electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
A new MIDI Controller/Instrument
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
SonicEd

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: A new MIDI Controller/Instrument
Subject description: Introducing the Sonic Palette
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I've been developing a new MIDI Controller/Musical Instrument for the last few years, and it's finally ready to be seen (and sold).

It's called the Sonic Palette, and you can read all about it at:
www.sonicpal.com

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on it, and would glady answer any questions.

Thanks!
Ed Christensen
edchri@hotmail.com
jksuperstar

G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ALWAYS glad to see a new controller...and yours looks great! I personally play drums & such, so I have to ask...how much responsiveness do you get from your sensors for drum work? do you use conductive rubber (don't have to answer if you feel it's proprietery)? just curious about the feel.

Congrats, looks like a job well done. Any music examples made with it?
SonicEd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your kind words.

I've worked hard to get it fast and responsive and to get the feel just right. It has little hard rubber half-dome bumpers sitting on top of the sensors that are .1" high to provide a tactile reference for your fingers and allow for pressure to come from a slight sideways angle. Over these is a thin, soft and stretchy vinyl laminate that is the visual reference and provides a small amount of additional cushioning. Overall I'd say there is less give then your typical drum machine's rubber pads.

Because of the number of sensors it is possible to assign groups of sensors to the same drum sample allowing you to "drum" your fingers.

Here is an example I quickly put together. There is absolutely no editing, MIDI processing, tempo adjustments, or any other trickery. This is one track recorded straight from the controller though Reason, in one pass.

DrumExample.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DrumExample.mp3
 Filesize:  1.2 MB
 Downloaded:  549 Time(s)

matrix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice. I put up a post on http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com for others to check out as well. What's interesting is that there have been a number of other alternative controllers going up lately. Odd how that happens. Anyway, cool controller. It is refreshing having alternatives out there.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is very cool. Congrats on a great looking design. Thanks for posting here and letting us know about his. I wish you all the best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beautiful design. I love the rosewood! Sounds very responsive from what I can tell from your drum solo sample. You might want to produce some streaming videos of it in action while applying it's control to various music stylings. From classical to experimental electro! Just a suggestion Very Happy

Thanks for the post and good luck !

Bill
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks good, seems interesting, the sample you posted made it seem possible to get expression, was just wondering about this detail
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

what is it good for ?

I saw all the pics on your site, but could not get a clue from it ... that is ... I can imagine things, but would like to read about the design ideas.

Ermm .. maybe I'm too old fashioned Very Happy

SonicEd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good eye. Yep, I was just thinking that the new pics I have on the site do not point out that a guitar strap can be attached for playing while standing or moving. Attached is a prototype with a strap. It wears just like a guitar.

I'm quite happy with the expression that is possible with this controller. Not only does it do velocity well, it can do various types of aftertouch including: channel, polyphonic and the "expression" control change.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

SP05Crim2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.45 KB
 Viewed:  13223 Time(s)

SP05Crim2.jpg

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
from the key layout I see you are thinking to use this alternative controller for 12 notes per octave (7 white keys and 5 black ones). could it be possible to arrange them differently?

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
SonicEd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the notes can be arranged any way you want. There is currently one preset with a rearranged surface, where the (looking at the diagram above) the top left corner in the lowest note and the bottom right is the highest. So it goes chromatically up by moving vertically down the board. Across horizontally would be octaves. The surface laminate is removable so a new (available) graphic representing this arrangement can be installed.

Arrangements other than these can also be done, (I'd be happy to do it) but I would have to do the programming here, as unfortunately there is not user editor at this time.

What did you have in mind as far as another arrangement? I am curious about what others think would work.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SonicEd wrote:

What did you have in mind as far as another arrangement? I am curious about what others think would work.

things like these:
arrow http://www.bikexprt.com/music/bosanqet.htm
arrow http://www.starrlabs.com/keyboards.html
arrow http://www.thummer.com/
Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
SonicEd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for the great links to these brilliant ideas on alternate key layouts. My hardware is currently based on a 12 by 7 grid of sensors, so when I wrote that other arrangements were possible, it would have to be within that constraint for now.

The www.bikexprt.com/music/bosanqet.htm article I had not seen before. I need to look at it more closely. There may be some concepts in there to work into my controller.

I am familiar with Starr Labs and their incredible controllers. They do great work.

I read the patent that is the basis of the Thummer a few years ago. I think the system is great for diatonic music, but may be clumsy for chromatic stuff. (I may be wrong about this.) But it is a good concept.

Thanks again!
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Jump to: