electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Audio In
Elastic Audio, Part 2: Polyphonic Granular Synthesizer
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject:  Elastic Audio, Part 2: Polyphonic Granular Synthesizer
Subject description: capture audio, play it tonally over the keyboard, modify pitch and speed independently...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like the title says. I reworked the engine, optimized a few things and moved it to the voice area. Because...

Now playback speed, pitch, and grain rate can track the keyboard, and can be played polyphonically. Yes sir! Cool

As before -the time and pitch domain can be treated individually. (Pitch stick for time travelling, modwheel for time scrubbing, new: keyboard for pitch.) The sample can either be retriggered with each keystroke or be freerunning (good for ambient drones). There's a filter with envelope follower after the granular oscillator aswell. (Plus a tuning reference oscillator to get that weird ambient drone in tune...)

I threw in a FX section too, with NL3-type unisono, delay and reverb.

...elastic audio, ethereal granul-ambient pads that morph into weird noise at the tweak of a knob, blah blah ... it's all there for you. Who said only Reaktor could do this kind of stuff? Wink

The variations are filled. I used a capture of my voice when making them. But use whatever....

Unfortunately, this is a real DSP hog. 7 voices expanded, 3 voices unexpanded. Sorry... Rolling Eyes Wink

Boy, this was some work...

Enjoy,
tim

PS: There's a bug in that sometimes not all voices capture the sample. It's weird and I can't figure out what causes it. If this happens to you, just reload the patch. That helps. There's also another "bug", in that the sample start position slowly drifts out of whack (within many minutes). I spent hours calibrating this, but couldn't eliminate it completely. Seems to be a limit of speed resolution on the LFOs. Sorry about that.

Edit note: Two improved versions below in the thread.

PolyGranuSynthTK.pch2
 Description:
polyphonic granular synthesizer

Download
 Filename:  PolyGranuSynthTK.pch2
 Filesize:  7.03 KB
 Downloaded:  2418 Time(s)

Last edited by Tim Kleinert on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Superb, Tim. This is loads of fun to play with. Outstanding... Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Axiom

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent. Smile I've played around with it using only my G2X gooseneck mic to capture my whistles, blow, voice and so on.

This is the result:
Tim's polygranular demo (~8Mb)

Cheers,
Luca

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great patch and a nice demo !
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject:  Updated version with clock jitter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's an updated version. I reworked the grain driver core in order to add grain clock jitter. There were situations where I missed it, as it is nice to mask high clock rates.

I'm getting the most weird, otherworldly ambient pads with this patch. Stuff I've never heard from a G2 before. Cool

PolyGranuSyn2_TK.pch2
 Description:
reworked to include clock jitter parameter

Download
 Filename:  PolyGranuSyn2_TK.pch2
 Filesize:  7.28 KB
 Downloaded:  1938 Time(s)

Axiom

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I envy you Very Happy Every time i make a new step in learning things on G2 (look at my DIY things, as example) there are someone that goes lightyears from me. All of that is very inspiring to me Smile

I will make a new demo mp3 soon.

Luca

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Updated version with clock jitter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:

I'm getting the most weird, otherworldly ambient pads with this patch. Stuff I've never heard from a G2 before. Cool

Tim- could you send a screenshot of both patches? The demo won't load this patch Sad

I'd very much like to see how you've patched it Smile

Tom
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey v-un-v: when you download the normal editor & install on your computer, you can 'load' any patch or performance; you just can't hear it. No real G2 needed for that.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

... and .. using the "real" editor you can remove the offending modules .. talking about pet peeve thingies ...
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject:  Final version
Subject description: with loopable envelopes for pitch, position and grain clock rate
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Axiom wrote:
I envy you Very Happy Every time i make a new step in learning things on G2 (look at my DIY things, as example) there are someone that goes lightyears from me. All of that is very inspiring to me

Oh gee, please, no envy. I'm just a weird guy who patches weird noises. Wink Laughing

v-un-v wrote:
The demo won't load this patch. I'd very much like to see how you've patched it.

It won't work on the demo, as the demo doesn't have audio-in modules. Of course, one can also capture from other slots. But the demo ain't got no other slots either. Sorry. Check it out on the G2 editor.

Anyway -here's one more version. The last one of these, I promise. Wink

When noodling away on it this afternoon, I noticed all the fun stuff that happens when manually twiddling around on clock rate, pitch etc. simultaneously. So I squeezed the last bit of DSP resources and included loopable envelopes for sample pitch, grain clock rate and sample position. Now it can get really sick.

I kicked out the vibrato (as that can be taken care of now with the loopable pitch env) and the filter env follower, as this doesn't belong in a "pure granular synthesis patch". There's plenty enough other movement going on with the loop envs now. Cool

At high clockrates (and sloooow time movement), sweeping the sample pitch gives an eerie osc-sync like sound... weird Confused ... Laughing

Well, here it is. Only two variations. No.1 is a default patch and No2. is a weird warble. I felt it's pointless to do variations when you don't know what the base sample will be. Wink.

best,
tim

PolyGranuSyn3_TK.pch2
 Description:
final version with loopable envs for sample pitch, time position and grain clock rate

Download
 Filename:  PolyGranuSyn3_TK.pch2
 Filesize:  7.73 KB
 Downloaded:  2166 Time(s)

Last edited by Tim Kleinert on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This last one is GREAT. If someone made a hardware version of this it would become an instant classic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fozzie wrote:
Hey v-un-v: when you download the normal editor & install on your computer, you can 'load' any patch or performance; you just can't hear it. No real G2 needed for that.

Embarassed yeah- cheers Fozzie. Since I've started my degree (which coincided exactly at the same time of the birth of my baby daughter Florence)- my memory has turned to jelly Shocked

But you're absolutely right! Very Happy

Tom :0)
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim

RESPECT!

Great looking patch! Shame I only have a G1 Sad

I think this will become a classic patch (and hopefully make Clavia see the light and give us sample storage Very Happy )

OTOH, it encourages improvisation- which is very cool indeed Smile

Tom
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Absolutely amazing. Finally, real granular synthesis on the G2, the sort where you can make playable instruments. I will be using this patch for months/years to come.

Thank you Tim!! Very Happy
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the props, folks. Great that you can use it.

I just re-uploaded the third version (above), there were some minor UI mistakes and a forgotten env trigger. Sorry. You might want to download it again.

Dunno how I came up with this. Granular synthesis has never interested me much -up to now. I'm very impressed by the organic touch especially of ambient drones I can get with this synthesis approach. And of course the weird stuff Wink

And actually, the vile trickery with the multitap delay and the readout LFO was the most fun part. If I had had a "sample" module with dynamic memory access, it wouldn't have been half as fun. I like stretching the boundaries of what is possible on an instrument.

Anyway, enough for today

best to you all,
tim

Last edited by Tim Kleinert on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:
Absolutely amazing. Finally, real granular synthesis on the G2, the sort where you can make playable instruments. I will be using this patch for months/years to come.

Thank you Tim!! Very Happy

You're welcome. Smile I just want to warn you: I mentioned it above. The sample start point drifts somewhat over longer periods of time. I can't help that, I spent hours trying to lock the readout LFO precisely to the delay line -doesn't work. Just that you know.

Come to think of it -the FX section still could do with some goodies. Some static filters or EQs, maybe the typical flange/phase chore... I might knock that up some day...

Last edited by Tim Kleinert on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:
I just want to warn you: I mentioned it above. The sample start point drifts somewhat over longer periods of time. I can't help that, I spent hours trying to lock the readout LFO precisely to the delay line -doesn't work. Just that you know.

Come to think of it -the FX section still could do with some goodies. Some static filters or EQs, maybe the typical flange/phase chore... I might knock that up some day...

Why not suggest it to Clavia for a future update?!
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Something like a delay line with a read pointer output... yeah.

But then they might as well make a volatile sample module. A gate input for recording, a blue/red input readout pointer, a dropdown menu for sample length (analogous to the delay line lenghts) -presto.

But I know they won't do it.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the trick is not to ask for too much. Just choose a couple of mods which would have maximum results?

But then if its really worth doing then just badger them Smile

I think there has been a G2 suggestion thread somewhere?

We all had our wishes answered when the list was at code404.

You could get Rob Hordjik on the case Very Happy

Maybe on the other hand- this quirk would add to organic-ness of the sound- or then again not. Don't know- can't hear it Sad
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:

The sample start point drifts somewhat

Did you try setting the delay line to two seconds ? the LFO speeds seem to match better with that.

Spandex

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
But then they might as well make a volatile sample module. A gate input for recording, a blue/red input readout pointer, a dropdown menu for sample length (analogous to the delay line lenghts) -presto.

I have a feeling you're right.. tho god knows why.. it would make the G2 into the PERFECT SYNTH Smile

3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

Something like a delay line with a read pointer output... yeah.

Cool patch... havent got thru yet what is going on there but it works Smile
The wish for somekind of adressable delaylines/ ram was made before...
i think when enough patches and demand for such modules show up there might be a possibility.
I think clavia will bring some new modules at one point.
exept some infrastructure issues and the sequencer side the instrument is quite complete...
maybe a better switch module.. beside that i see the ram area as quite develop able..even when we have a lot of modules there they dont do so much different things...
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:
You're welcome. Smile I just want to warn you: I mentioned it above. The sample start point drifts somewhat over longer periods of time. I can't help that, I spent hours trying to lock the readout LFO precisely to the delay line -doesn't work. Just that you know.

That's fine - I'd definitely refrain from using it live (unless random weird vocals were what I required!). When using it in the studio, I'd be more likely to record it straight in than sequence it in any case. If anything happens, like I add a module or delete a wire without thinking, I'll lose the sample in the delay line... Much better to record anything that sounds cool asap than midi it and wait for disaster. If the sample start time moves before I get a chance to record it, move the mod wheel! Easy!
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
tim wrote:

The sample start point drifts somewhat

Did you try setting the delay line to two seconds ? the LFO speeds seem to match better with that.

The problem with using delays in clock mode is that the multitap outputs also become quantized rhythmic fractionals and cannot be smoothly swept, which makes them unusable for this application.

Anyway -I once made a clock-synced capturing patch that used delays in clock mode, and they drift too. Confused
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:
The problem with using delays in clock mode

Hmm, I didn't use the word clock ...

I was thinking to set the LFO's to 30 BPM and the delay line to two seconds, not in bpm mode. Anyway, that's what I did yesterday but didn't check it for drift yet.

Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Audio In
Jump to: