electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
analog waveforms
Page 2 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

peripatitis wrote:
Quote:

akaie wrote :
And because it is unlikely for software companies to make products that go steps back in technollogy

Well one can argue for the opposite, not to disregard obvious benefits from emulating 'analog' synthesis technology (accessibility to a wider user base , polyphony etc), one could easily see that software companies are indeed mostly concentrating on these older technologies.

It's really impossible to generalize, but I do it all the time...

Anyway, when synths went commercial in the 70s - Korg, Yamaha, Akai, etc. - I was personally very discouraged because many of the products were not intended as instruments for "electronic music", but for electronic emulators of existing instruments - drums, pianos, Rhodes, guitars, flutes, saxes, etc. Most synthesizers were used in pop bands or in little ensembles that played at weddings.

Maybe this is natural. The manufacturers want to see to the biggest market, and that is often the huge number of musicians who are using more conventional instruments. (Most musicians aren't trying to make original music, but rather music that is like something popular or that they otherwise admire.) This is probably the same reasoning the soft synth makers are using by making so many emulators of the old analog gear.

I don't think this is bad, it's just an observation.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
akaie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bigtex wrote:

I don't know what software you use, but if you want some more interesting waveforms, you could try what I do. I like to use Cool Edit (now Adobe Audition) because it has this great waveshaping effect. They call it distortion. Many other programs might have this effect.

Any ideas of howto make a sine look like this using waveshaping?
peripatitis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc: i am not saying that creating emulations is a bad thing as such, but then it is inevitable for us musicians to get into this game of comparison between the 'clones' and the real thing.

What i find interesting however is that the alternative view of synthesis offered by the programs i mentioned in my earlier post are quite cheap to acquire.
Thus although in the 60's-70's it was expensive to get gear of the latest technology (like modular synths etc) now the more advanced tools are cheap if not free.
And perhaps thats one of the reasons they are not so desirable.

A copy of pd, supercollider,csound is available to any one of us and in many ways they are way more powerful than any commercial product.
The only thing one needs to use them is patience and some studying, which i guess was also the case with people in the 70's entering the synthesizer scene.
And of course these can be used for any music genre (well almost).

As for the manufacturers indeed they are driven by the market, but at the same time we see companies try to mould the market into their plans, create and shape the consumer needs (this is by the way the weak point of capitalism but this is probably not the thread to start a philosophical discussion ).
peripatitis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well the only easy way i can think of is to draw it.

I am not using a lot of plugins but if i remember correctly you could draw waveshapes in Absynth and propably there are many other applications you could do that.

Any other way would propably require some degree of programming.
bigtex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

akaie wrote:

Yes, though with just that zoomed in screen shot I have to assume that every other cycle has a little offset like that. Does that wobble/offset repeat every other cycle?

If so, you could use the waveshaper to double the frequency. You'd create one distorted sine on the positive slope and the other distorted sine on the negative slope. That way every other cycle would be slightly different.

Another, likely simpler way to achieve it would be a very simple distortion on the sine, and then add in a low amplitude lower harmonic (fraction of the wave you are working on) or even another frequency. That looks like how that offset is being created, but in reality you'd probably never hear it. Spend some time listening to the weveforms you are looking at and try to get an idea of what kinds of differences you can and can't hear. Some things our ears just don't notice.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

akaie wrote:

OT but the basic shape shown looks like an FM wave.
akaie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually this is a pure sine from cool edit that I recorded in a crap tape deck
and then back to cool edit. The distortion that has been generated is really weird because its asymetric (left side different than rigth side). I ve seen this in other analog sources too. I dont understand how one could achieve this by waveshaping. I just discovered something great thought. If you mix a sinewave whith other sinewaves that are frequency of the first sine x2, x3, x4 (for example 200hz, 400hz, 600hz,800hz..) and so on with different amplitudes you can achieve every shape you want. Those are the only freqs you need all others will just create phasing. Its quite the reverse from waveshaping.
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

akaie wrote:
and then back to cool edit. The distortion that has been generated is really weird because its asymetric (left side different than rigth side). I ve seen this in other analog sources too. I dont understand how one could achieve this by waveshaping. I just discovered something great thought. If you mix a sinewave whith other sinewaves that are frequency of the first sine x2, x3, x4 (for example 200hz, 400hz, 600hz,800hz..) and so on with different amplitudes you can achieve every shape you want. Those are the only freqs you need all others will just create phasing. Its quite the reverse from waveshaping.

Well this certainly sounds interesting. I'm going to try that out. Of course, I KNOW I've seen and possibly even used a program to draw waveforms. I do it all the time with the 8-bit VSTis like:

Chip32
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/229.html

Rebar
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1334.html

It was some app for the Mac where you created one-cycle waveforms......geez...I'd recognize it if I saw it..... scratch

paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

opg wrote:
paul e. wrote:

mhh...which vst-i's ?...not that i doubt it..per se...but....really ?

I mentioned in another thread - YMVST, the freeware VSTi that supposedly emulates the Atari ST YM2149 sound chip. VERY big sound.

http://www.preromanbritain.com/ymvst/

I was also impressed by another free VSTi, MoCheese:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/773.html

ah ok...i thought you might have been talking about VST-i's that emulated analog synths

but i do dig those synths you referenced...especially Chip32

that is a real fun one

emulating old digital gear seems to work very well

peripatitis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

akaie:
This is actual the gist of fourier analysis and synthesis.In theory you can reproduce every natural sound by adding sinewaves
Try to mix only the odd multiples of the fundamental (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th etc) with decreasing amplitudes in which case you'll be making a square wave.
Even with only the first and third harmonic you'll notice the 'square' pattern.

With this technique indeed you can create a lot of periodic synthetic spectra.
Real life sounds however also include noise elements in which case you propably need at least 128 sinewaves to synthesize something believable.

Non integer multiples of the fundamental (ex 1.5 etc) are not changing the pitch of the sound but can create interesting effects like beating in the lower register (which i guess is what you mean by phasing).
These harmonics are very important in the 'color' of the sound (try adding some of these in the higher registry, ex above 1khz).

cheers
bigtex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

akaie wrote:

Yes. You are describing additive synthesis. Additive synthesis is combining sine waves which are harmonics of each other.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun00/articles/synthsec.htm

You may have heard of different types of distortion or signal paths having more or less "odd" or "even" harmonics. This is the same as adding in the 1st, 3rd, 5th, etc or the odd harmonics. Odd harmonics will create a square wave. See here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~j.blackstone/dist101.htm

Also, note that you can perform some simple additive synthesis right within the "Generate Tones" dialog in Audition.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
I've added in not just harmonics, but some sub-harmonics. In this case, the 0.5 sub-octave is low, and isn't doing much, but I just wanted to show that you're not limited to whole numbers. In fact, you could use numbers to represent waves that have no harmonic ralationship at all, just to see what happens. Try it. You can do quite a bit just with the options here.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
This is a fairly simple wave that would become a downward ramp wave with more harmonics added in. Just to show you how you can make an asymmetrical wave, really.

Then, just for kicks, try taking the output of this and use a little bit of distortion and see what you get. Experimentation will answer many of your questions, reading will likely answer the rest. There's a lot of good information out there on these subjects (i.e. methods of synthesis, wave-shapes derived from harmonic series, fourier analysis, etc).

Last edited by bigtex on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
ian-s

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crap tape decks also have frequency modulation effects like wow, flutter and maybe interraction with the bias ocsillator.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
Crap tape decks also have frequency modulation effects like wow, flutter and maybe interraction with the bias ocsillator.

Good ones do too... Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ian-s

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I was a kid, my cassette recorder did interesting things when recording on low batteries. The AGC seemed to divert power from the motor during loud peaks, causing interesting pitch envelopes on percussive sounds. I guess small amounts of this effect could cause subtle phase modulation.
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Once, when trying to compare the sound of the Moog filter to the Nord Modular filter, I was having a difficult time. I was playing a Moog sawtooth through the Moog filter and a NM sawtooth throught the NM filter. They sounded much more different than I thought they should. It turns out that the Moog sawtooth is is quite different from an ideal sawtooth. There are many artifacts. The NM is more "ideal". Turns out, the oscilators sounds more different than the filters. (I wouldn't suggest which sounds better). Anyhow, to do the comparison I had to use the same oscilator.

Please post wavefile samples of your Moog Modular VCO!

varice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Analog Waveform Samples Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are some waveform samples from my MG-1.

MG-1 Tone Source One Saw.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  MG-1 Tone Source One Saw.wav
 Filesize:  122.35 KB
 Downloaded:  1487 Time(s)

MG-1 Tone Source One Pulse.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  MG-1 Tone Source One Pulse.wav
 Filesize:  123.21 KB
 Downloaded:  1520 Time(s)

MG-1 Tone Source Two Pulse.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  MG-1 Tone Source Two Pulse.wav
 Filesize:  117.19 KB
 Downloaded:  1423 Time(s)

varice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Analog Waveform Samples Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are some waveform samples from my Prophet-5 Rev. 3.3 synth.

Prophet-5 Rev3 Oscillator A Saw.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Prophet-5 Rev3 Oscillator A Saw.wav
 Filesize:  127.52 KB
 Downloaded:  1421 Time(s)

Prophet-5 Rev3 Oscillator A Square.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Prophet-5 Rev3 Oscillator A Square.wav
 Filesize:  95.65 KB
 Downloaded:  1444 Time(s)

Prophet-5 Rev3 Oscillator A Saw+Square.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Prophet-5 Rev3 Oscillator A Saw+Square.wav
 Filesize:  96.51 KB
 Downloaded:  1477 Time(s)

varice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Analog Waveform Samples Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are some more waveform samples from my Prophet-5 Rev. 3.3 synth.

Prophet-5 Rev3 Oscillator B Triangle.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Prophet-5 Rev3 Oscillator B Triangle.wav
 Filesize:  126.66 KB
 Downloaded:  1489 Time(s)

Prophet-5 Rev3 Oscillator B Saw+Triangle.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Prophet-5 Rev3 Oscillator B Saw+Triangle.wav
 Filesize:  106.85 KB
 Downloaded:  1443 Time(s)

Prophet-5 Rev3 Oscillator B Triangle+Square.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Prophet-5 Rev3 Oscillator B Triangle+Square.wav
 Filesize:  112.02 KB
 Downloaded:  1435 Time(s)

varice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Analog Waveform Samples Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is on more waveform sample from my Prophet-5 Rev. 3.3 synth.

Prophet-5 Rev3 Oscillator B Saw+Triangle+Square.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Prophet-5 Rev3 Oscillator B Saw+Triangle+Square.wav
 Filesize:  116.32 KB
 Downloaded:  1495 Time(s)

akaie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Analog Waveform Samples Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

varice wrote:
Here are some waveform samples from my MG-1.

thanks Wink
Page 2 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: