electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 LCD Replacement
Page 1 of 2 [47 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
T7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: G2 LCD Replacement Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Anyone know if the G2 LCD's require soldering?
slave to this

G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

funny this gets mentioned....

i just noticed the other day that the lcd for my "master clock" and "voice mode" section was flickering. i have never seen it do it this before and thought that maybe it just had something to do with the amount of voices i had assigned to a particular patch....am i wrong? is it crapping out on me?
T7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

slave to this wrote:
funny this gets mentioned....

i just noticed the other day that the lcd for my "master clock" and "voice mode" section was flickering. i have never seen it do it this before and thought that maybe it just had something to do with the amount of voices i had assigned to a particular patch....am i wrong? is it crapping out on me?

If the screen flickers on just the one patch, I would say it's not defective.
T7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: G2 LCD Replacement Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

T7 wrote:
Hi,

Anyone know if the G2 LCD's require soldering?

Surely someone knows the answer to this.
monobass

G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

T7 have you opened it up and looked?

I opened mine up to install the expansion and it's all very neat in there and generally easy to see what is going on.

If you want help you need to give info.

T7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

_ Steve _ wrote:
T7 have you opened it up and looked?

I opened mine up to install the expansion and it's all very neat in there and generally easy to see what is going on.

If you want help you need to give info.

It's brand new. I don't want to remove the controller board unless I know I can replace an lcd without soldering. If soldering is required I'm returning it for a new G2. I've tried asking Nord USA but they don't know, and Clavia seems to be on vacation. Any help appreciated.

I'm not sure what info you need. Either you know the answer or you don't. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by T7 on Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
monobass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why would you not return it immediately if it is brand new anyway?
A fauly LCD might be a symptom of something far worse under the hood.
These are very reliable bits of hardware so this is out of the ordinary.

T7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone? Sad
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with Steve. If it is brand new, you should contact someone about warranty repair or exchange. I haven't heard of anything that makes the LCD flicker.

Can you indicate which patch flickers? If it is one of your own, maybe you could post it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
T7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I agree with Steve. If it is brand new, you should contact someone about warranty repair or exchange. I haven't heard of anything that makes the LCD flicker.

Can you indicate which patch flickers? If it is one of your own, maybe you could post it.

Thanks. I don't have a flickering problem, that was Slave To This.

On one LCD one of my side lights is very dim. On another LCD the viewing angle is way off so it's blurred, and strangley, it's discolored when the unit is turned off. So it appears to be poor quality control to me. If the LCD's just plug in I'm willing to replace them. But If soldering is required forget it, I'll return it to the dealer for a replacement.

Last edited by T7 on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
T7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone know if soldering is required to replace an LCD on the G2??? Smile
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've never had mine open. If I had, I probably wouldn't have looked at this specific detail. I would try for a swap back at the shop.
monobass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

T7 wrote:
On one LCD one of my side lights is very dim. On another LCD the viewing angle is way off so it's blurred, and strangley, it's discolored when the unit is turned off. So it appears to be poor quality control to me. If the LCD's just plug in I'm willing to replace them. But If soldering is required forget it, I'll return it to the dealer for a replacement.

So you're willing to void your warranty to solve a simple issue that could be a symptom of a much larger problem? What if you void your warranty, plug a new LCD in and the problem is still there?...

Do you live in a room with soft walls by any chance? Wink

T7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

_ Steve _ wrote:
T7 wrote:

So you're willing to void your warranty to solve a simple issue that could be a symptom of a much larger problem? What if you void your warranty, plug a new LCD in and the problem is still there?...

Do you live in a room with soft walls by any chance? Wink

I would of course make sure it would not void the warranty before doing it. Wink

Do me a favor Steve, save your snide comments for someone else. I don't need your advice unless you can actually answer my original question.
Do you have too much time on your hands by chance?
monobass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Even installing the expansion yourself voids the warranty in theory.
T7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

_ Steve _ wrote:
Even installing the expansion yourself voids the warranty in theory.

Piss off.
monobass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good luck
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

T7 wrote:

I remember seeing a picture of the inside of the G2 on a website somewhere... but I can't remember where sorry. It was a site that had lots of info on the NM1, and a first look page of the G2, complete with under the hood pics. Black background if I recall correctly... Anyone know the site I'm talking about?

edit: here is is http://www.sequencer.de/clavia_synthesizer/clavia_g2_modular.html

You should really take the advice of the people who have already posted though and just return it and play for a swap. How long will that take, 30 mins? A much better option than turning into a psychopath over several days because no one knows the answer to your question.

Last edited by Afro88 on Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
T7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:
T7 wrote:

I remember seeing a picture of the inside of the G2 on a website somewhere... but I can't remember where sorry. It was a site that had lots of info on the NM1, and a first look page of the G2, complete with under the hood pics. Black background if I recall correctly... Anyone know the site I'm talking about?

You should really take the advice of the people who have already posted though and just return it and play for a swap. How long will that take, 30 mins? A much better option than turning into a psychopath over several days because no one knows the answer to your question.

If you don't know the answer please don't post. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by T7 on Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just trying to help mate Rolling Eyes
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Brand new synths should work flawlessly, if they don't I agree you should demand a new one; after all, you paid for a working synth and so should receive one.

I seem to remember the LCD's are soldered in, those are just standard parts and attached to the controler cerquit board. Soldering in a replacement yourself would not be fun and it's not especially interesting either, I would just avoid that if there is any other way but hey; it's your synth, you paid for it so you can do whatever you want to it as far as I'm concerned.

The one exception would be if the local repair facility have a bad rep or are slow and you can diagnose the problem yourself (it could for example be a bad soldering link?).

Opening modulars up is easy, so is putting them back together, noharm in looking. If you leave traces on the screws and people talk about the waranty later you can tell them a internal screw got loose while traveling; this happens.

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey T7, chill Smile

Looking at the picture in the linked to article from www.sequencer.de above, the following can be observed:

The pin rows above the cutouts for the LCD modules can be seen. It looks like the PCBs of the LCD modules are resting on top of the front panel PCB with no space for a connector body. So it seems like they're soldered in place.

DJ
--
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah... Kassen hello welcome beat me to it there.

So now it's established with at least some degree of probability that they're soldered. I guess it's back to the shop then?

DJ
--
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
Hey T7, chill Smile

I'd like to second this. Neither soldering nor talking to service counters combines well with getting agrivated.

That being said, remarks about soft walls aren't especially productive in problem solving either. I think Steve meant that as a lighthearted joke but I can see how it made T7 upset.

Big pasionate disagreements are almost unavoidable in artisitc matters like music but the proper way to deal with flickering LCD displays doesn't realy sound like one of those to me.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
Ah... Kassen hello welcome beat me to it there.

So now it's established with at least some degree of probability that they're soldered. I guess it's back to the shop then?

Yeah, I'm quite sure of it (opened my own NM a few times). There's not that much space there, sockets would add cost and they wouldn't serve any purpose; I think nearly all companies simply solder them in.

Anyway, I personally would go back. With a steady hand and patience you could replace a part like that yourself but unless but there is no guarantee it's in the part itself and not somewhere in the controling structure.

If T7isn't the sort of person who goes "hmmm, what might that be?" and screws it open before asking for advice (which he clearly isn't and that's fine) then I think it's best to go back. There are better places then diagnosing LCD displays in new expensive synths to start out in DIY repairs....

Page 1 of 2 [47 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: