electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Front Panel Fonts
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Front Panel Fonts Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Has anyone got any good suggestions for a front panel font?
My ASM2 is deep in design mode and I was wondering if anyone has any particular favourites. Any fonts which look really bad within a short time? The panel is going to be 430mm * 530mm (17" * 21") and will have a lot of text on it, so I want something that's gonna look good but also be easy on the eyes.
At the moment I'm thinking about "Exocet", it's kind of simple, gothic.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

helvetica neue is OK

helvetica_neue.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  helvetica_neue.pdf
 Filesize:  322.29 KB
 Downloaded:  479 Time(s)

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Isonorm is nice

isonorm.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  isonorm.pdf
 Filesize:  122.66 KB
 Downloaded:  311 Time(s)

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like isonorm, the helvetica one is a bit too conservative for me though. Thanks Stein. Smile
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

I like the ISONORM myself. It is kinda geeky and techie in a subtle and stylish way. Good choice.

The full name is FF Isonorm 3098 1.1

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some like Eurostile

Eurostile.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Eurostile.pdf
 Filesize:  262.45 KB
 Downloaded:  613 Time(s)

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess this a good place to ask about panel labels. Is screenprinting the only way to get a non-sticker onto metal or plastic? I keep looking for these mythical things called "rub-on transfers."
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eureka mono

eurekamono.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  eurekamono.pdf
 Filesize:  209.33 KB
 Downloaded:  479 Time(s)

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did a bit of research the other day, and it seems that the old rub down lettering of the '80s is very hard to get these days. Probably has to do with the advent of these new fangled, so called, "computers". The other thing I heard was out there is inkjet water slide decal sheets. These are used alot by model makers, and could be good. But the surface needs to be sealed beforehand, and topcoated afterwards if you're going to get any wear out of it. The thing I'm looking into now is actually computerised laser engraving. This supposedly works for wood and acrylic (the two things I'd like to do front panels out of) but I'm assuming it could be quite expensive. I really want a solution which I'll be able to use at home, anytime, cheaply. I'll post any breakthroughs here.
opg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
I did a bit of research the other day, and it seems that the old rub down lettering of the '80s is very hard to get these days.

From the one thing I've seen in an arts and crafts store, graphite paper was used. I'll check online to see what was used, even if you can't buy actual "kits" anymore.

I also like the idea of engraving. Perhaps a double-layer panel, where the bottom layer (the actual panel that the pots reside) is the color of the font you want. The top layer is thin and an opposite color of the bottom panel. You etch the labels in through the top layer, possibly with something as simple as a Dremel. The process could be like PCB copper lines, but without the acid. You could use a template, but that's getting just as close to and as complex as screenprinting. You avoid the paint, though. Just a spur-of-the-moment idea.

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Century Gothic is very close to the Minimoog font. I still like it.
I think it is one of the standard windows ttf's
sneakthief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Panel Resources and Tutorials

DIY:
http://www.sdiy.org/xyzzy/panels/
http://guitarfool.com/Silkscreen.html
http://monopole.ph.qmw.ac.uk/%7Ethomas/synthdiy/frontpanel.htm
http://www.nehoc.com.au/printgocco/systems/pg5/index.htm

Steven Thomas's panel engraving:
http://www.cncpanels.co.uk/
http://monopole.ph.qmw.ac.uk/%7Ethomas/synthdiy/index.htm

cheers,
michel

Last edited by sneakthief on Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
opg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice! Shocked

Thanks for the links!

I do have a silkscreen, but I've never used it before. My brother is the artist. It looks a bit easier than I thought....

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, thanks heaps. Smile
Through one of those links I found an Australian distributer for Lazertran, which is what I wanted to try out next.

gmeredith

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:

Quote:
I did a bit of research the other day, and it seems that the old rub down lettering of the '80s is very hard to get these days

That rub-on lettering is still around, by a company called Letraset:

http://www.letraset.com/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=17&cat=Rub+Down+Lettering&ssctn=default

They look absolutely fantastic on front panels, because they look like they've been screen printed on. I've still got a couple of sheets left from the 80's in my office drawer!

Cheers, Graham
opg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gmeredith wrote:

That rub-on lettering is still around, by a company called Letraset:

http://www.letraset.com/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=17&cat=Rub+Down+Lettering&ssctn=default

SWEET! Thanks! I'm gonna order some of that!

Joel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, thought I'd resurrect this thread as I wanted to ask about this Lazertran stuff. I've ordered a couple of blank 1U rack faceplates to build things into, and they're gloss black finish. Will Lazertran waterslide work on this, if I print in a fairly vibrant colour like bright red?

If not, any other suggestions?

Cheers, Joel
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I think it would work well. The only consideration is the "fixing" method. It will only be as durable as the lacquer you coat it with. Front panels for instruments such as we make don't actually need to be very durable as the switches and knobs are what is touched, but it would bite if a fingernail ripped through your artwork. I've only just started using this stuff, but I must say the front of the Sorcerer has turned out very durable. I gave it two coats of clear polyurethane, thinned with pure gum turpentine, and applied with a small foam roller. The polyurethane/turps mix fixes the Lazertran by melting the decal substrate. So when you put the first coat on, wet the whole surface gently, not too thick, and then don't mess with it until it's set.
There are lots of other methods for putting artwork on your front panels too. The thing I like about this stuff is I can use any graphic which can be manipulated on the computer, including photos, photoshop etc. and I can design something today, apply it tonight, and start dressing the panel tomorrow. (If I didn't have so many other things to do! Rolling Eyes )
Let me know how you go.

Mikmo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can see how i make panels for my modules here :

http://www.mikmo.dk/synthpanels.html

I use laminating sheets.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: