electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Advice for new micro user
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Gothboy

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Advice for new micro user Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was wondering if any modular users out there could give me advice on starting out on the Micro. I've been going through the manual....reading it cover to cover like I usually do with manuals of new gear.....but after 3 hours of trying to make a second patch and then not getting ANY sound out of it I thought I'd ask. I can see how complicated this system is to the new user. I tried using a downloaded patch I liked as a blueprint because it had the elements I eventually would like to get from my patches. I'm familiar with the Nord Lead 2.....I can usually get a patch programmed that I like and have never used a preset patch in it. I understand what LFOs are and how filters work......but it's the patching, with all the variations and possibilities that boggle. Should I just start out with a few modules and work up? What I love are those patches that have slave LFO's doing different things and sequenced ping-ponging stuff. In other words.....not bass patches, I've got loads of those! Any advice would be great.
Novation SL49/Remote Zero
Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Dymaxion Vehicle Music at www.dymaxionvehicle.com/
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The first tutorial on http://www.clavia.se/nordmodular/Modularzone/index.html should get you going - at least for having sound. After that there are plenty more tutorials there :-)

Or did you see that page already ?

davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you're stuck and can't figure out what's wrong with a patch, you could attach it to a post and send it here so others can take a look. One of the best things about the Nord Modulars is the ability to easily pass patches back & forth among users as email attachments or forum post attachments to fix problems or work on ideas.

DP

dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, try a few module at first. an oscillator and envelope and audio out. work your way from that. that is what i did at first.

/Dasz
Gothboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the tutorials. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time on those! Thanks for the advice too......Dave, I think I'd be too embarrassed to post any more patches at this point!
Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you can't get a sound out, then you need to disconnect the output and connect cords different places in the patch so you can hear what is going on. This is sort of an auditory test instrument.

Putting down an output module first is a good way to go. Then start hooking stuff up and listening to it as it grows.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gothboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah....that's what I'm doing. I'm doing all the Clavia tutorials and learning about the modules instead of worrying about what the cabling does to start. In doing the tutorials though, I'm inadvertently finding out about the cables by experimentation......patching here and there and seeing and listening for the result. At first it was a bit confusing if I tried to figure out what all the cables were doing but it slowly IS making sense.
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: