electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
How too make a note gate longer then 1/16 th?
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Yawgmoth

G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: How too make a note gate longer then 1/16 th? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

I'm working on a patch too sequence my Arp2600 that is connected too my midi setup with a Kenton pro 2000. Every thing works fine sofar. Notes are played and the 6 aux outputs off the Kenton are nicely modulated by the LFO's from the G2.

Now I want too make notes sound longer then 1/16 th. How can this be programmed? For example: 1/16, 1/16, 2/16, 1/16 and 4/16 as a sequence.

ARP2600 sequencer expanded.pch2
 Description:
The building of this sequencer is in progress.

Download
 Filename:  ARP2600 sequencer expanded.pch2
 Filesize:  2.3 KB
 Downloaded:  1452 Time(s)

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Use a LFOB sawtooth (set to clock sync 1/16 if you like) to clock your sequencers. Add an extra valseq for the gate times, patch the LFO sawtooth and the gate time sequencer to a cmpval module and use its output as your gate. You get variable gate time from 0-100% in 128 steps which means it also does rests and ties.
sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not quite sure exactly what you're after, but if you click on the T (trigger) button on the NoteSeq and change it to G (gate), you can then link consequecutive notes to make longer notes.

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
Yawgmoth

G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sheridan wrote:
Not quite sure exactly what you're after, but if you click on the T (trigger) button on the NoteSeq and change it to G (gate), you can then link consequecutive notes to make longer notes.

That's it! So dum of me not knowing this anymore, i've NM for 3 or 4 years Embarassed

Thx for all reply's
mininanowave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

but what happens when you want to hold note for 16 steps and then you reset loop but sequencer still holds note. is there better way that T? like hold note for 15 steps and hit new note on step 16? how to do this?

mininano.

my g2 is 2 pc's with g2demo

Last edited by mininanowave on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You replace sequencer with "pulse" module followed by the logic inverter over "sync" signal patched. No use sequencer no more; no needed expensive module for that. Sequencer lots of knobs and schreen space only it's the confusing extra. little small few sample latency no matter for the long notes. Take the easy cheap way in that place.

Also next time you use the "sentence structure" sub patch, no excuse if from USA, me spend long time decoding you words.

mininanowave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Also next time you use the "sentence structure" sub patch, no excuse if from USA,

sorry about my bad english. i am in america temporarily.

Quote:
You replace sequencer with "pulse" module followed by the logic inverter over "sync" signal patched.

what do you mean here? can you post a patch?

mininanowave
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mininanowave wrote:

sorry about my bad english. i am in america temporarily.

Whoops!

Aplogies.

The bit you want is in red. Instead of the flipflop you could of cource use a sequencer for the pitches.

16-steps.pch2
 Description:
abusing the sync pulse to create a note lasting 16 steps (minus .11ms)

Download
 Filename:  16-steps.pch2
 Filesize:  1.7 KB
 Downloaded:  2231 Time(s)

ian-s

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The problem with gate mode is you loose the ability to have two or more consecutive 16th notes.
A gate width conrol input (as a % of tempo) would have been handy on the clock module.
Unfed

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wasn't this resolved somehow, maybe by sending a pulse from another sequencer to retrigger the envelope at a certain step?
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mininano,

I usualy use an event sequencer for gating (startinng stopping notes). On row 1 I use T (for holding notes longer. On row 2 i put reset notes times.

See patch (this will open on G2 demo)
/Dasz

Hold&Reset_DZ.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Hold&Reset_DZ.pch2
 Filesize:  2.14 KB
 Downloaded:  1489 Time(s)

mininanowave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz

your patch looks very good for what i want. i can reset with 2nd row to interrupt connected holding notes on 1st row (step 12 and step 1 reset even when T is on row 1). very happy

i see you made sounds with g2 factory banks. very nice sounding, and different sometimes when your morphing.

mininanowave

Last edited by mininanowave on Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
mininanowave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kassen, it is ok. i am trying to improve my english here in usa. and i am thinking if i should buy g2 engine here too. it has it 120/240v switch, correct? i do not know how to do electronics (just electronic music).

mininanowave
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I did some sounds a while ago for the G2. I hope to have some new stuff eventually (and just had a wicked weekend with a portable G2 and car sound system experience)

Thus a new avatar. At speed Wink
/Dasz
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems like there are a lot of different ways to do this. I like to use the level sequencer with the levels outputted to the hold input of a modulable AHD envelope. Maybe a bit more expensive but a bit more readable.

/Stefan

modulate_gate.pch2
 Description:
Modulate Gate

Download
 Filename:  modulate_gate.pch2
 Filesize:  1.67 KB
 Downloaded:  1948 Time(s)

mininanowave

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you too antimon,

i like holding notes this way too. your patch combined with dasz patch make very rich sequences.

thank you 2 guys

now help me, should i get g2 engine or g2 keyboard (but it is so much more expensive). i dream of the g2 keyboard. even i when i look on ebay, the price is still high.... i like the keybaord because of 808 style sequencer programming mode (some said this on electromusic).

maybe i need to sell something else (i have enough for a engine), and i have a dp/4 that a g2 may replace well (4 input and 4 outputs of effects) ... how much is a dp/4 worth?

mininano
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: How too make a note gate longer then 1/16 th? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yawgmoth wrote:
Now I want too make notes sound longer then 1/16 th. How can this be programmed? For example: 1/16, 1/16, 2/16, 1/16 and 4/16 as a sequence.

I posted an example in the Buildingblock section:
http://electro-music.com/forum/post-76684.html#76684

/Rob
mininanowave

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow another way too from rob! i really want a g2 now! the demo does not have enough power...

mininano
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mininanowave wrote:

maybe i need to sell something else (i have enough for a engine), and i have a dp/4 that a g2 may replace well (4 input and 4 outputs of effects) ... how much is a dp/4 worth?

I wouldn't do that. For the things they have in common the DP/4 knocks the G2 around the block. I seriously doubt anybody will ever make a multi-fx like those Ensoniq's again.

ian-s

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should try and get some hands on time with the G2 key. It's user interface does not suit everybody. Looks better on paper than it does in practice. IMO it is like tweaking through a mail slot.
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In case someone else hasn't thought of this method -

How about using a SHAPE LFO set to pulse wave, and sync'd to midi clock, and using a level Seq or value seq (clocked from midi sync'd clock module) to control the pulse width of each cycle of the LFO? This varying-width midi-sync'd pulse would then be used to gate the EGs.

Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: