electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Stockhausen Serves Imperialism!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Stockhausen Serves Imperialism!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EEEEeeeeeeeeeek

Shocked Shocked Shocked

__ U B U W E B __
http://ubu.com

UbuWeb is pleased to announce the reprint of Cornelius Cardew's, "Stockhausen Serves
Imperialism and other articles" (1974) The highly controversial collected Marxist
writings of British avant-garde composer Cornelius Cardew (1936-1981). Cardew, a one-time
assistant to Karlheinz Stockhausen and founder of The Scrach Orchestra, gradually moved
away from John Cage-inspired works toward radical Marxism. Long out of print,
"Stockhausen Serves Imperialism" contains "A History of the Scratch Orchestra" by Rod
Eley; "John Cage: Ghost or Monster?" by John Tilbury; and the following by Cardew:
"Stockhausen Serves Imperialism," "On Criticism," "A Critical Concert,"Self-Criticism:
Repudiation of Earlier Works," "Problems of Notation," and "Criticism of The Great
Learning."

Direct link: http://www.ubu.com/historical/cardew/cardew.html

__ U B U W E B __
http://ubu.com

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to say that I have that book, it's a great piece of crap
(I bought it when I was younger and "stupider", if you know what I mean)

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have read it... years ago. I had all forgotten about it, until I saw it over at UBU. Crap.. yeah.. in retrospect the lot is pretty entertaining. But still... there are some high strung radical academics who are very much into this kind of mental S&M.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I understand this from personal experience. I used to have a weekly radio program called Thin Aire on KPFA in Berkeley, California. This was between 1971 and 1978, approximately. I used to play new music on records and on tape. I'd interview composers and even broadcast live performances from the KPFA studio, or recorded in my garage at home.

Anyway, one day I hear from friends at the station that there is an emergency meeting to discuss complaints from some radical femenists who demanded my program be dropped from the air. They apparently made the argument that electronic music was sexist, anti-gay and racist because all the composers were straight white males, and elitist because the music is made on expensive equipment only available to academics or corporate scientists.

I was pressured by friends not to come to the meeting, I think partly because they suspected I'd blow up and loose my temper and thus ruin any chances I had of keeping my show. Also, they didn't want this to focus on me, but on the show and the music. Instead, many composers who were previously featured on my program showed up, including a few women including, I think, Beth Andersen and Maggi Payne. They came to take up my defense. A bunch of gay friends also showed up, I'm told.

I heard the meeting was quite an event; very animated. Everyone said my not coming was the right move. The forces of good prevailed and the show was kept on the air. I was never informed through "official" channels that this whole thing ever happened

I have fond memories of this program. I'll share some here on the forum from time to time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

interesting story, mosc
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I understand this from personal experience. I used to have a weekly radio program called Thin Aire on KPFA in Berkeley, California. This was between 1971 and 1978, approximately.

I have fond memories of this program. I'll share some here on the forum from time to time.

Would you happen to have any surviving archives of said show? That would be a most intriguing thing to have available.

Cyx

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, we could threaten to make it public if Howard doesn't do what we say.
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course! We have our own Stephen Hill here. I mean, what gives? Twisted Evil

Cyx

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cyxeris wrote:
Would you happen to have any surviving archives of said show? That would be a most intriguing thing to have available.

I have a few copies of air check from those shows. Some might be pretty interesting. Going through those tapes would be a chore.

In the early 70s, someone issued an LP called something like Sounds of the Humpback Whales. I played it on my show. Then, I got a call from some guys saying they were part of a new group trying to stop whale killings. They had just returned from a trip where they played flutes to the whales through amplifiers and underwater loudspeakers. I invited them to appear and I interviewed them. The new organization was GreenPeace. My show was their first media exposure, and mine was their first interview. They told of going out and intercepting Russian whale ships with a couple of Zodiacs. I don't have an air check of this show as far as I know. At the time it didn't seem all that significant.

Of course, GreenPeace got a lot bigger than me in the subsequent years.

Last edited by mosc on Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

playing flutes to whales.....what a HUGE audience Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard, amazing story! ( trivia: Actually.. I did use the very same recording for a piece of music in the early 80s. )

Flutes for whales! Right! A demon plan!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: