electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Spectrum tilting
Page 2 of 2 [36 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i knew someone (now the ex husband of a fairly distant relative) who avoided the vietnam draft by bringing a full vacuum cleaner bag to his physical....just before he had to go in, he inhaled a few times, and told the doctors he had bad allergies...it seemed to work for him.

deknow
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just tried out the spacial test 2 patch. That is facinating. The dice button is great. Push it and the sound is static - push again and it jumps all round.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Added a patch to the bottom of the first post in this thread. It contains the most efficient way of patching a stereo tilt filter. It is also probably the most obscure patching to deduct, as mixer modules are used to create the necessary allpass poles.

/Rob
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still sounds great, and now it's even cheaper, thanks very much Rob Very Happy

edit: scratch that, this version sounds better than the original. It could just be me, but I swear the old version sounds a little "blurred" compared to this one. Fantastic work. Very Happy
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree, it sounds crisper or sharper.
richardnixon

G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes! I've finally found the epic "tilt filter" Very Happy I don't know why but this thread had always alluded me and the forum search...maybe I was just giving up too soon.

To further the OT discussions, something deknow said made me do a double take:
deknow wrote:
i have tinnitus to at least a noticable degree (probably a combination of many, many ear infections as a child when every one of the hundreds was treated with antibiotics, and going to loud raves for a few years on a regular basis). i notice it more at some times than others, and i often wonder if it's why i tend towards soundscapes, long delays and reverbs...it matches what is in my head.

I too suffer from tinnitus (thankfully a fairly mild case so far) and I also have a fascination and "draw" towards soundscapes and aural textures. What deknow said made me think back and realize that this fascination grew (and possibly even originated) as the tinnitus grew. Deknow, I think you're onto something. Very weird.

cebec

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Rob, what are the other differences between the old spectrum tilt filter (called 'tone control') and the new one you posted recently? The old one seems to tilt much more dramatically as you approach -64. Is the new one more refined or 'correct'?

Thanks!
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cebec wrote:
Hey Rob, what are the other differences between the old spectrum tilt filter (called 'tone control') and the new one you posted recently? The old one seems to tilt much more dramatically as you approach -64. Is the new one more refined or 'correct'?

Thanks!

There are two curves that I find very useful, one is useful while mastering (and so should sound as neutral as possible) and the other is useful on one single digital instrument (could sound a bit darker or duller, basically to cut out the very high to not let that very high interfere with very high present in other, e.g. acoustic, instruments). The parameters like the pole frequencies and mix ratios for these two curves result from some complex calculations, that I won't bother you with.

In my analog version I implemented one pushbutton next to the tilt knob that just says 'mastering' or 'instrument' mode. I found that several instruments can use quite some heavy 'instrument' mode tilting, e.g. the DSI Evolver, while other instruments can do with just a slight touch in 'mastering' mode, like many Yamaha DX-type FM instruments. The final analog design will probably only have the 'mastering' mode curve, as I found that adding a little high frequency shelving on a mixing desk (e.g. -1dB starting at 4kHz) can conveniently turn the 'mastering' mode into 'instrument' mode without too much boost of the lower end.

The last patch has the 'mastering' curve, which works great on laptop audio outputs, e.g. it works wonders on an iBook. The previous patches are closer to the 'instrument' mode, which I find work well on the G2 when it is used in a mix with delicate acoustic material like e.g. acoustic guitar, delicate vocals, etc.

But in the end it is all a matter of taste and not really hard science. In fact I think the very reason of existence of this spectrum tilting is to get the parameter 'taste' back again into mixing, despite 'the hard science of digital numbers'.

/Rob
cebec

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Makes a lot of sense -- thanks!
rutgerv

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Amazing work Rob! It's really inspiring to see how engineering meets our subjective experience (and liking) of sounds.

I was wondering though: is there a hardware implementation of such a spectrum tilting function? If not, do you think it can be realized? Or are there fundamental problems (e.g. noise, accuracy) in analog electronics that prevent it?

Rutger

p.s. Leuk om te zien dat je een achtergrond bij TNO hebt. Lijkt me een mooie combinatie tussen werk en hobby Smile. Ik ben zelf promovendus aan de universiteit van Nijmegen, op het raakvlak van kunstmatige intelligentie en muziek. En af en toe geeft dat inderdaad ook op synth-gebied nieuwe ideeën.
rutgerv

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have optimized the stereo spectrum tilter a bit more, and added some switching to maintain a better 3dB/oct slope when tilting the high end up and the low end down (this requires different summing weights of the all-pass filter outputs).

Best,

Rutger

stereospectrumtilt_RV.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  stereospectrumtilt_RV.pch2
 Filesize:  1.99 KB
 Downloaded:  4005 Time(s)

Page 2 of 2 [36 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2