electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Opportunities Wanted and Available
Open Midi Controller Project
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
play

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Open Midi Controller Project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi. I recently built a small box which allows multiple DB-9 connectors to be plugged into a PC via the parallel port. I am using this device along with original open source software as an interface for alternative and custom built midi controllers. The software allows any number of drivers for various controllers to be "plugged in" without any need to alter the existing GUI or midi classes.

I am opening up this project to anyone interested in building a larger driver/controller base. There is a small page located here: http://www.noiseusse.org/lab/xobsen.htm with plans for the hardware interface, NES controller modifications and downloads of the software. I would love to see this site grow into a database of user submitted plans for custom controllers.

If you are interested, the first step is to build a hardware interface and start playing around. I will take any questions/driver submissions at my email address.

thanks,
e
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a pleasant avatar.

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
play

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I aim to please.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting project you have there! NES? Is that some sort of name for the game controllers?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
play

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nintendo Entertainment System

right now the software can take any kind of NES controller such as the normal controllers, the headset, the glove, the power pad, etc.

I'm studying up on the PICmicro 16F877 right now. It will drive a little box to make it easy for people to make their own controllers by adding certain types of transducers to certain contacts on the box.

think arrays of force sensitive resistors, think piezos, think happy thoughts ::)
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
play

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

um, yeah. exactly.

But think of all the wonderful things I will learn while building my own ::)

And please don't tempt me while I'm reading the PIC 16F87x data sheet. As it is, I'm going to have to lock myself in a room with a keg full of soda and unplug the cable modem. But that's definitely a nice site.

Last edited by play on Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

noiseusse wrote:
um, yeah. exactly.

But think of all the wonderful things I will learn while building my own :Smile

Good point.

Have you done some estimates of the cost of the parts and stuff?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
play

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well it looks like the PICmicro 16F877 is the chip for midi. On the microchip.com site it lists the price at $4.50 US. All the rest of the components can be bought at radio shack or made in my garage.

For the cost of parts it'll probaby be somewhere around $30. That's doing everything the DIY wasy, including building a programmer for the microcontroller. It's way cheap but way time consuming. Especially the software part.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting!
How far are you thinking to take the software?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
play

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That really depends on how long my energy lasts for the project and how much others contribute. That's the beauty of a very scalable project.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I've never been one to build it myself if someone sells a nice inexpensive kit. But while you are digging into this project, consider that the abovementioned kit doesn't support rotary encoders with differential encoding. Plain old pots aren't going to cut it for real time performance anymore, not with soft synths and the new Clavia G2. If you can crack that nut, I'd be interested in getting out a soldering iron and new pair of glasses to wire up some custom controllers, maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
play

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing Question Shocked
That's one of most interesting posts I've ever seen. Like a good poem, I'll have to think about that for a while. Smile
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes... and leaving the poor nuts out of the picture kinda makes it even more profound.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
play

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a Zen thing. Ya know: "There are no nuts."
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked
Profound! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
play

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does it count if it's accidentally profound?

I was just shooting for pithy.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure... "accidentally profound" will do just fine! Very Happy

BTW: most catholic saints end up being saints by pretty much the same mechanism.. if that is not profund.. then what is? Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Who was the worst Catholic saint?
This is a perennial topic of debate at my local saloon, right after "Who was the world's greatest fighter?" (The other guys are evenly split between Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali, but I'm holding out for Ingemar Johannson.) The discussion is complicated by the fact that little is known about many saints. We don't even know how many there are--the Catholic Church keeps no official tally, although Butler's Lives of the Saints has 2,565 entries. 

Then you've got the question of criteria. What do you have to do to qualify as "the worst"? Here are the possibilities, as I see them: 

Be nonexistent. In Christianity's early days sainthood was a matter of popular acclaim. When the church formalized canonization in the 13th century, the traditional saints were grandfathered in, but later historical review found no reliable information about many of them and some appeared never to have existed at all. One egregious example is Saint Josaphat, who supposedly was the son of an East Indian king who persecuted his Christian subjects. When it was foretold that his son would become a Christian, the king had him brought up in confinement, but the son converted anyway. Scholars eventually realized this was actually the legend of the Buddha tricked out in Christian disguise.

Then there's Saint Ursula, said to have been martyred along with 11,000 virgin companions in 451 at Cologne. Although it's possible some women were martyred in that city at some point, the notion of there ever having been 11,000 virgins in one place at one time ultimately proved too much for even true believers to swallow, and veneration of Ursula was suppressed.

When Pope Paul VI revised the canon of saints in 1969, some traditional saints were downgraded because of doubts about their stories, if not necessarily their existence. Saint Christopher, for example, is thought to have been martyred under the Roman emperor Decius in the third century, but nothing else is known about him. The well-known story about his having carried the Christ child across a river--the kid supposedly became staggeringly heavy because he bore the weight of the world--is now recognized as pious fiction.

Not all fabrications about saints can be attributed to medieval simpletons. Take the case of Saint Philomena. In 1802 the bones of a girl between 13 and 15 years old, plus a vial of what was believed to be dried blood, were found in a catacomb in Rome. An inscription said, "Peace be with thee, Philomena" and included depictions of anchors, arrows, and a palm. Impressionable souls leaped to the conclusion that these were the tokens of a virgin martyr. A cult sprang up and hundreds of miracles were attributed to Philomena's intercession. Other devout persons of the era, several of whom went on to become canonized themselves, implored Pope Gregory XVI to start the canonization process, and devotions to Philomena were authorized in 1837. Reason eventually reasserted itself and Philomena was removed from the calendar of saints in 1961.

Be crazy. Where to start? Paging through Butler's Lives we find the story of Saint Christina the Astonishing, who was unable to bear the smell of human beings. "She lived by begging, dressed in rags, and in many ways behaved in a very terrifying manner," we are told. "There is little in the recorded history of Christina . . . to make us think she was other than a pathological case."

Be bad prior to having seen the light. By his own admission Saint Augustine lived a life of debauchery prior to getting religion. To him is attributed the wonderful quote, "Lord, make me chaste--but not yet."

Be bad, period. One's attention is naturally drawn to recent examples, some of whom have merely been proposed for sainthood. Pope Pius IX was declared blessed, an interim step on the road to canonization, despite allegations of anti-Semitism. An attempt to do likewise for Pius XII was postponed over protests that he had done nothing to save the Jews during World War II. (For a particularly harsh indictment see John Cornwell's 1999 book Hitler's Pope: The Secret History of Pius XII.) The question remains controversial and I won't attempt to settle it, but I notice Pius XII's defenders often fall back on the argument that speaking out would only have made things worse--as if things could possibly have gotten much worse than the Holocaust. Easy to say when you're not the one on the hot seat, I guess, but there comes a point when caution looks like cowardice. I'm just glad this guy's not a saint yet.

--CECIL ADAMS
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/020315.html

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Carlo, you win the OT prize of the day for that one. Congrats.

That is a very interesting article, nonetheless.

From this article I learned that St. Augustine said, "Lord, make me chaste - but not yet." Hmmm.... very wise man, at least when he said that.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
St. Augustine said, "Lord, make me chaste - but not yet." Hmmm.... very wise man, at least when he said that.

Oscar Wilde said once:" I CAN RESIST ANYTHING BUT TEMPTATION"
maybe he deserves to be saint too for that sentence Shocked
and what about this one?

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Midi Controller Project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

noiseusse wrote:
Hi. I recently built a small box......

Clearly this is a shrine..

http://www.homegardenreviews.com/Altars__Bringing_Sacred_Shrines_into_Your_Everyday_Life_0345434463.html

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
play

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Clearly this is a shrine..

Well, maybe just a little portable one:
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Opportunities Wanted and Available
Jump to: