electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Waldorf announces new product range
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Waldorf announces new product range
Subject description: Well.. new? Anyways..
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://waldorfmusic.de/en/products

Waldorf is seemingly about to put the three VST plugins back into production. And there will also be more than software coming off the assembly line, the Q, the Q+ and the microQ are back too. And there is a possibility we will soon see OS software updates. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All the three Qs are wonderful instruments. This is great news indeed.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree. I have a Q rack and love it. It's wonderful to see Waldorf rise from the ashes. It's great to hear that they will continue the Q series.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I still wonder how they will create a momentum for the "new" product range. If they update the PPG and the Attack plugins to AU, then that would be just great. These are still very good, but I would love to see an integration/rethinking of the full Wave/EVU/Waveterm suite and this then implemented in an update of the Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really liked the PPG Wave interface. It would be nice either to see a full chinese made Waldorf clone of the original and with the Waveterm + x number of EVUs as a software addon for the laptop. An alternative is the same Korg did with the excellent KLC - bundling a USB controller.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
AnalogAssailant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great to see! I am hoping they are able to make OS updates for their existing synths, squeezing as much as they can out of those Motorola DSP’s. I admit I would love to see a new product though (except if it’s a software synth/plug VST).

As a side comment I recently received my Q rack last week and I noticed that the knobs seemed a little flaky. For example when turning them they appear a little warped or bent..even though they are aren’t. I guess the molds were a little off when they were made. Also they don’t have that nice tactile resistance that the MW-XT or even my pulse has. Anyone notice something similar with their Q’s?

Knob grumbles aside I really like the sound of the Q, plus I am happy I went with the bigger rack as I am realizing lots of interesting possibilities with the on board sequencer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OS updates have been announced but these will not be free.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
AnalogAssailant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"...these will not be free." - ick! Crying or Very sad
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AnalogAssailant wrote:
As a side comment I recently received my Q rack last week and I noticed that the knobs seemed a little flaky. For example when turning them they appear a little warped or bent..even though they are aren’t. I guess the molds were a little off when they were made. Also they don’t have that nice tactile resistance that the MW-XT or even my pulse has. Anyone notice something similar with their Q’s?

Yes. They use a (cheap...) rotary encoder type that just has that feel to it. I also noticed that the knob mouldings was slightly off, at least for some of the knobs (so it may the process that was off). Some knobs on my Q was so loose that they has some slack so that you could feel it catch the rotary axle after a slight bit of 'dead' movement - I inserted bits of paper in these to tighten them up. A few Q owners has needed to replace one or more rotaries. You can get spares here. It might be an idea to get a few while they can still be bought. Minor quibbles though - I love my Q! Smile

DJ
--
AnalogAssailant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanx for the link Justice! I will grab a few spares because the last sequencer knob on the far right of my Q moves horizontally! ugh.

On one hand I am glad my unit wasn’t some one off lemon but on the other it’s disappointing knowing that this was waldorf’s (poor) choice of hardware bits for their flagship synth. I hope they do things right under new the management.
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
OS updates have been announced but these will not be free.

Really? interesting. For which products? Just the ones in their product line? I checked out their site, could not find any info.

Lemme know.
/Dasz
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Re the OS, most of the newer Waldorf gear has an embedded and readable serial number. This will probably be used for making some sort of licensing scheme with "copyprotection". As for which models will see OS updates, i don´t know the full story yet, but I am sure the current Q range is on the list.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't see the Q rack listed in their product line up. Surely they will update its OS?
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rumours... the Qrack will see an OS update too.. but.. add some salt and lutefisk .. Cool

Keep in mind that the new Waldorf is starting with a clean slate.. and legally they have no obligations re the stuff sold by the previous Waldorf company. OS updates is one possible way to generate income. No matter what, the new Waldorf will have to start to sell stuff people will want to buy.. and this will have to happen reasonably fast. I hope the guys can pull this off.
As for competition, small brands like Clavia, Waldorf and Moog Music ( and others too ) are really making gear that has a special personality/character and the absolutely wrong thing to do would be to compare this odd stuff with the japanese monsterpolka machines.

As for rumours, it seems that Roland monster DJ/Loop/Polka goldchained box ( with disposable pimpsticks ) is late to the market. It was said to be a kind of Korg ultra Oasys style brick but with a ûber-groovebox twist.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
dasz

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
lutefisk

sound tasty, I love seafood ...
/Dasz
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
Quote:
lutefisk

sound tasty, I love seafood ...
/Dasz

do you also like the taste of caustic soda Question ask Stein Cool

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
dasz

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yuk! that does not sound nice. I just know it is a fish-dish ... Now I won't order one in a restaurant
/Dasz
f5d

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really nice to see that Waldorf is back! I own Pulse, MicroQ and XTk and love them. Smile
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Jump to: