electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Thinking about finaly getting a modular, a few questions
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
peripatitis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Thinking about finaly getting a modular, a few questions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi
I am thinking of buying my first modular synth but there are a few issues that trouble me.
Having an abrupt career change recently i went to the university again to study computer music so i have been working with modulars for almost two years now covering the bases, on the other hand being away from my studio space is a big issue for me.

Under this view the cwejman seems like a good idea, i am thinking perhaps of starting with a basic s1 system and later when i am back in the studio building a bigger system around this adding more control and processing modules.
From what i see i would propably have to rely with this system mostly on midi control propably with maxmsp,since i don't see any control modules on the system.
Are there any users with successful stories doing so ?

There two things that puzzle me however and somebody could help me out.

First of all i see that there these two formats around frac and euro.
Do these have anything to do with space that the modulars occupy ?
or do those formats differ in voltage control specs ?

And the second has to do with a personal preference of banana cables which unfortunately isn't the format used by cwejman.

Do you think that there is an alternative solution from other modular synth companies in terms of 'space preservation ' ?

Thanks for any help
G
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For space and money conservation, consider getting a Nord Modular G2. I cut my teeth on analog modular synths. I still have the Moog Modular I bought new in 1972. Just played it yesterday as a matter of fact. (I rarely use it).

The G2 is like a giant wall of modular equipment with out the scratchy pots, noisy connectors, fixed layout, hum, noise and drift - not to mention it has polyphony, patch memory, and much more.

Still, real modulars have their own special charm and attraction, especially if you like to build DIY modules to patch into the signal flow. To me, they main advantage for analog modulars is that you don't control them with 128 step MIDI quantized signals. If you are planning to use MIDI to control your modular setup, then that advantage goes away.

On real modular gear, I like banana plugs because you can stack them and they generally make quieter connections. They last a long time. Next is 1/4" phone plugs and then 1/8" mini plugs. The little minis wear out quickly and start crapping out. Try playing an old Buchla modular system, the intermittent mini plug connections will drive you nuts.

There is always the trade off with form factor, lots of small format modules vs. not so many large format ones. IMHO, you want big modules with knobs that are easy to grab and turn while you are playing. I like the original Moog form factor which is still used by Synthesizers.com and others.

If you get your modular gear as kits, then you will have an easier time maintaining it because you will be very familiar with its insides. Maintenence is a very significant aspect if you want to keep your gear for more than just a few years.

One more think. I like to go out and gig. With my G2X, I can pack up and carry my entire kit in one case. Setup and tear down takes about 10 minutes. On an analog modular, it takes a lot more time to make one patch - which never comes out the same way twice.

Just my opinion... It's a very personal thing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
J3RK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Frac and Euro formats are the two major small formats. (well, you could include Buchla too but...) Most Frac modules are made in the US, and most (though I'm seeing more US modules,) of Euro modules come from oddly enough, Europe. Smile Both formats have some excellent modules available. I chose Frac, because many of the more exotic modules that I wanted (like Wiard) are available in this format. Also Blacet makes excellent quality, easy to build kits, for quite a discount from their assembled modules. (an inexpensive way to get your core system built) You can't really go wrong with either format. I've seen many people make their decision based on location (easier, less shipping/duty, etc.)

There are more formats though than just these two. Some larger formats include DotCom, MOTM, Wiard (series 300, though these are expensive and rare now,) Modcan (A series is smaller with banana jacks, B series is larger with 1/4" jacks,) Curetronic, Serge (these come in full panels,) and more. There are more, but these are the modern formats. There are other vintage formats, and some like Technosaurus that don't seem to be around anymore.

Most of these formats have multiple manufacturers making modules for them, and you really can't go wrong with any of them from what I've seen. You can mix and match too. Most of them seem to have 19" rack cages for their modules, so if you use a big rack, you can put multiple formats in them.

I'd start off with a good core set of modules from one company, and then build on that. I think your Cwejman idea is a pretty good one. The S1 would make a nice base system. The quality I've heard is top-notch. They just started making Euro format modules too, so you'd be able to expand with the same brand, and then branch out into the rest as well.
peripatitis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys and thanks for all your help.

Mosc :the G2 idea is propably the most 'sane' way to go with this, i have been thinking it for quite sometime however i cannot bring myself into buying it.
I know it's advantages and i have played with it a lot, there are however two things that make me stay away.

First of all the sound, and this is a personal thing and not an analog 'purist ' approach.
I find that there is a certain character in all clavia synths which although i liked for many years (my first and most used synthesizer was the NL2) i am too used to it .
I perceive it as a sound quality 'signature' which whatever i do it is always there.Actually if i wanted to stay within the computer i find tassman more into my liking.

And the second has to do with my everyday musical practice, i have been for many years now relying on computers basically programming music with maxmsp , csound e.t.c

When i started using hardware again and specifacly modular synths i thought at the beginning that i was quite 'over' them, too many limitations
a very specific way of approaching sound synthesis e.t.c
However at the same time , perhaps of the physicality involved or because of the limited visual feedback i found that i could come up with really interesting stuff that i would never do on a computer.
It was as if i was on a different frame of mind and this is what basically drew my attention in modular synthesis.

Regarding midi control, it is propably not the best idea but i thought of it as a short time solution.
Since space is an issue for me at this point, the cwejman modules seemed like a good compromise.
On the other hand i haven't seen any of their modules to offer specific control elements, not even the basics sample and hold, flip flops e.t.c and i don't even know whether they intend to build modules like that.

The truth is that besides a magazine review, some user testimonials and a few mp3's i don't have any experience with cwejman and if i were to find for example the wiard modules or any other to be as small as his i would propably build a small system around their modules.

J3RK :thanks for the clarification of the frac and euro formats, indeed you pinpointed something which i had not considered.
Dealing with customs is not always the best of experiences and since i live in europe i should propably build something around the euro format.

In any case this is something i plan to do after the summer so there is enough time, i hope to think it through.

Thanks again for your valuable thoughts
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Instruments are very personal. You have to go with what best expresses your personality. Sounds like you have thought a lot about it. I'll be interested in seeing what you finally get, and even more interested in hearing your music. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about finaly getting a modular, a few questions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

peripatitis wrote:
First of all i see that there these two formats around frac and euro.
Do these have anything to do with space that the modulars occupy ?
or do those formats differ in voltage control specs ?

Euro Rack Modules work with +-12V.
The Frac Rac ones with +-15V.
The euro Racks and Frac Rac have the holes for fixing them at different positions.
As my information standing is (i have no frac Rac), one should be able to put frac Rac modules into a Doepfer.
But it needs a +-15V supply.
I'm not shure about if you need to drill new holes into the modules or if the Problem is only, that you get free space between Euro and Frac Rac. ( i think its the second one).

After making lots of questions in the german synthesizerforum.de, i came to the conclusion that its the best to not only set on one Manufacturer.
I did so from the beginning, and it was the the best decision i could do.
peripatitis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky : thanks for your info
i was thinking that i could perhaps use my regelwerk to generate cv and try to control whatever modular i end up with.
I am not aware of its cv specs.

Do you think that this difference in volts have anything to do with the control resolution ?
To put it differently would a +- 15v offer a greater detail in control voltage ?
And a last thing, is it possible to communicate between different format modules ?

mosc :thanks and i'll try to post something soon, although it seems these days that i can make myself to complete any pieces.

cheers
P
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

peripatitis wrote:
And a last thing, is it possible to communicate between different format modules ?

I have in the moment a mixed System,
and i have no situation where i have Problems.
I did so from the begin without any Knowledge about this Things. (in the Moment i have Modules from 3 Brands + the Semtex Synth)

This Voltage thing is a big Question for me too, but finally al Manufacturers are giving good Infos on their site.

I only know that the Blacet VCA is working with 10V, but this can be changed easy.
( But for example i don't know if the ENV then also needs to have 10V.)

I just know that what can be confusing when thinking about, must not make any difficulty in praxis.
High Levels can allways be attenuated and low ones amplified.

To the other questions i can't say something.
peripatitis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks funky , you are propably right i should first take the plunge and then figure things out.

cheers
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: