electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Audio In
Resonators
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
tombola

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Resonators
Subject description: Attempt to copy the 'Resonators' effect in Ableton Live
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the 'Resonator' effect in Ableton Live, so I tried to copy it on the G2. The structure seems reasonably accurate - using five banks of string oscillators, triggered by the audio input.
I started trying to duplicate the presets on the Ableton thing, but got bored, so they're not really complete, or very accurate.
You can also play the oscillators from the keyboard. If you remove the MonoKey module, you can turn up the polyphony and play chords (of chords), but it gets bonkers fairly quickly.

I've also attached an mp3 of a 909 running through the patch, with me 'playing' they chords with the variation buttons.

Resonators.pch2
 Description:
5-band resonators, based on the effect in Ableton Live

Download
 Filename:  Resonators.pch2
 Filesize:  2.21 KB
 Downloaded:  2426 Time(s)

g2 resonators.mp3
 Description:
Short MP3 of a 909 running through the 'Resonators' patch

Download
 Filename:  g2 resonators.mp3
 Filesize:  2.1 MB
 Downloaded:  1831 Time(s)

long resonator 909.mp3
 Description:
Another, much longer version of the same thing, sounding a bit like Underworld...

Download
 Filename:  long resonator 909.mp3
 Filesize:  5.96 MB
 Downloaded:  1545 Time(s)

Last edited by tombola on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice !
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Nice !

Quite nice! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great patch!
I've used a cannibalized version of your patch in this performance, hope you don't mind...

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-15838.html
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is great, well done.

Cheers

Andy
dNRML

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hiya, Im new here, first post even!

Im a laptop to hardware convert but wondered what I would do without Ableton's awesome effects. Like the resonator.

This is GREAT. I just bought an expanded G2 four days ago, I can't believe some of the stuff you folks create. And I'm shocked this machine can pull it off. Just... wow factor X100. I'm loser obsessed with it Smile

Anyway, I just wanted to say, I added a noise gate and nord filter set to HP in the beginning of the chain and added a wet/dry mix at the end. It works great. Im running an ESX1 through it and the gate makes for some nice variation on the triggering of the effect.

BUT... on the way to work today I got to thinking... which is usually terrible... I remembered being shocked at how much of a cycle hog the patch is. Which got me to thinking of ways to lessen it. So pitch shifting came to mind and it works... sort of.

I kept the first string oscillator and replaced the others with pitch shifters and with proper level tweaking and HP filter at the top of the chain it actually pulls it off. And its running at 65.9 cycles and 21.0 memory. That gives a little more room for extra processing. With that I can use a comb filter instead of the nord filter, which makes for some very different yet pleasant sounds, and... it wont choke and die Smile

It doesn't sound as bright and... alive? As five string oscillators but its a pretty decent knock off. I might try and use two string oscillators and see if that makes it a little more convincing. A fake Rolex is still a damn nice looking watch Wink

Either way, you are a genius for even thinking to use the string oscillator like this. Cheers! And another cheer to Mother Misty for adapting it well in a performance.

This machine makes me so happy. Does this feeling ever go away?
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dNRML wrote:
Hiya, Im new here, first post even!

Im a laptop to hardware convert but wondered what I would do without Ableton's awesome effects. Like the resonator.

This is GREAT. I just bought an expanded G2 four days ago, I can't believe some of the stuff you folks create. And I'm shocked this machine can pull it off. Just... wow factor X100. I'm loser obsessed with it Smile

Anyway, I just wanted to say, I added a noise gate and nord filter set to HP in the beginning of the chain and added a wet/dry mix at the end. It works great. Im running an ESX1 through it and the gate makes for some nice variation on the triggering of the effect.

BUT... on the way to work today I got to thinking... which is usually terrible... I remembered being shocked at how much of a cycle hog the patch is. Which got me to thinking of ways to lessen it. So pitch shifting came to mind and it works... sort of.

I kept the first string oscillator and replaced the others with pitch shifters and with proper level tweaking and HP filter at the top of the chain it actually pulls it off. And its running at 65.9 cycles and 21.0 memory. That gives a little more room for extra processing. With that I can use a comb filter instead of the nord filter, which makes for some very different yet pleasant sounds, and... it wont choke and die Smile

It doesn't sound as bright and... alive? As five string oscillators but its a pretty decent knock off. I might try and use two string oscillators and see if that makes it a little more convincing. A fake Rolex is still a damn nice looking watch Wink

Either way, you are a genius for even thinking to use the string oscillator like this. Cheers! And another cheer to Mother Misty for adapting it well in a performance.

Not yet. (2 years in)

Smile

EDIT : Great mp3s Tombola, not heard these before. Smile Might have dig this patch out.

Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger wrote:
dNRML wrote:
(...)

Not yet. (2 years in)

Smile

For the most of my professional musical career, the time cycles for buying, using and ultimately selling equipment were 2 years, at the most. My needs are very specific and I run into walls or get dissatisfied very quickly. Buying and selling and buying and selling was surely fun from the G.A.S.-perspective, but rather costly.

I bought my G2s in 2004. I have been using nothing else for five years. Doesn't mean I wasn't often pissed off during this time by various shortcomings and bugs. But up to now I ultimately always ended up finding a workable way around them. I wanted elastic audio and granular synthesis -I eventually built it. I wanted user-definable additive wavetables -I eventually built it. Actually, this has become a fun challenge in itself: "Will I get this nailed after all?" And even if I don't, I'll surely have learned something worthwile from battling with the problem.

Five years ago, I was still patching sawtooths into lowpass filters. It's been a long way from there. The G2 took me on a vast journey, into the understanding of synthesis and algorithm design. For me, it has been a thrilling and absolutely priceless experience, and one that has deeply shaped my personal development as a musician.

And as long as this is still the case, I'm most happy to hitch the ride, again and again. I've been consiering moving on to computer-driven platforms this year, but up to now I haven't found anything that comes close to the immediacy, stability(!) and just sheer overall usefulness of the G2. Reaktor is way not as immediate to use, and crashed on me a few times in my home-studio, producing ear- and speaker-destroying noise! Shocked. So it's has fouled out as a contender for live use (which I do mainly). I don't want to have legal consequences from audiences with injured hearing. And I just bought some softsynths that don't seem to like my rackmount quad-core PC and produce denormal glitches and just overall instabilities. I've lost confidence in the computer-approach for live use.

My G2s are here to stay. They have totally cured me from any G.A.S.. That being said, I'll still probably pick up some more more immediate "knobby" synths this year. But for purely rational reasons, to fill some gaps. The Nord Wave looks a great deal more interesting since the newest OS update, which has considerably expanded the oscillator section features. We'll see.

cheers,
tim
dNRML

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim,

I found myself nodding and saying yep reading your comment. Ive switched to hardware now for the very same reasons. Stability and live use. I love Reaktor, its really usefull, and Im mad crazy for its sample modules but the stability is poor at best. Its just not reliable for anything outside of studio work. And even then the crashes really put a damper on the creative drive.

I once spent two weeks preparing a sample drum machine ensemble to use for a live show. It was working fine and so much fun to play with. I had it set up for my controllers, only to have my laptop decide that it wasn't really an application during setup at the venue. Nothing more sad than tucking your tail between your legs and packing up to go home and trouble shoot.

And I wont even start on the problems with audio interface troubles, drivers, other vsts, DAW updates that completely change your older files, hard drive funerals, corrupted back-ups... It has been 9 years of torment. I just got sick of it. So much so that Im wondering if I even want to use my laptop for sequencing. Right now Im thinking its main jobs will be recording and editing audio. I can say its more than likely never going on stage again. Its just sad that so much potential can't be reliable. At least for me. Ive had a couple of shows where things actually worked, but the stress was still there. Each mouse click, every controller tweak could spell doom. Not fun at all.

With that, I really wish there was more selection for sample based gear. The wave looks nifty, but not enough to really grab me. I think Id have to play with one for a bit, and its a little too big for me. Im not even close to being a real keyboard player. And for the price, Id rather dump my money into a Symbolic Sound Paca. Id love to control one with the G2. It IS a computer but apparently its rock solid, and its full on capable of blowing minds. Smile

If only there was a Nord Modular Sampler... Sadly, the market for instruments with complex levels of control is not enough to make it happen. Reaktor seems to get a little closer to getting shelved every year. There just isn't enough nerds with wire fetishes.

Oh well, Im happy with my setup now. G2, Micro Modular (which started the addiction), ESX1, KP3 (its now my "make my nord sound like garbage" box) and a Micron that I want to try and patch a reasonable control interface for... gods its not as bad as a wavestation but close enough!

Anyway, its good to know you guys are still in love with this synth so many years later. I can totally understand why.

Sorry for the thread jack!
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Audio In
Jump to: