electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
Event ASP 8 - Active Studio Monitors
Page 2 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THX. Yes, will definitively write more reviews. I am working on some new ones right now.

Re the Genelec and Mackie emails I got, it seems that it is extremely important to justify certain kinds investments. However, I am convinced that one should accept the fact that there is always better gear out there.. or different gear .. or whatever. It is almost impossible to make a buying decision on reviews alone.
Personally I am not quite happy with the "big" Mackies and even less happy with certain Genelec models. This doesn´t mean that these products are useless or even bad. I can certainly understand why some would choose the Mackies or the Genelcs. Certain genres/production styles will never really reveal the lesser sides ( IMO ) of say the Mackies. The same can be said of the KRKs. Perhaps one can assume that these products have been tuned to sound pleasing for certain potential customers?

Quote:
have narrowed my personal search down to the Event ASP8's and Dynaudio BM15A. Like you, my compositions of choice are good classical and jazz music, yet I do venture into progressive rock and electronic as well. I love hybrid music! Thus I found your review to be even more poignant as we both tend to look for "real bass" in our music, which seems to be overlooked creatively in todays music.

I am sure any of these two would be excellent for you right now.
As for the Dyns being better in the bass department.. perhaps.. or perhaps they are simply slightly different if you see what I mean. I haven´t yet decided if the "detail" is harmonic artifacts or not. It s damned hard to say. As for the highs.. I called this an "edge" which isn´t "clarity" in my book. Both the Events and the Dyns have clarity. They both have this quality of letting you listen into the mix. However, still being different from each other, they both have some of the same depth and feel ( spatially and sonically ) to the mids. I think this is an important issue and it is quite easy to become totally anal about this. Try spending a weekend with the Dyns and the Events. Then check out the Mackie HR-824s. There is clearly a difference. It can be argued that too much detail/depth/clarity might be counterproductive when producing certain popular styles of music. Well.. I won´t go there. You know where I am coming from. Cool

Uh.. one issue.. pretty much all "small" "tuned reflex" monitors that go as deep as the ASP8s will produce wind noise artifacts from the ports. This is not a problem at all unless you hit the port/vent resonance at a fairly high volume. When you get this effect then in most cases your mix will have HUUUGE problems on consumer boxes. The only way to get around this "problem" is by designing speakers that in most cases will be really huge. You would need a large room too.

It is vital too understand that the main point of speakers like the ASP8s is NOT the 30 - 33 hz where the port will go whoooom.. but rather the fact that the octaves above are being reproduced fairly well.

A completely different product is the Blue Sky System One 2.1. Here we have two closed chambers and one sub. The main monitors have a very well designed bass rolloff and if skillfully placed then the sub will add the bass you need. being closed chambers the bass won´t go boom or whooom if the cabinet is well damped and the drivers are decent. Instead you will get a very pleasing rolloff. There are however issues with using a mono sub when tracking and mixing. Obvious phase/distortion issues in the lower bass might be masked by a satellite/mono sub system.

The Blue Sky System One 2.1 is definitively cool, but not for everyone.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I almost forgot..

LGK_Dude ! welcome

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Event ASP 8 - Active Studio Monitors Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LGK_Dude wrote:
..I'm currently looking for monitors for my own composition studio,..

This is in fact a fairly important point in this context. You will want to know what you are recording and "neutral" and "analytic" will be what you want. Both the Dyns and the Events will do just fine, but I am sure you will want to buy more monitors later on. I am not thinking about actual replacements but more like "different" in order to check mixes on. A pair of Yamaha MSP5s will be just fine. Very Happy And even a boombox or two will be great to have around. I still think that very concept of "mixes that translate" is partly mythological. The best we can hope for is a mix that works well on various playback gear and that this mix has few serious issues.

Hmm.. I have friends who only play music on some miniscule consumer plastic thnigies with "loudness", "super turbo sub bass", "amazing virtual surround" and "3D stadium backburner" all activated. Even a decent classic Verve remastered CD reissue will sound like mosquitos having intercourse in Barbra Streisand´s nose on those abominations.
Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
James Steele

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wanted to say I enjoyed your review... and even more so have enjoyed these monitors as I just purchased a pair yesterday and have been thrilled. Heretofore I had been mixing on Event 20/20p monitors which I purchased accidentally due to someone cleverly wording an eBay ad to make it sound like they were selling the bas model. The p model has one monitor which contains two amps-- one that powers itself and the other that drives a passive satellite 20/20. Both monitors have a passive crossovers as a result and are not biamped.

Any way, I am in love with these monitors and for the first time I am making mixes in my home studio that right off the bat are translating well to the outside world. I can actually TRUST them instead of having to learn their deficiencies and compensate for them. I agree with what you wrote about NS10Ms. I have a pair with a Hafler amp and I use them only to check mixes from time to time to see what they sound like on crummy speakers.

I'm also doing rock music, and even thoug some amps might have a more ROCK sound, as you point out, that's amusing for tracking, but I feel my rock mixes benefit from have a smoother less in your face sound. It seems that even though these monitors sound great... I still get a nice reward when I hear a mix on a consumer system with that smile curve often built in. It's nice to have mixes that sound really good in my studio and find that in some ways they sound even better out in the "real world"!

Great article... great site... and I'm loving Precision 8s!!!!

James Steele
http://www.jamessteele.com
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome James. Enjoy your new monitors and thanks for the positive feedback.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey James! Nice to have you here!

You have a cool website! Guitars!!

welcome

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Capsunica

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: ASP 8 are Fantastic Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone,

GREAT ASP 8 REVIEW!!!!

I listened to a pair of ASP8 and I have to say that they sound fantastic. Compared to Event's older model the TR series, the SP are light years away.
Just one question.
Will you get any radio station on them? I know people that have the TR8 from Event and they listen to the Radio.
If you wont't have problems with radio, then, in my oppinion they worth every penny, and the Dynaudio don't worth the price/quality rapport, when you have ASP8 out there.
Capsunica
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well designed audio equipment will be relatively immune to Radio Frequency Interference (RFI). I don't know if the Event company made some products that were too sensitive to this problem or not, but if one is very close to a radio transmitter, you can pick up the station on your audio gear, even if it is well made.

Long autio cables are antennas to radio frequency signals. I have visited many studios and other audio installations where unbalanced lines are used. If you don't live near an RF transmitter, then you won't notice a problem, but if you do hear radio stations leaking thorugh, the first thing to do is switch to balanced cables. Another thing to check is weak or corroded connectors. Finally, RF can get in via the power cords. You can get rid of this problem by wrapping the cord around ferrite rods or cores.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Capsunica

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much for the wonderful tips!!!
I do have some antenas on the building next to my appartment. I don't know if they are Radio antenas or mobile GSM antenas or other antenas. I do have on my block of flats some TV antenas. I hope that all those antenas close to my appartment (I live at the top flor) will not affect the monitors that I want to buy, Event ASP 8.
Thank you very much once again!
Any other oppinions or tips are very much welcomed!
Capsunica
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you do not have problems hearing radio interference with the gear that you now have, then you will most probably be OK with the new monitors. Most probably, the antennas near your building are UHF or VHF stations that rarely cause interference problems with audio equipment.

If you get your new monitors and you have problems, let us know and we will try to help you resolve them. Several members here are radio amateurs and we have a lot of experience. If you do have problems, you might post some photos of the antennas; we can probably come up with a good guess about what they are used for.

Capsunica

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I work perfectly on my monitors.
You are right, if those old monitors are OK, then the new ones shouldn't have any problems.
Thank you so much!
Capsunica
josephlevie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know that this is an old forum, but, if elektro80 is still an active user of this speaker/monitor and wouldn't mind a few questions about the technical aspects of this speaker...

My audio interface is a MOTU 828 (mark 1). I did some kind of mod years ago so that the main volume knob on the 828 has no effect and the volume is only controlled by Digital Performer.

I recently switched from having the input sensitivity set to full maximum and virtual master fader in DP kept low to the input sensitivity at nine o'clock and master fader at 0 (-6) at a reasonable listening level (70 dB or so).

This still sounds good, but, now I'm noticing that the green lights on the front of the speaker blink when louder sound events occur. Am I over loading the input? Am I better off with the amp higher and fader lower or somewhere between?

While my mixes are really nice, I am also having some translation problems with bass frequencies. Everything sounds great on the speakers and my masters are even sounding slightly shrill on the ASP8s, but, sounds very bassy (not muddy exactly, but, duller with much less sheen or air) when listened to on car speakers and boom boxes.

I currently have the HF Trim set to 0 and the LF Trim set to +2 dB. If anything, I would think that I should have the opposite problem.

With just this little information to go on, what do you think I should try to offset this problem with Trim settings? Boosting the LF further and cutting the HF?

What is the High Pass used for? I would assume it's to cut the signals below 80 Hz when you're using the sub. Is that correct?

I apologize in advance if these are dumb questions, but, I've been using these for tracking and mixing for years and only recently starting mastering with them and I'm getting frustrated with the translation results. My masters are sounding good on the Events, but, bad in cars and crappy systems. My reference commercial recordings are also sounding good on the Events and are holding up, so, it could be other issues, but, I'd like to rule out the speaker settings if I can.

Thank you for any light you shed.

Joe
Page 2 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
Jump to: