electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Using midi controllers with Hard Synths
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Gothboy

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Using midi controllers with Hard Synths Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At some point I need to buy a midi controller and finally break into using soft synths. Presuming I'll be using a USB controller, I'd also like to use it with a few hardware synths like my Nord Micromodular and Yamaha sampler that have no keyboard. I'll still be using OMS and Mac OS 9.2.2. So how can I say, play on the controller to record some midi notes, have it routed to a hardware synth and the sound played back through THAT synth. In other words, can I use PT to select which hardware synth the controller is sending midi to via USB? I know how the midi routing works....just not with a midi controller. Confused
Also, do these midi controllers need a lot of USB power? Do they need to have their own native USB port or can they be used with a hub or even plugged into the input on a Mac keyboard?

Novation SL49/Remote Zero
Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Dymaxion Vehicle Music at www.dymaxionvehicle.com/
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

first of all if you want to connect your master keyboard to a hardware synth/sampler you will be doing it through midi and not USB, unless your hardware is USB equipped. maybe you will need a midi thru box to be able to connect your controller to your synths/samplers directly.
if you want to connect your master keyboard to your mac and your mac to your synths you will need a USB/midi interface, then, depending on the interface you choose, you will be able to select which synth will receive the notes you play.
it's not all but it's a start Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MIDI controlers that parasyte of USB for power may need a fair amount of power yes. This is because voltage for small boxes (splitters, mergers, etc) to parasyte off is also a part off the MIDI standard and so theorettically that might get passed on to USB which in turn could drain your laptop. The chips inside of any USB generation keyboard themselves should not take that much power.

Still; if at all possible I would give a MIDI box it's own port, preferably not just a seperate plug but a whole bus. This is because sharing a line will lead to jitter, to latency and so on. I know it shouldn't; USB is fairly fast and MIDI only takes a small bit of bandwith but it does.

You might be able to get way with using that keyboard plug because it's quite unlikely that you'll want to type while also playing keybaord but as a rule of thumb I'd reserve a whole bus for MIDI, adding expansions to the computer if nesicary.

Gothboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the reply guys but I failed to mention I have a midi interface and all that, an 8 port Midisport usb interface. That part I understand. What I've been told is that a USB controller wouldn't be using a midi cable to play parts on the micro.....it would be using USB to send note on messages to the synth, which then in turn sends midi back to the miditrack in PT....is that a better explanation?
Novation SL49/Remote Zero
Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Dymaxion Vehicle Music at www.dymaxionvehicle.com/
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can't control the micro by USB, as it has no USB input. The 'usual' way is to connect the USB keyboard to the computer, which can then be made to send out MIDI to control the micro.
paul e.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i could be wrong, but the USB controllers usually also have standard midi outs..? i know the Oxygen 8 does have both
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Jump to: