electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Wish List
Product Wish
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Product Wish
Subject description: What i would like to see from clavia
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A G2 II for surround use.
6 outputs and 6 encoder pairs and displays. pitchwheel avove the keyboard so that the machine is actually even smaller than the G2..
It should fit under an airplane seat.
Same keyboard but weighted.
Maybe expanded ram. midi via usb additional to the midiports.
i would go for that..
selvmarcus

G2 patch files: 39

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...and give it USB 2.0 and make it act like an audio interface or vst-plugin with 6 in/outs, too!

And two mic-inputs with phantom power!

And let it have a compact-flash port where you can store some
samples (!) (or even tracks?).

Ah, whats this, a recording studio? Wink

-----
Marcus
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree on the airplane seat thing. To me the big keyboard models make no sense because everyone who wants a big midi keyboard already has one and those G2 keyboards are nothing special.

Drop the DAC's entirely. It was nice to try having DAC's but it turned out that was slightly too ambitious. No harm in trying but let's just say it would have been better to keep those in the alpha stage. Instead have ADAT. ADAT will either allow people to pick their own dac's or plug the synth directly into a soundcard or digital mixer.

Drop the silly USB nonsense; that's for kids. Instead have a ethernet plug, have all comunication with the editor go over OSC, document this and port the editor to Java as a default/example interface. This will instantly make it compattible with everything in sight. Why would you want to lug around a laptop when a mobile phone or pda would do? It will also open the way for custom interfaces for speciffic patches that could load as a plugin in a host sequencer. Be the first to have a OSC compatible keyboard on the market. Leave in a MIDI port for legacy hardware.

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Drop the silly USB nonsense; that's for kids. Instead have a ethernet plug

IMO, the engine should have been this. It was pushed as a "modular dsp synth/effects unit for the studio", so why the midi and audio plugs? If you need a computer to do anything useful with the engine, then why not push everything through the computer? You can then do your midi and audio routing from there. I see no advantage with studio work for the G2 to have midi and audio interfaces.

It's not like it's brand new territory either - Waves APA32, Muse Receptor etc. have all done it.

Much better would have been G2key, G2tabletop and G2studioengine. The G2tabletop could have filled the niche that attracted the current engine users (cheap, full functionality, no keyboard).

Quote:
port the editor to Java as a default/example interface. This will instantly make it compattible with everything in sight. Why would you want to lug around a laptop when a mobile phone or pda would do? It will also open the way for custom interfaces for speciffic patches that could load as a plugin in a host sequencer.

This is just asking for trouble. Everytime they update the OS, a new default/example interface will have to be created. Whether bedroom developers want to follow this is up to them. I can see it now - Clavia inundated with emails from people saying "Kassen's Fourier Disrupter patch/vst interface doesn't work with the new OS! Why???" or "I just tried running Blue Hell's noodle editor on the new OS and my G2 doesn't work anymore".

But this is all useless speculation. Clavia did what they did, we all have to live with it, and most of us choose to live with it - they did something right! Still saving up to trade my engine for a G2key though...
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:
"I just tried running Blue Hell's noodle editor on the new OS and my G2 doesn't work anymore".

Wow ! how did I do that ... Very Happy

I'm all for the ethernet plug and OSC, but would not want to do without MIDI (a quick thing that always works .. ahum ... mostly works) and certainly not without analog audio.

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But this way your computer is your midi and audio - your computer's midi outs and audio outs are the G2's (if you rout them that way). 99% of the time you have to use your computer to use the engine, it makes sense that they should be integrated fully and you decide where the midi and audio goes, like you do with other integrated systems (vst instruments, sequencer audio/midi tracks)

I don't see any reason, other than outside the studio preset playback via midi (which is beyond the scope of a studio dsp engine anyway), that midi and audio should be included on the engine. But I guess it's cheap and not really a hassle to include it... I just don't see why if the engine is integrated with a computer.
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Drop the DAC's entirely. It was nice to try having DAC's but it turned out that was slightly too ambitious.

You and your DAc´s Wink

Of cause its better to have some on board.. when there is no speaker
inbuild its allready difficult...

I ve this little dyncord amp..the first one they ever build..its just a straight amp with a little speaker..looks a bid like a mixture between a handbag and a valve radio...just no radio...
I need my Dac´s to connect to it Smile
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to see a G2-less version of the G2 keyboard- so at least I could have the option of getting an engine first then a decent controller.

The other things I'd love to see are;

a) A G2 Micromodular (or at least an engine with some knobs, switches and an LCD on it.

b) The demo software turned into a proper item- instead of it just being a demo.

c) Clavia to stop being so secretive- and join in discussions on electro-music.com !!!

Pigs might fly?

Most probably.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Pigs might fly?

Hey, no jokes about pigs here on E-M. The first band I played in was called 'the horrible space pigs'. As you'll understand, jokes about this subject or any matter regarding pigs in general are not acceptable Laughing
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Moved this to the wish list forum. Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like 6 or 8 analog inputs/outputs too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd second Ethernet, which might as well be 1000-T at this point in time. I'd also like to see AES/EBU Optical connectors, though at 96kHz, that limits the channels to the 4in & 4out that we have, but I'm personally happy with that.

I'd like to see CV ins & outs. I'm not much of a keyboardist, and have been experimenting with 1/2 acoustic 1/2 electronic custom instruments. So I don't want to sacrifice the audio ins & outs to accomodate CVs. For now, I make CV->MIDI conversion, which just adds cables & means I need to carry a midi router with me. Convenience doesn't have to be seperate from modular. That's the concept of the Nord Modulars, right?

Once you have a fast ethernet system, that opens clavia to openMosix type networked processing, though I've never found an audio application that used it well, so maybe that's just techno-cool stuff and otherwise useless. Still, I like to consider "modular" systems as much about possibilities as they are about what is.

[edit -jk*]
I'd also like to see support for sampling, and sample based synthesis, Medium (8bit) and Large (16bit?) look-up tables, granular modules, a "stack" module (first-in last-out), and more consistency within module groups (like, why don't ALL the sequencer modules support recording???).

Last edited by jksuperstar on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Pigs might fly?

They certainly do fly. Haven't you been to a Pink Floyd concert- during the 80's?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

Pigs might fly?

They certainly do fly. Haven't you been to a Pink Floyd concert- during the 80's?

no, no, no, no, no! Laughing

Funnily enough my Uncle was a founding member of the Pink Floyd sound (as they were originally known- as well as 'the screaming abdabs' etc etc). He taught Syd Barrett how to play the guitar!!

My Mum also went to art school (in Cambridge) with Dave Gilmour and Syd (Roger) Barrett.

The legacy of Syd Barrett is very unfortunate Sad

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Funnily enough my Uncle was a founding member of the Pink Floyd sound (as they were originally known- as well as 'the screaming abdabs' etc etc). He taught Syd Barrett how to play the guitar!!

Shocked
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

Shocked

I put my hand on my heart. No shit- and almost by coincidence I have just been on the phone to my mother who bought up the fact that she's just bought Gilmour's new LP, and although it sounds nothing like PF, it apparently reminds her of when they were at college- so there!! Very Happy

It's been quite an interesting life so far- my brother also used to be in a band who's keyboard player was Aaron Emerson (son of Keith/ ELP fame)- and we used to 'hang out' at the Emerson's at Gunn Hill near Lewes in Sussex (where I'm originally from) Personally I can't stand Keith Emerson's music (I didn't think much of him either!!)- but there you go! Laughing

Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:
But this way your computer is your midi and audio - your computer's midi outs and audio outs are the G2's (if you rout them that way). 99% of the time you have to use your computer to use the engine, it makes sense that they should be integrated fully and you decide where the midi and audio goes, like you do with other integrated systems (vst instruments, sequencer audio/midi tracks)

I don't see any reason, other than outside the studio preset playback via midi (which is beyond the scope of a studio dsp engine anyway), that midi and audio should be included on the engine. But I guess it's cheap and not really a hassle to include it... I just don't see why if the engine is integrated with a computer.

I do use the G2 engine stand alone. I can use either a Peavey 1600 or a BCF2000 to control it, or use the G2 key to control it. So, in my case I only use the computer to download patches to the engine, but do not need a computer to play them. Meaning that '99%' seems to indicate only your personal situation. No MIDI and no audio would not be nice at all.

But an additional ethernet/OSC, USB2.0, FAT32 compatible memorycard slot and an ADAT option could definitely be included in a G3. And my personal hardware need is for highres DC-coupled control voltage inputs and outputs. Just as it would be so nice to control the G2 engine from all sorts of (analog) sensors, like gesture controllers and the lot. (not specifically from other analog synths, though that would also be possible).

Might take some more years though before it might happen. Wink

/Rob
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Wish List
Jump to: