electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Sony CD protection scare
Page 2 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, at least don´t buy any more Sony gear.. you hear!

Anyways, I am now boycotting Sony. Anyone else?

I guess I should mention I am the one who is responsible for all the computer gear at work. It is impossible to trust a company like Sony. This means there will be no more Sony gear at work.

Any of you guys seen a list of the actual releases using the rootkit hack? I gotta prevent anyone from trying to run the installer on any of the PCs at work ( yes.. we do have 4 PCs there still ).
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Well, at least don´t buy any more Sony gear.. you hear!

Anyways, I am now boycotting Sony. Anyone else? .

I am. But I had made that decision after getting burned by the inadequate software bundled with the DVD drive. And that was just the straw that broke the camel’s back. Their insistence on proprietary accessories for every thing they make was starting to piss me off before that. I should have taken heed of my pissedness sooner.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing Always heed thine own pissedness... study
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First Trojan using Sony DRM spotted

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
brinxmat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reversal of Sony's previous position.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4430608.stm

[note : made URL work, Blue Hell]
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just knew that my boycotting of Sony products would give instant results!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sony suspends rootkit DRM

Quote:
brinxmat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Power to Stein! (I suspect that some other people might have helped, so power to the people! (I suspect the trojan helped, whereby power also to the trojan-makers (not something you hear so often, eh?)))
aquanaut

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/sony_faces_anot.html
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

brinxmat wrote:
Power to Stein!

Thank you. But I hear they are trying to produce green kryptonite from fermented polkaboards.

Last edited by elektro80 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
bachus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Microsoft Classifies Sony DRM as Malware Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20051114/tc_nf/39419;_ylt=ArXAkkYMpA._HKd97LhfI1IjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Microsoft Classifies Sony DRM as Malware Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20051114/tc_nf/39419;_ylt=ArXAkkYMpA._HKd97LhfI1IjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

Microsoft has a soul? Get outa here! It's like the Grinch, when you see the interior close-up on his little black heart...

All the while, Apple is laughing it's ass off....
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sony Folds Tent, Recalls CDs
Sony Numbers Add Up to Trouble

Quote:
aquanaut

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject:
Subject description: Removing Sony's Software
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Removing Sony's Software
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CD’s Containing XCP Content Protection Technology

Quote:
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sony DRM uninstaller 'worse than rootkit'

Quote:
bachus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject:
Subject description: And they are cheats
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And they are cheats
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"if I had stuck one of my fingers up my a**hole I'd have had more fun" this is an Italian proverb.
I guess this is what the guy who authorized the use of this spyware is thinking now Twisted Evil or not Question Cool
bachus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
"if I had stuck one of my fingers up my a**hole I'd have had more fun" this is an Italian proverb.
I guess this is what the guy who authorized the use of this spyware is thinking now Twisted Evil or not Question Cool

Laughing I hope they are also thinking: "Where am I going to get a new job?!"

Oskar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
OK. My studio is now Sony free.

Anyone else?

Gee, I got a sony DVD player in my main machine. But it's hard to see how removing it is going to advance the cause of liberty, justice and the electro-music way. However, that's a self serving position and I am deeply suspicious of such. I can see how the world would be better if I didn't buy anymore Sony s**t. But dumping what I got? How does that argument work? Perhaps I can be persuaded.

There's only one person who's entitled to an opinion on that, Bachus, and that's you!
As for me, I do indeed have a couple of Sony gadgets, an old minidisc player and a dvd. They're both on thier last legs, and this is the incentive I needed to look elsewhere when I finally replace them! Evil or Very Mad

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I'd say it seems Sony is definitely turning around on these positions. For example: In their laptops (VAIO), they have ALWAYS had prorietary chipsets, limited drivers, and DRM long before M$ knew those 3 letters. MagicGate anyone? Any minidisc owners and your non-portable files?

Anyway, take a look at their latest laptops, the only things still there is a Memory Stick port, and they still call firewire "i.Link". In fact, the Memory stick device doesn't even offer MagicGate protection! They use only standard chipsets (Intel), and the DVD/CD trays are made my Matsushita (Panasonic). So, hoorah for the underground resistance, and all that.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am still boycotting Sony hardware and I am telling everyone else to do the same. That company cannot be trusted.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I try not to buy Nestlé products because of the breastmilk substitute shit that they do in 3rd world countries, but I'm not really sure that other companies like Kraft or Vanderberg (or whatever they're called) act in a more moral way. I generally distrust all companies, especially large ones. The same goes with this stuff - can we trust Philips or Sharp products to not implement shady stuff in their hardware? True, Sony is in a particular situation since they manufacture both hardware and media content - which makes their making mp3 players/VCRs/PVRs and DRM stuff all the more bizarre.

Anyway, what I was meaning to ask was: does some kind of global consumer information service exist, on the web or elsewhere? It would be great if you were able to check out a specific company to see if they were environment-friendly, not violating human rights etc. or doing stupid things like this Sony deal.

/Stefan
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thom Yorke is obsessed with this. There is some link I remember seeing on Radiohead's website......hmmm....they have more now (who would have guessed?)

http://www.corpwatch.org/

http://www.corporatewatch.org/

Here's one I just found on my own. Nothing with Sony yet:

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/boycotts/boycotts_list.htm
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great! Thanks! Very Happy

/Stefan
Page 2 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to: