electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
looking for that electro-theremin sound...help
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
synth-bent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: looking for that electro-theremin sound...help Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys I'm new here and this is my 2nd post (1st was introducing myself) but I have a question that's been nagging me. Here is my problem: I really like the sound of an electro theremin, the perfectly noted pitch moving up or down just gets right to me. I have a theremin softsynth but its odd. I can't afford a real electro theremin I've only found custom built ones for $400+. So here is my question..

Is there a way to get that sound on my synths? I want the sound of each note in between the two I play rising or falling without regenerating a new envelope or skipping keys. I have been just using a high range pitch whel but its not so accurate. I realize if this is possible ill have to play slightly out of step to synch it but that's no problem. I have an Alesis Ion with a sweet mod matrix and a MicroKorg with some nice virtual patching, are there any patches I can do for this effect?

Thanx everyone!

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try the Paia kit at http://www.paia.com

Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The ION has high-resolution controls, doesn't it. You may already have all you need.

One of the best "Theremin" performances I've every heard was Tommy Lindell, but his wasn't using a Theremin but a Nord Modular Micro. One knob controlled the pitch and the other knob controlled the volume. He played it very expressively.

I don't have an ION, but can't you rig it up to play that way. Aren't the knobs reassignable?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
synth-bent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I've been setting mod wheel 1 to volume and giving the pitch wheel a range of 3 octaves and setting the release on my program to hold, hit one note and blast away on the wheels, but I'm trying to figure if there's a way to use it like an electro-theremin, where I can actually hit a key, then hit another and instead of going straight from (for example) C right to G, to be able to go thru each note in between C and G with the same amp and filter env.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, for that you just need to put the synth in MONO mode and turn up the glide or portimento control. That should do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
synth-bent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome ill definately try that when I get home! Thanks again both of u.

And an interesting tidbit about the paia synths:

My friend works at a cd duplication place and this elderly man brought him in a 45 with abunch of old 70's Paia synth sound demos on it that he wanted transfered to cd, anyways he put it on mp3 for me and I yank some of the sounds out for samples sometimes. Pretty cool stuff!

morbius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Oh, for that you just need to put the synth in MONO mode and turn up the glide or portimento control. That should do it.

I agree, mosc.

The effect 'synth-bent' is talking about (for those who might not know) is called several different names: portamento, glissando, glide, lag, slew... but it all means about the same thing. In the modular/analog synth world, it's usually called a slew-limiter... or lag processor (as a device).
And, as you've described, it makes the change from one note to the next smooth, rather than instant. The time can vary.

On some synths, the type of port./slew. can be different (exp./linear), and there can be other variables like fingered (where you only get the effect for the keys which are not released), just depending. Also... the type of keyboard can be a factor, and it's 'key-priority'. The three I know about are low-note priority, high-note priority, or last note priority. This all has an effect on how the glide responds or works, and can affect how the keys need to be played. (Are there any where key-priority is selectable?)(I would think that this is a desirable thing to have). The old Moog & ARP modulars (including the 2600 & minimoog) are low-note priority. My dotcom keyboard QKB15S is last-note priority.

But back to Theremins since that's what sparked your interest.
Theremins are made by a lot of people and companies, not the least of which is Moog. Many are available as kits, which keeps the cost down (if you know which end of a soldering iron to hold).

morbius001a@yahoo.com
x0x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The one that is hot, right?
morbius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for that electro-theremin sound...help Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synth-bent wrote:

<snip>

Is there a way to get that sound on my synths? I want the sound of each note in between the two I play rising or falling without regenerating a new envelope or skipping keys. I have been just using a high range pitch whel but its not so accurate. I realize if this is possible ill have to play slightly out of step to synch it but that's no problem. I have an Alesis Ion with a sweet mod matrix and a MicroKorg with some nice virtual patching, are there any patches I can do for this effect?

Ya know... I just re-read your question... and my original reply... (I must have been sober that day).

Now... I do realize that with the synths you have, this won't help you. But- I was thinking about it from a theoretical point of view... and, from a 'modular' synth point of view.

So- your actual question was: "I want the sound of each note in between the two I play rising or falling without regenerating a new envelope or skipping keys."

On a modular synth (I have dotcom)... to get the effect you're looking for, I'd do it this way: patch a foot-pedal to one of the control-inputs of the final VCA. The EG controlling that VCA should be patched either thru an attenuator, or if it's a 'dotcom', the EG patched to control-in #1 (which has an attenuator). This would allow you to manually control the VCA's gain with the foot-pedal, so you could open the VCA however much you wanted while playing, while the EG is still controlling the VCA from the keyboard or whatever other controller. The pedal would 'override' the EG.

It could be that you might want to switch which one runs thru the attenuator... but, the bottom line is you could have some of the audio present and it's level controlled by the pedal in between key presses without refiring the EG. An alternative would be to patch the EG and pedal to a mixer, then to the VCA.

I swear... I keep thinking that I want to go ahead and buy a theremin to use as a controller for my modular, and as an individual instrument, as well. But, I somehow manage to talk myself out of it, thinking... I've got enough 'stuff'... they're awfully hard to learn to play (so I hear).... and probably, most importantly... what, exactly, do I think I'm gonna play with one, anyway?! Rolling Eyes I've gotta say that I was very impressed with some of the thereminists at Bob Moog's funeral service... and at Moogfest.

morbius001a@yahoo.com
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: