electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
G2 Engine hardware revision
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Acidfever

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: G2 Engine hardware revision Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

My G2 Engine says "1.1" on the front. I figured this was the hardware revision.

Is 1.1 the latest hardware revision and does anyone know what's changed in the different revisions?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, 1.1 is the hardware version/revision, my racks are both 1.1 as well.

Can't remember having heard of other versions.

Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: G2 Engine hardware revision Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acidfever wrote:
Hi,

My G2 Engine says "1.1" on the front. I figured this was the hardware revision.

Is 1.1 the latest hardware revision and does anyone know what's changed in the different revisions?

This version number on the outside is actually more like the version number of the graphic design of the enclosure. Engine is 1.1 and the 3 oct keyboard G2 says it is 1.4. But Engine, G2 and G2X all have the same motherboard (although the Engine motherboard lacks the A/D converter chip for the controlpedal input as present on the key versions).

Btw, there will be no hardware revisions for the DSP boards for the G2 ever. If there ever will be a new motherboard it will be in a G3, with should then use a new and yet to be developed generation of DSP chips. So, I heard that at Clavia there is no plan to even start thinking about what a G3 could ever look like... Wink

However, there is a new software update for the Editor program in the make. Last news is that they are still working hard on several issues that haven't been fully sorted out yet, and there is not even a hint of a possible release date. Could be Christmas, could be next March, could be next summer... Even the programmers have no clue when the work might be finished.
Applying genetic mutation algorithms on sounds in a sensible way is a totally new subject in the music instrument business, note that the update is planned to be much more than just a random patch generator! And as the Clavia developers want to do a real good job they take their time to investigate all the many different options on how to apply these genetic algoritms. Which I suppose is in the end only good for us, the G2 users. Very Happy
Acidfever

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmmm......today someone mentioned me that his G2 Engine has "1.2" printed on the front. Mine says "1.1".....

So this should be a design change and has nothing to do with the actual device itself?

And eh......G3? Are there plans for that or where you just making a point?
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acidfever wrote:

Just like I said: no plans.
Acidfever

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:
Acidfever wrote:

Just like I said: no plans.

K, any ideas on the difference between G2 Engine 1.1 and 1.2?

I am offered a second G2 Engine for a nice amount of money. My own G2 Engine is v1.1 and the one offered is v1.2. So i really want to know the differences before i decide to get it.

The idea is to take one G2 Engine as an FX solution and dedicate the other one as synthesis machine.

8 i/o rackpower seems like a nice idea! Very Happy
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acidfever wrote:
I am offered a second G2 Engine for a nice amount of money. My own G2 Engine is v1.1 and the one offered is v1.2. So i really want to know the differences before i decide to get it.

All G2 models use the same motherboard, no matter what version number is on the cover. The Engines reading 1.1 are from the very first production run and are quite rare. But it is only some minor details in the graphic layout on the front that is the difference.
(This motherboard remark excludes three alpha G2Key models that read v1.2 on their front and have not been and never will be for sale. Very Happy )

Acidfever wrote:
The idea is to take one G2 Engine as an FX solution and dedicate the other one as synthesis machine.

Which is a very good solution, pairs of Engines. If one is expanded as well that one is the perfect synthesis engine while the second unexpanded one is then the great whacky FX unit. Wink
See :http://www.xs4all.nl/~rhordijk/Images/G2EnginesWoodenSides.gif
Acidfever

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok....well that at least stops me wondering if there is any difference between the different version numbers.

Now for choosing if i'm getting a second G2 Engine or something else like a MPC1000.

Rob wrote:
Acidfever wrote:

All G2 models use the same motherboard, no matter what version number is on the cover. The Engines reading 1.1 are from the very first production run and are quite rare. But it is only some minor details in the graphic layout on the front that is the difference.
(This motherboard remark excludes three alpha G2Key models that read v1.2 on their front and have not been and never will be for sale. Very Happy )

Acidfever wrote:

Which is a very good solution, pairs of Engines. If one is expanded as well that one is the perfect synthesis engine while the second unexpanded one is then the great whacky FX unit. Wink
See :http://www.xs4all.nl/~rhordijk/Images/G2EnginesWoodenSides.gif
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: G2 Engine hardware revision Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:
Applying genetic mutation algorithms on sounds in a sensible way is a totally new subject in the music instrument business, note that the update is planned to be much more than just a random patch generator!

I really like the sound of those last words Smile
Acidfever

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok i found the differences between 1.1 and 1.2.

The 1.2 has an xtra ventilation hole on top and 2 little ventilation holes in the side.

Would this mean the cooling isn't sufficient in revision 1.1 housings?
Ivity

G2 patch files: 57

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have 3-octave version of NMG2.
The signature on the front panel says, that hardware revision is 1.5.
What's the difference between the revisions 1.4 and 1.5?

mother misty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ivity wrote:
I have 3-octave version of NMG2.
The signature on the front panel says, that hardware revision is 1.5.
What's the difference between the revisions 1.4 and 1.5?

Interesting... you're the first one I know who has a v1.5
Maybe it's related to this
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-6648.html

?
Ivity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mother misty wrote:

Interesting... you're the first one I know who has a v1.5
Maybe it's related to this
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-6648.html
?

Thanks Mother, i missed this thread.
I think, your supposition is right. Very Happy

mother misty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want a v1.5 aswell! Smile
Ivity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mother misty wrote:
I want a v1.5 aswell! Smile

I got my G2 in october of 2005, so i think from this time all new G2s have revision 1.5 Smile

cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

haha, time for a trade-in! i wonder if they made any other changes... scratch
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1.4 is more vintage, sounds fatter and warmer.
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:
1.4 is more vintage, sounds fatter and warmer.

compress shakng2 shaking silent puker
Jason

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: G2 Engine hardware revision Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:

However, there is a new software update for the Editor program in the make. Last news is that they are still working hard on several issues that haven't been fully sorted out yet

cool I am glad I read through this thread as I was going to ask if there were any known OS update plans and this is great news to hear. I dare hope for new modules the cymbal module is insane etc, so just adding another sound source would be so awesome though who knows what will happen... Thanks for info
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That software revision is already finished, it is SOFTware version 1.4 (not to be mistaken with the HARDware versions that have been mentioned here). Although development has not stopped permanently, there are no current plans for a new update.
Jason

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: G2 Engine hardware revision Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gah sorry Fozzie my mistake older thread than I realized Surprised
I will be content with my G2 regardless...
Thank You
kaaskop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi.

First post here.

Just read this thread about revision numbers. Someone mentioned that the first released vesion was 1.1. Is that number painted on or is it just a sticker that could come off?

My Engine doesn't appear to have a revision number. It's an early model, because it has a single air vent in the top (and one in the back and in the bottom).

BTW, despite the single top vent, it only gets warm after hours of use, not hot.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome kaaskop

It's on the front in very small print, when you don't have it it's maybe really old?

Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: