, which makes it somewhat easier for me to get the hang of things.

This is the first tracker I used. It made learning how to use a tracker easy!
Static Strobe Emitter

Audio files: 243

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Hehehe. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im one of those poor guys who cant work in "Window Like" environments.
I once downloaded MadTracker and sat with it for 2 minutes and
the last thing i remember thinking before I pressed the Exit button
was "This looks more like Microsoft Word than a tracker"

:X
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
opg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes. Trackers are for us young, motivated business professionals. Smile Want me to give you the most used notes for my 4-minute song at 140 bpm? Let me just pull up the tracker and enter the formula. I'll then copy the data into Excel and create a 3D pie chart. Razz Laughing
Static Strobe Emitter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: aRrgghhh!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

I rather sit with my first created AMOS Basic tracker (I think i named it Das Mjuuusich!!" which
used the "Bell / Noise" commands to produce sounds !

it did have a save/load function though =o
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
opg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: aRrgghhh!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Static Strobe Emitter wrote:
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

I rather sit with my first created AMOS Basic tracker (I think i named it Das Mjuuusich!!" which
used the "Bell / Noise" commands to produce sounds !

it did have a save/load function though =o

Hey, where can I get that?
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, fooled around with Milky last night but it seems that you can't write notes while the music is running. Is htat true?
opg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Ok, fooled around with Milky last night but it seems that you can't write notes while the music is running. Is htat true?

That sounds about right. I haven't tried Milky or any of the newest trackers, but that's been my experience. I can see how that would annoy a lot of people who are used to knob-tweaking or playing along with the tune. Imagine a tracker as like drawing a picture on the computer one pixel at a time (but being able to cut/copy/paste large chunks as well). You can come up with really detailed, complex stuff, but it can be really tedious. Of course, there are many trackers that support VST effects plugins.

What about VST instruments? Hmmm....
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Erm, yes, erm....

But if you are building a image pixel by pixel you probably aren't doing that with your monitor turned off, I'm realy not so sure about this. Does renoize support inputting data while the track runs?

Static Strobe Emitter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: hey :/ Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

milky does support recording notes while having "Rec" button pressed..

....atleast in my version....however, I never use it :X

i never even use the play function on Sequencers, i always
click out each stuff with the mouse buttons Very HappyD
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmmm. Perhaps I'm missing something. I should spend more time with it.
opg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMO, I wouldn't use trackers that can handle HQ audio and big VST plug-ins. The older PC trackers, as well as the Gameboy and C64 trackers have their own sound, obviously - but I like the way they handle WAV files and how "glitchy" the Attack and Release of the notes are. It's more of a retro thing for me, as always.....
Static Strobe Emitter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Tracker elites! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just have to post this legendary track made by Dreamer.
The track itself is kinda simple hardcorish. you have to look
at the "code" while playing this track to understand how wonderfully
handcrafted it really is.

Just take the part when one track is going forward and
another one is going backwards at the same time.
this IS impossible to actually create, but thanks to smart
pattern and position jumping he makes it look like it
actually does.

truly amazing. Ill provide both a video capture of the song while playing it,
and the original file for the trackers to download. enjoy tracking insanity :X

Most players will crash or behave strangely when playing this module,
so be sure to run it through an complete FT2 compatible player/tracker.

Original Module
http://jaedernaub.ath.cx/blackqueen.zip

Video Capture (DivX 6.0)
http://jaedernaub.ath.cx/black.zip
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WOW!

F*** me, that's crazy!

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is amazing. I don't understand it, but it is amazing. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was checking this out today: Aodix by Arguru (the same guy that made all those great generators and effects for Buzz in 1999/2000)

First truly revolutionary tracker I've seen since Buzz. The whole program is nothing but the most optimized, pure VST host and sequencer I've ever seen, all packaged into a completely reoworked tracker environment. It's so clean and optimised it's the only VST host I've ever used that allows me to set my latency to the lowest my card will go glitch free. There's no inbuilt sampling, the whole thing is a tracker based sequencer for a modular VST host.

It's basically a tickless tracker - there is a grid, but you can move notes around in time freely (or quantize them if you wish), zoom in and out, have multiple notes on the same beat etc. You can also trigger notes from different vst instruments on the same channel (using different note parameters), automate synths/effect effortlessly etc.

Best of all, running behind it all is a truly modular VST host. Clearly displayed are the inputs and outputs (including midi) when you add an instrument/effect, so not only can you route anything to anything else, you can also route more than one object to the same input ala Buzz (complete with gain controls on the "cables").

And then you've got the system for arranging patterns which I won't bother trying to explain. Amazing stuff, makes me question my purchase of Cubase SL3 a couple of months ago (only just Wink)
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reporting back.

After I got fed up with Milky for not looping while I was writing in a way I could understand I installed Renoise. Renoixse works for me, in fact I was up and tracking within a few hours, then wrote silly stuff in it untill dawn, slept for a few hours and went back.

I think I'll get a registration soon.

Static Strobe Emitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Tracker Tutorials!
Subject description: Weehaa!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For the none-trackers who wish to see how a tracker-guy works,
you can download Tracker tutorial videos now at http://www.milkytracker.net/download.html
=D *made by strobe ofcourse*.

the "Milky Usage" video is made by Kmuland, "Sine Crafting" is Rainas work, the rest is me, and is mostly covering chip basics Wink
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool, Strobe!

After my brief run in with trackers I switched to making my own sequencer in ChucK but I stole a lot of the bits of how trackers work for that. I'll be sure to check your tutorials hoping for more stuff to steal!

I mean... get inspirered by, of cource.

:¬)

kruhft

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: cheesetracker Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The tracker I use on Linux is CheeseTracker from redux. It's pretty slick, the engine is nice, supports (in a bit of an odd sort of interface) chaining LADSPA plugins on instruments, has a sample editor, loads XI's/WAVs.... Basically every tracker I could find, and this one was the one that stuck and I've written quite a few songs with it. You can grab it from here, or see if it's in your distro already:

http://www.reduz.com.ar/cheesetronic/

http://freshmeat.net/projects/cheesetracker/

majutsu

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
you guys will have to explain to me what is the advantage of using a tracker versus a sequencer because I don't get it, maybe I am simply too old for this **** Wink

actually, you got it backwards, seraph. you are too YOUNG for this. trackers are the oldest form of computer music tools, the very first ever. There were the first tools ever for the most primitive and earliest computers. c-64, amiga etc only had trackers. and before any of us had a desktop they were the only way of having music for games when games were played on big monsters in the late 60s early 70s. Essentially the very first adaption of hardware samplers for the early computer were called trackers. synthesis, max, the early music programming languages at IBM all required more computer power to be developed. True trackers are nothing but computer based samplers. They hold nostalgic value for those of us with roots in the beginning of computer music. Rap in the early 70s, gflash, krs, etc were all sampler acts. Lofi 8bit sampling takes you back to the beginning of it all.

i love it. i love the revival. guys like venetian snares (who used octamed and amiga trackers ONLY on his earliest and BEST albums) show what can be done with this still untapped art form.

p.s. on linux i think milkytracker - a perfect clone of the old ft2 -- is the best. i like soundtracker, but the sound is not like a real old tracker. milky delivers that retro, clean chip sound to my ears.

Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Never noticed this "Lofi" section before on the EM forum, because I thought it was about toys and bended things.
To my surprise there are also things about tracker modules here.
Reading the conversation I notice that tracking is seen as something nostalgic made with low quality samples.
This has been the past, but things have been changed.
I started with FT II some 20 years ago and when windoze came, I soon switched to ModPlug Tracker.
The author stopped the work, but offered the source, so since then an open source variant has been developed by others.

The present ModPlug is a very powerful tool to compose with.
8-bit 8 kHz samples are still possible of course, but it can also handle a 16-bit 44kHz stereo WAV of 3 minutes..
It can be a host for VST(i) plugins as well.

More info can be found here

A few examples of recent pieces (OGG format) :
No Odds - 5:19
Scattered Flow - 4:52

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the update about trackers. I like your tracks. Tracker music has a very nice quality to it that I like. I would like to learn how to use them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As mentioned here before, one has to learn it indeed. But the reward is a very detailed control over sound and composition.
There's the ModPlug Wiki.
And recently, one of the members of the MP forum is working on an offline manual, still beta.

Since the introduction of the VST plugins a new generation of trackers has come, the number of people using samples only is decreased.
If one wants to start tracking, then it's probably a choice one has to make.
Plugins or samples, both with their own specific techniques, although the notations in the score are mainly the same.

Last edited by Sam_Zen on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobody

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

majutsu wrote:

p.s. on linux i think milkytracker - a perfect clone of the old ft2 -- is the best. i like soundtracker, but the sound is not like a real old tracker. milky delivers that retro, clean chip sound to my ears.

I found milky and soundtracker in Portage on Gentoo. I'm going to try those out!
Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A nice database by Jikoo about trackers for all kinds of platform can be found here - also about Chiptunes

If one has to learn about making tracker modules, it's very useful to d'load existing pieces to see how it's done, with the codes etcetera :

A huge collection with all kinds of formats can be found at Modland
My own collection of 'oldskool' modules (XM or MOD) by others can be found here.

Besides the editors, it's nice to have a versatile player of the module formats on its own.
Windoze : XMPlay - Mac : XimpleMOD

Page 2 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition » lofi
Jump to: