electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Cubase
Best Motherbaord, Chipset and Processor to use?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
emunity

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Best Motherbaord, Chipset and Processor to use?
Subject description: AMD, INTEL, VIA, NFORCE4
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I need some opinions. Most of you have the hardware already. SOme with Intel some with AMD. I just want to know which brand to go with. I want an AUDIO workstation to work flawlessly with AUDIO obviously. I knwo that NFORCE4 chipsets have had there problems as well as VIA.

Anyone using both can you comment on any AUdio issues? LAtency? Audio Noices like pops and clicks. Blue screens? Etc

My friend sais go with GIgabyte, AMD and Via chipset for Pro Audio. He tried NForce3 chipset and Asus motherboard and said it was a nitemare. BLue screens. Ram worked like shit etc.

THanks
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you aren't an expert an you have a friend that has success with a certain combination, then I'd suggest following his lead. I build a new system every few years, so I'm not up-to-date on the latest stuff.

I have had good luck with AMD and VIA chips. Everytime I've looked at it, AMD was more bang for the buck. I've used ASUS but didn't have much luck with reliability. This site started on a Linux machine built with an ASUS board.

I would build every system with RAID, but I wouldn't use RAID on the motherboard. I've been burned by that. When your motherboard gets old and you need to replace it for whatever reason, you are limited by the choices you have if you require a certain type of RAID controller. If you get a RAID controller board, then you can use that with any motherboard. Your disk drives are sort of married to your RAID controllers, so get a spare RAID board so you'll always be able to recover should yours die.

I have found most problems stem from bad drivers, not the motherboards and chip sets. Just my experience.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dmosc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

personally, I swear by EPOX boards. They're cheap, feature packed, and easy to work with. I have also had very good experiences with ASUS. They're just more money and often come with stuff you won't want (like an integrated $30 creative sound blaster for example). I have had multiple bad experiences with SOYO, MSI, and DFI. Gigabyte is another expensive one and they often have added features I find useless, expensive, and a source of problems. Dual bios is a great concept but adds another level of complexity to the bios process. I have never been a fan of Gigabyte's bundled software either. I find it a little burdensome for a motherboard.

As far as chipsets go, I have no negative things to say about any of the recent ones. VIA, SiS, and Nvidia all make very nice platforms (Remember that AMD stopped making chipsets for it's own processors a few years back). Personally, I use 3 computers right now with different variations of the nvidia Nforce2 chipset. I am very satisfied. The Nforce4 is a great platform with many integrated features. You'll see that most AMD demo systems run on nforce4 motherboards. It's certainly a few % faster than the VIA's offering.

It's hard for me to recommend a board for you without knowing what kind of money you want to spend and what kind of video card you would want. If you give me some more detail, I could help you design your system (I used to do it for a living). Feel free to email me if you would rather correspond privately. I promise not to sell you anything Smile
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've currently got a VIA K8T800 chipset under an AMD 64 CPU with 1G of RAM and a 6600GT Nvidia card. I disabled the onboard sound and put an Audigy ZS in it. Running XP, it is by far the most reliable system I've ever had. I use it for everything from high end gaming to music to web design, circuit layouts, photoshop, etc etc. It's crashed once in the last 12 months!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since dmosc has joined this thread, I'm going to drop out. He designs all of my computers and knows much more about them than I do.

I guess people build their own because they get more bang for the buck and they enjoy the process. I like DIY computers because you can more easilly fix them yourself, and they are generally easier to upgrade. Unlike building circuits, you don't need excellent eye sight either.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Cubase
Jump to: