electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Signal priority?
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
torsig1967

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Signal priority?
Subject description: What is the priority order between different signals and modules
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have had a few problems with the logic processor in Modular. Sometimes my AND-gates won't work as expected and it seems like it has to do with precedence or signal priority. I wonder if there's some description of signal priority in Nord Modular.

The only thing I find in the manual is that audio signals have the highest priority, but that's not a complete description. What is the precedence between control signals and logic signals? And how is the output from different modules prioritized?

In Max/MSP this issue is well described. The left/right/top/bottom placement of modules will decide precedence for example.

This really needs to be described for the Nord Moular also.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome torsig1967

Its been a while, but from what I remember ...

Yellow and blue are interleaved with red processeing, one quarter of it for each red cycle. I know of no such thing as proritization, but but there is a calculaton order, and that one is troublesome on the NM Classic (on the G2 it's defined better). You'll need to insert modules in a certain order as that determines the calculation order, which basically means you make a design and then you buils it again carefully choosing which module to insert next. Removing a module makes a gap in the list that will be filled with a newly inserted module. Now this is for red signals (and I think gray as well). How the interleving of the slow signals gowes exactly was never discussed AFAIK.

When timing doesn't need to be too fast the easiest thing to do is to synchronize everything yourself using sample and holds and a clock/inverted clock scheme. When timing needs to be fast your in trouble basically.

When you really want to go in depth here it might help to have a look at the patch files (its readable text), as I think the calculation order is the same as the module list order in the patch.

Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: