electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Finished: vco vc-waveshaper arraived at the front! Schematic
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [36 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry Zip,
you lost me about six posts ago! Good luck though.

zipzap

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I´m sorry i lost you! What happened? You always bring up great idas.
I´m thinking of somehow modding this schematic for my needs.
It´s supposed to run on 15v, i use 12, and it´s said to limit everything from 1,8v on.
I guess since i´m dealing with a symetric wave i don´t need that fancy recitifer, just 2 buffers a diode, cab and resistor. I´ll see if it works.

otalim03.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.19 KB
 Viewed:  580 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

otalim03.gif

zipzap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did it! Will write schematic later, i can tell you now that is has to do with vactrols and needs a lot of trimming.
I was happy when i finaly saw a triangle morpfing into a almost square with the amplitude staying at 5vpp!
Here are two examples of how it sounds. Not very musically ones but you´ll get the point. The VCO is recorded directly through a VCA. The first example starts with a sequence beeing modded by an lfo from tri to square. later the second sequencer row is faded in making some of the notes more sawish.
The second short one uses more saw and sounds silly.
I added some virtual cathedral to make it nicer to listen to.
If you listen to these please tell me that all of this was worth the efford Wink

morpfingvco.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  morpfingvco.mp3
 Filesize:  1.39 MB
 Downloaded:  994 Time(s)

morpfingvco2.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  morpfingvco2.mp3
 Filesize:  306.37 KB
 Downloaded:  959 Time(s)

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
If you listen to these please tell me that all of this was worth the efford

It was. Nice work, ZipZap!!

Cheers,
Scott
Mikmo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool.

How does it sound if you sweep fast (or very fast) between the two waveforms ?

zipzap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I´ll add a sample soon. Not as good as slow modulation. The tri-square sounds best slowly fading, going sawish is best with a sequencer or envelope.
zipzap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok People: Here it is.
3 little circuits have to be build for the mod. The Saw offset circuit with (rough) amplitude compensation, the distortion vca for tri to square and the output limiter to keep the the output at one level.
2 Words first. It needs a lot of trimming, but not as much that it can´t be handled one by one.
Some of the values depend on the vactrols being used and the psu. I use lc-leds because 3* 20ma is 60ma and 3*2ma is 6ma for three bright leds.
Lets start with the first circuit. I post it again here to keep things together.

It´s basically opamp cv summing for the saw offset done by ic3-d on the august2003 vco. I added some limiting for the summed cv because if the manual pot and external cv add up too low or high the tri will turn into a wrong direction ramp or the saw will be squashed.
The first (inverting!) summing amp acts like a ideal diode, so cv can not go above 0.
Connect no cv and set the pot to ground. Now trim the pot at the right hand inverting summing amp till you see a perfect triangle. Use good trimmers!
Now turn the manual shape pot all the way to the right. The wave becomes a saw. If it is squashed use trimpot by the manual control pot till it just gives u a nice saw.
Now the middle trimmer with the diode can be set so that it just keeps a saw. Going too far will move things back to tri again. Now if the summed cv gets too high the part being too much will leave over the diode rather than squashing the saw. This is working more or less i must admit.
With the leddriver ldr thing on the output the amplitude can be compensated. It is too replace R25. At tri it should be double of R28 on the vco schem, at saw it has to be the same. This can be achieved by maybe changing R28 a bit and using a series resistor. In my case i trimmed the led so that the vactrol was between 80 and 175k so i just added another 25k in series. Done,

Next thing is to replace R15 going to the sineshaper with this vactrol vca. Leddriver is the same as above without the 100k trimmer going to +12v.
just adjust the gain trimmer till it can be swept from very silent triangle up to bright square.

The Limiter is a common design. I used a fullwave recitifier because changing to saw will add some offset and that can´t be handled by a simple diode. Actually now i think that a cab would do the trick, so a simple diode would work as well. Maybe better, saves some parts. I adjusted the gain trimpot after the rectifier and the led resistor till the light was always a bit bright and following well.
Now the first trimmer can be adjusted. It´s basically setting the threshold of the limiter until everything keeps the same level.
Have fun!

EDIT: The limiter can be made simpler. The last opamp isn´t needet. Just put the vactrol directly to the cab without the buffer. So now there is a free opamp for the wave output. Set it to give you the desired out-level. The whole mod then needs 8 opamps instead of 9, so basically the whole thing is 2 TL084, 3 vactrols, 4 transistors and a cab.

vc-tri-square-limit.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.05 KB
 Viewed:  10193 Time(s)

vc-tri-square-limit.jpg

vc-tri-saw.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.11 KB
 Viewed:  457 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

vc-tri-saw.jpg

Last edited by zipzap on Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:21 am; edited 2 times in total
zipzap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just rememberd: The PWM of the original vco will not work anymore like this because it´s using the tri-wave. Has to be hooked to the sawcore instead.
bigtex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It sure sounds cool. It's always nice to hear a more animated waveform, something dynamic that isn't just the exact same harmonic structure all the time. Keep the sound samples coming!

I'm afraid I've had a little trouble following the descriptions of all of your modifications and experimentation. Perhaps a single unified schematic, once you are done, would help illustrate what you have done a little better.
zipzap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'm afraid I've had a little trouble following the descriptions

I can belive that!
But actually all you need is that last post with the three schematics on two sheets and Rays Updated and Improved VCO.
The Points in my schematic like R15 or KM13700 or sine out refer to that vco.
Maybe one day i´ll learn how to make a homepage and present all my schematics in a nicer way.
I´ve improved the limiter, i´ll edit the above post.

Ok, here are some more sounds dealing with fast modulation, either by lfo or sequencer. The tri to square mod is vactrol driven, so i used a square lfo to mod it at high rates, anyway eventually it gets to fast and the vactrol can´t keep up.
Then there is a short sequence with osc-sync. Waveform is changed by hand.

sync.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  sync.mp3
 Filesize:  246.78 KB
 Downloaded:  901 Time(s)

fast tri-squ-squarelfo.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  fast tri-squ-squarelfo.mp3
 Filesize:  250.85 KB
 Downloaded:  939 Time(s)

fast tri-saw-sequ.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  fast tri-saw-sequ.mp3
 Filesize:  428.4 KB
 Downloaded:  966 Time(s)

bigtex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I got one of Ray's last PCBs from the previous version, unfortunately. I haven't built it yet, but I'm definitely going to use your mods. Maybe I'll buy one of the current ones to do your mods and come up with some of my own for the older version I have. I guess I should compare the board I have to the current version...

Anyway, thanks for posting this. I really like how the VCO sounds with your mods. That last sample sounds like the VCO is sick and dying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [36 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: