electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Does anyone know how to configure 2 NICS in XP ?
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know how to configure 2 NICS in XP ? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a wireless NIC in one machine running XP Media Center to connect to the internet. it works fine.

When I enable the wired NIC on the motherboard, it disables the wireless NIC.

I want to use the wired NIC to do backups to another machine with a wired NIC.

Can someone explain how to do this in XP ?

thanks
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, didn´t I once say something about using XP is like driving a car from the trunk?

I am sure this can be set up just fine, but XP isn´t really an OS where you can configure standard stuff like that in a straightforward way. First of all I reckon you need a mean machete in order to cut down the very helpful assistants that will keep popping up whenever you move your ass in the wrong direction. Shocked

Anyways, I am sure this can be done in XP. Jan??

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THis is definitely doable, and Windows should also let you share your wireless internet connection with the second PC also, if you so desire. Of course, I'm using Windows XP Pro, and assume you are too, since I don't have any knowledge of XP Home, or it's limitations.

1st, go to COntrol Panel > Network Connections. You should see all your NICs there, including any 1394/Firewire devices you have. It'll also tell you your firewall status on those ports. Make sure both are enabled (right click > enable/disable).

To allow the 2nd PC access to the internet, right click on a NIC, and select "Bridge COnnections". Acts like a thru-port on your NIC. (also referred to as Internet Connection Sharing in the Properties menu). Likewise, if you want this PC secured from the internet, make sure any Bridge Connections or sharing is disabled.
cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
THis is definitely doable, and Windows should also let you share your wireless internet connection with the second PC also, if you so desire. Of course, I'm using Windows XP Pro, and assume you are too, since I don't have any knowledge of XP Home, or it's limitations.

1st, go to COntrol Panel > Network Connections. You should see all your NICs there, including any 1394/Firewire devices you have. It'll also tell you your firewall status on those ports. Make sure both are enabled (right click > enable/disable).

To allow the 2nd PC access to the internet, right click on a NIC, and select "Bridge COnnections". Acts like a thru-port on your NIC. (also referred to as Internet Connection Sharing in the Properties menu). Likewise, if you want this PC secured from the internet, make sure any Bridge Connections or sharing is disabled.

I don't want to let the 2nc pC (laptop) access the internet thru the desktop machine. I only want to be able to copy files from machine to machine, but across the wired lan.

The Laptop already has a wireless NIC, and has the same problem as the desktop: When I plug in a WIRED NIC, the wireless NIC looses connectivity to the internet.
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know very little on this subject so I would ask the others to confirm this , but when connecting 2 pcs like that , the ethernet cable wiring you want is not standard (yes I just looked it up via search engine our friend) it is called a crossover cable. . As for loosing the wifi connection when u plug in ... not sure about that.
cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jason wrote:
I know very little on this subject so I would ask the others to confirm this , but when connecting 2 pcs like that , the ethernet cable wiring you want is not standard (yes I just looked it up via search engine our friend) it is called a crossover cable. . As for loosing the wifi connection when u plug in ... not sure about that.

You are correct. But the wired nics I'm using are connected through an ethernet switch, so that takes care of the need for a crossover cable.

The problem is much more fundamental than this though.
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 143
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When enabling one interface disables the other that looks most like a hardware issue / sharing problem.

On this (toshiba running xp pro) I can have both the wired and the wireless interface enabled simultaneously, but I didn't go into the details as to what interface would be used for file and printer sharing and what interface would be used for intenet access.

( I can see a potential binding issue of services to network cards, but it seems solvable judging the options - like disabling TCP/IP on one card and disabling file/printer sharing on the other. )

cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
When enabling one interface disables the other that looks most like a hardware issue / sharing problem.

It's not an DMA/IRQ problem (like in the ISA days)- I should have stated "I loose internet connectivity with the wireless NIC, when I enable or try to configure the wired nic.

I think it's more of a subnet conflict, but this is an area I don't know well.
I've tried setting each NIC on the dekstop machine to different subnets- but I may have goofed.
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, can't try that here and now, got no accesible wireless router (all my neighbours use passwords Shocked )
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. in your case I imagine you should try to set up that internet sharing thingie. That will probably work OK. That will solve the IP and subnet stuff.
I imagine MS has allowed for making the computer that does the sharing visible itself on the LAN side.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
I think it's more of a subnet conflict, but this is an area I don't know well.
I've tried setting each NIC on the dekstop machine to different subnets- but I may have goofed.

Let the wireless NIC be the WAN side and the other one be the LAN side. Turn on internet sharing. Let your laptop deliver the IP addies for the LAN.
Then turn on filesharing and see what you get.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You don´t have to know a thing about subnets in this case. If you want you can probably download some opensource router but I don´t think you need to take it that far. Your needs here aren´t stellar. You simply want to move some files.. right?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Well.. in your case I imagine you should try to set up that internet sharing thingie. That will probably work OK. That will solve the IP and subnet stuff.
I imagine MS has allowed for making the computer that does the sharing visible itself on the LAN side.

I'm not trying to share the internet connection.
The laptop already has a wireless nic to access the internet, but also suffers from the same problem. When the wired nic is enabled, the internet connection stops working on the wireless nic
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And what happens when you un-bind / remove TCP/IP from the wired NIC and "file and printer sharing" from the wireless ?
brinxmat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should use the bridge as jksuper* says: it acts to turn on both cards.
DrJustice

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I took the liberty of moving this thread to "Windows as a music workstation".

DJ
--
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
I took the liberty of moving this thread to "Windows as a music workstation".

DJ
--

That´s swell, but please don´t forget the babyoil.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I have wired and wireless running on the same machine. JK has it right with the bridging. I don't know your setup, but you may need to assign a static IP to the wired ports.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
And what happens when you un-bind / remove TCP/IP from the wired NIC and "file and printer sharing" from the wireless ?

Sorry for the late response., but I would still like to get this working.
On which machine? Desktop or laptop?

I haven't tried this yet.
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Jump to: